Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EA's Origin service in Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oublieux

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: EA's Origin service in Korea Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm a huge fan of digital distribution, especially Steam, and I've always been willing to give EA's Origin service a shot. However, if anyone's ever entered the site, you'll know the site localizes the language based on IP (thus, the store ends up being in Korean) and the layout is utterly unintuitive.

Anyway, I might cave when it comes to Mass Effect 3, but I'm worried about one thing primarily: What about the language of the game? Is it in English (menus, dialogue, subtitles) or are some parts localized to Korean?

I know this might be on a game by game basis, but has anyone ordered from Origin in Korea and care to reflect on their experience?
Italy37612

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought Battlefield 3 off of Origin a week ago. I was worried about the language issue as well. However, just like most games these days, it gives you a language choice before you install the game.

As for downloading off the Origin site, you will have to navigate it in Korean. If you have Google Chrome you can use the auto-translate feature and that should make the site navigable enough to make a purchase.
Oublieux

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That was helpful. Would be curious to hear others' experiences with different games though since I tend to be on the cautious side and want to know if other games have that same option.

I really wish EA would make stuff like this clearer.
Italy37612

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://help.ea.com/

Click on the "Talk to a Game Adviser" icon on the right side of the screen. You can talk to a live rep in English (you will probably have to wait for 10 - 15 minutes). This is what I did to check and make sure that Battlefield 3 was in English before I bought it.

Or, I am going to buy it when it comes out. So just ask me again on March 6th.
spanky1off

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh origin is a joke compared to steam. i can understand froma business perspective why they want to rival it. but its service is inferior on so many levels.

and after buying battlefield 3 on release i wouldnt advise anyone to ever buy a newly released game. battlefield 3 was so unfinished with literally hundreds of glitches and bugs. i honetsly think they just rushed it out to beat mw3 to release. one of my private students bought it on my hype only to find it crashed every minute on his pretty beefy gaming system. better to wait 3 months til its out of beta which is what theyre selling u these days.
Grantasmagoria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italy37612 wrote:
I just bought Battlefield 3 off of Origin a week ago.

Did you use a Korean credit card? I talked to a live rep and he said I can't use my US cc on the Korean store. Meanwhile, Steam has no problem with me using the same card Confused . I'd rather not get another credit card just for one game.

EA is so stupid sometimes. I'm perfectly willing to give them my money and yet they tell me no. Might just torrent it or try and snag a retail copy of the Collector's Edition. 60,000 won isn't too bad for all the extra stuff.
phatrick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a vpn connection to connect to the USA store and bought some things with my USA card. I do have a Korean CC so I also have bought some things from Korean store. I did see a box copy of Bf3 at Homeplus tonight for 45,000w and they have it on Gmarket. I bought a Russian copy of it when it was first released for $22.50, which I have had no problems with!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: