Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you live on Jeju Island?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Would you live on Jeju Island? Reply with quote

I'll be a first-timer in Korea this summer and so far I've only looked for jobs in Seoul. Would you or do you live on Jeju Isalnd? It sounds nice in the descriptions but would it turn out to be a case of 'nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there'?

moved to Q&A by Kimcheeking
Canuck

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you live in paradise? Seriously,it depends on what you want. If you want to live in a huge, exciting, dirty, polluted, crowded city, go to Seoul or Busan or some other large city like Suwon, Daegu or Inchon. If you want to live in a clean, beautiful, warm place, then Jeju would be a geat place. The downside is that its not big and exciting and all the things that Seoul is. Wait, that may not be a downside at all.

Would I live there? Hell yeah! I lived in a small town down south when I first arrived here, and I loved it. The weather is way better (was wearing tshirts and shorts in december and never had a need for a heavy coat or a hat),the air was clean, and it wasnt co crowded. Ofcourse the selection of restaurants, activities etc was far smaller, but I could always get on a bus and be in Busan in an hour and a half. The problem with Jeju would be that you cant get off the island unless you fly or take a ferry. Then again, why would you want to leave? The bar scene in Seoul gets old very quickly.
sickboy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a sociable peson who likes to have fun, go to Seoul. Endy story. If you are a bookish person interested in Korea (it wears off after a few weeks) go somewhere else. It all depends what you want - I couldn't imagine living there. I'm from a tiny Canadian town, and I enjoy all the fun and excitement of a big city. I think Seoul is excellent - and Ive travelled in30 so countries. I got home at 8 this morning - Seoul rocks. If you are into more chilled out locales, then Cheju is a better bet. If you want to meet people, Seoul is the best bet. Then again, Im one of those foreignes who doesn't leave Seoul.

And no, the bar scene doesn't get old!

-sick
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickboy wrote:
And no, the bar scene doesn't get old!

It did for me... after about 18 months...
hazel03

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting question.

i was gonna ask abt Jeju too.

i'm also choosing between Seoul and Jeju. but most likely i'll choose Seoul. i think i'll like Jeju coz i am not a very 'city' person and i enjoy the nature and the greenery. however, the charities that i can choose to work with are mostly in Seoul, especially the big name ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Canuck

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sickboy,

you never leave Seoul yet you have a very strong opinion about the whole country. Strange. For me the bar scene too less than a year to get damn old. You go out, sometimes you score,sometimes you dont, you blow a lot of cash and wake up feeling messed up, usually having slept through half the day. Its a waste of time and a waste of a life.

Seoul is cool, but the rest of the country is just as good. I think Busan may be a better bet than Seoul. Its a very big city, you will find everything you want in terms of a bar scene there, and its in the south, which has the most beautiful places in Korea. Koje-do, Namhae are all pretty close. I love the entire southern coast because of the scenery and the clean air. In Seoul, where are you gonna go if you want to hit the beaches? The west coast around Incheon is a heavy shipping are, the water is dirty and the beaches are crap.
Anda

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

I've lived on Jeju twice. Give me the mainland any day. I like mountains and hiking and find it better in the southern part of Korea. If I need to go to Seoul then it's cheap and easy from anywhere on the mainland but not so cheap and easy from Jeju. Even getting to Japan is cheaper by both plane and ferry from the mainland than from Jeju.

Last edited by Anda on Sun May 18, 2003 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
rapier

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of islands, I know nothing of jeju but I have just spent the weekend on gangwha. I was quite charmed. Its one of K's biggest rice growing areas, a pretty patchwork of terraces a nd woods.the people definitely friendlier than seoulites. The scenery, fairly picturesque.The air, clean and bracing. The range of shops and stores in the capital, gangwha eup, quite adequate. Plenty of rustic farmyards and historical sites. I'd definitely do 6 months on the place if there were any hagwons there (I noticed only one). I love gangwhado! Anyone else been there?
Canuck

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it. Where is it?
sickboy

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you never leave Seoul yet you have a very strong opinion about the whole country. Strange.

And what was that exactly? I don't recall giving strong opinions about the whole country. You have clearly misread my post and are putting words in my mouth.
Canuck

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are a bookish person interested in Korea (it wears off after a few weeks) go somewhere else. It all depends what you want - I couldn't imagine living there.

Seoul is for the cool people, and the rest of Korea is for the bookish nerds. Its so bad you couldnt imagine living there.

I suggest you get out of the city and see what the country has to offer. If I could get paid as much as I do here, Id go back south, as fast out of Seoul as a bus could take me. Believe me. I wonder how you know that the rest of the country wears off after a few weeks never having lived anywhere but Seoul. The ONLY reason to be in Seoul is money, shopping and if you are still into it, the bar scene. Thats the only advantage that Seoul has.

Maybe we just have different priorities, but the only thing that energizes me and keeps me motivated at work are the regular trips I take out of the city. Long weekend coming up, Im gonna spend it on a Namhae beach. I cant imagine how you can never leave Seoul. Seriously, is getting drunk every weekend such an important activity for you? Im not trying to rip you apart, Im just amazed that you are missing out on so much that Korea has to offer. If you go to Thailand do you spend all your time in BKK as well?
rapier

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gangwha island: just over an hour west of seoul by bus. I saw stone age dolmens, temples, a 9th century bhudda standing stone, ate fresh fish caught an hour earlier, petted all the farm animals-cows, horses etc. Refreshing! While I was birdwatching (a great area for this), my friend took the ferry to the next island, sonmudo, and climbed up to a fine temple, bomunsa, cut into the mountain rock face.
I never get bored of leaving seoul behind.
sickboy

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again with the words in my mouth.

Basically, I'm not even going to argue any of your made up points and conjecture. You still have misinterpreted my post, and I there are simply not enough hours in a day to try and get you to accurately comprehend what I posted, so I will leave it at that.

And I will be going to Osaka for my long weekend. Got a problem with that too?
Canuck

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool place to go. Is there a bridge or a ferry? How are the beaches? Summer is coming and Im all about getting to a beach. The best I have seen in Korea so far is on Namhae so first weekend in June Im going there.
rapier

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a bridge onto it. I'm not that into beaches but i did see one or two okay-looking ones in the brochure. But for the price of a cheap bus fare its worth a try, theres plenty of stuff to see and exploring to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: