Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D10 Looking for work visa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura_F

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: D10 Looking for work visa Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the d10 visa.

My E2 visa will expire at the end of March, and I planned a trip out of the country to collect my pension. After my trip I plan to come back to Korea and hang out/study Korean/live of my pension, for about six months. Since I was planning on getting a tourist visa, the downside is I would have to leave the country every three months.

However I just found out about this d10 visa, which is a looking for work visa, and is good for 6 months.
My question is, if I get the d10 visa, will my pension payment be cancelled? I already applied for the pension payment, and it's supposed to be deposited into my account after I leave the country at the end of the month.

Anyone have any ideas?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: D10 Looking for work visa Reply with quote

Laura_F wrote:
Hi,

My E2 visa will expire at the end of March, and I planned a trip out of the country to collect my pension. After my trip I plan to come back to Korea and hang out/study Korean/live of my pension, for about six months. Since I was planning on getting a tourist visa, the downside is I would have to leave the country every three months.

However I just found out about this d10 visa, which is a looking for work visa, and is good for 6 months.
My question is, if I get the d10 visa, will my pension payment be cancelled? I already applied for the pension payment, and it's supposed to be deposited into my account after I leave the country at the end of the month.

Anyone have any ideas?

You can't collect your pension if you switch and stay on the D10 since your status of sojourn is continuous.

furtakk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: D10 Looking for work visa Reply with quote

Laura_F wrote:
Hi,

Anyone have any ideas?

if you're planning to study korean at an institution you can just get a d4 student visa. if you pay 6 months tuition upfront they will give you a student visa for the entire period. you just need 3 million in the bank.
Laura_F

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, ttompatz.

What about if I left the country, collected my pension, came back on a tourist visa, and then switched to a d10? Do you know if that is possible?

Furtakk, I wasn't planning on studying at an institution. They're expensive! And I can't afford that unless I can get my pension. Right now I'm studying at one of those cultural centers that offer free classes. The class is awesome, but it's only once a week so I was planning on trying out some languages exchanges, too. Do you know of any relatively cheap institutions?
Smithington

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mods: due to the novelty of the new D-10 visa there have been multiple threads recently on this topic. It might be a good idea to combine them - not least because the same questions sometimes reoccur in multiple threads...The d-10 visa can alleviate some of the headaches that ESL teachers experience when dealing with immigration after quitting / getting fired from a job. It's a positive development, and (if known about) can allleviate a lot of stress and anxiety. Perhaps making it a sticky would be a good idea - or at least combine the various threads into one. That way as many people as possible can benefit from this rare positive move by Korean immigration.

Cheers,
Smithington.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura_F wrote:
Thank you, ttompatz.

What about if I left the country, collected my pension, came back on a tourist visa, and then switched to a d10? Do you know if that is possible?

Furtakk, I wasn't planning on studying at an institution. They're expensive! And I can't afford that unless I can get my pension. Right now I'm studying at one of those cultural centers that offer free classes. The class is awesome, but it's only once a week so I was planning on trying out some languages exchanges, too. Do you know of any relatively cheap institutions?

Not possible. D10 is the "looking for work" visa and unless you have a PhD it is simply a bridge visa between jobs.

If you let your status of sojourn end (to collect your pension) then you need to start the E2 process all over again from the beginning.

furtakk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura_F wrote:

the universities are all about 1.5 million for the 3 month full program (20 hours a week). however, if you do the night classes instead it's about 700K for 3 months. i don't know if you can still get a d4 if you do the night program.

most hagwons work out to be the same (they're about 4-500 a month if you do similar hours) and only some of them can sponsor student visas. you could do less class hours, but the class quality is on par with the free classes at the global centres.

if you're going to study for free on a tourist visa, my suggestion would be to double up on free classes. even though the global centres all fall under the same title, they run the classes differently. the one in hongdae uses the sogang books, the one in gwanghwamun uses the kyunghee books, and i'm not sure about itaewon. there are also free classes on saturdays at various places (sukdae is one good example).

the teachers are usually more motivated than hagwon teachers (from my limited experience) and the class quality is on par with night classes at one of the paid university programs.
Laura_F

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!
purplemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too and very curious about this VISA. Are there any other specifics? What are the eligibility requirements? What are the general privileges and restrictions it comes with? Are there any links out there that I've missed?

This seems the most informative: http://www.koreanconsulate.on.ca/en/?b_id=77&c_id=724&mnu=a02b03&start=1

Quote:
Eligible Applicants

"Recognized person by the minister of ministry of justice, who wants do training or job seeking to be Professor(E1), Foreign language Instructor(E2), Research(E3), Technological Guidance(E4), Special Profession(E5), Specially Designated Activities(E7)"
* Experienced worker at world best 300 corporations

- At one of world best 300 corporations announced by FORTUNE,

- Who has working experience for 1 year or more as a indispensable expert, or who has working experience for 5 year

or more as a expert(foreign human-resource who has professional knowledge, technology or ability)

- To check the list of world best 500 corporations announced by FORTUNE, please refer following web-site.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2008/

* Who graduated from world best 200 university (graduate school)

- Who is expecting to graduate or a degree acquirer from world best 200 university(graduate school) announced by

THE TIMES in the United Kingdom in the last 3 years.

- To check the list of world best 200 universities announced by The Times, please refer following web-site.

http://www.paked.net/higher_education/rankings/rankings.com [My edit: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html]

Required Items

Completed visa application form
One recent passport-type colour photo
Passport with remaining validity of at least 6 months, plus a copy
Permanent residency card (work-permit or study-permit document), plus a copy (if applicable)
Flight itinerary issued by a travel agency or an airline. (Applicants are advised not to purchase their tickets until their visas are approved.)
Cdn $50.00 visa fee (Cash or Money order)
Additional items required for this type of visa:
A. For Experienced worker at world best 300 corporations:

A career certificate (employment certificate, etc.)
A letter that includes job seeking or training plan (It should be wrote out by month)
- However, who has worked as a unprofessional worker is not applicable to issue job seeking visa.

B. For Who graduated from world best 200 university(graduate school):

* One of following certificates of scholastic attainments

A certificate of degree attainment issued by the university
A certificate of graduation which includes the degree attainment fact
A certificate of expecting graduation
An original degree(copy of degree should be brought also)
* A letter that includes job seeking or training plan (It should be wrote out by month)

Visa Guideline
Printer Friendly Version
VisaApplicationForm.pdf[69109 Bytes]
In case of applying by mail, a Prepaid Return Envelope (only Xpresspost is accepted) should be included to return the documents. After the visa process allow up to 2~3 working days to put in the mail. It is strongly advised to pick up in person if you have impending travel schedules.

Applying for a Visa

Visa Office Hours Effective
- Application submissions: 9:00 ~ 12:00 (Monday~Friday)
- Pick-up : 9:00 ~ 16:30 (Monday~Friday)

Consulate Jurisdictions and Contact Information
The Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Toronto accepts applications only from residents of Ontario and Manitoba.
Processing Time
The visa processing time is five~ten working days for most visas not including mailing time. The visa process can be delayed due to various reasons.
Applicants are advised not to purchase their tickets until their visas are approved.
Processing time may change depending on the volume of applications received and are not garanteed.
Payment and Envelope
Only money orders are accepted for applications sent by mail (no personal cheques), but cash and money orders are both accepted for applications made in person. Money orders should be made out to the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea.
When applying by mail, a self-addressed return envelope with prepaid postage is required. The return envelope must be Xpresspost from Canada Post. (Envelopes from other couriers such as DHL, Fedex, Purolator, and UPS will not be accepted.)
Third-country Visa Issuance Limitation
Visas will not be issued by a Korean consulate or embassy in a country other than the one where the applicant holds citizenship (except for long-term visa holders in a third country). Applicants who are presently on tourist visas or through visa waiver programs are strongly advised to apply for their new visas in the country of their permanent residence.
Visa Application Form
Click following link to download Visa Application Form.
Only one type of form is used for all visa types. Only completed forms will be accepted.
How to Complete Your Application
Please make sure to complete all sections. Your application will be assessed based on the documentation submitted. Failure to provide complete, truthful and accurate information may result in your application being refused.
Important Information for Completing the Visa Application Form
Read all the instructions carefully before you begin to complete the application forms.
Fill in the forms carefully and completely. Please use a typewriter or print clearly in
black ink.
If there is not enough space to complete any of the sections, please attach an additional sheet. *Write �N/A� if a section is not applicable. Do not leave blanks.
For applicants with a visa issuance number, print the number on the top right of the application.
For E-1 and E-2 visa applicants, provide the full names and complete addresses of post-secondary schools attended. Only graduates of accredited schools are eligible to apply for these types of visas.
Please note that unsigned visa applications will not be accepted.
Instruction for completing visa application
Section
Notes

1~2: Print all names as they appear on the passport. Do not use initials.
5: If the applicant has more than one nationality, print them all.
6: Provide the city and province of birth.
7: Provide the passport number.
8: If the applicant does not have a diplomatic (DP) or an official passport(OP), circle �OR� for ordinary passport.
9~12: Provide passport information in detail. Please print dates in the form Year/Month/Date. Also, please note that the applicant�s passport must be valid for at least 6 months.
14~15: If these sections are not applicable, write �N/A.�
16~18: Print the applicant�s current occupation in the country where
the applicant has been living.
22: Provide a current mailing address, including the postal code and province. Also, please print an e-mail address and cell phone number if available.
23: Provide the place where the applicant plans to stay in Korea. For working visa applicants, print the recruiter�s contact number plus mailing address, e-mail address, and website (if available).
24: Write down all previous visits. Please include details
25: If applicable, specify all previous Korean visas received and include the years they were issued.
31: Provide the name of a guarantor or reference person in Korea. For working visa applicants, print the prospective employer�s contact number plus mailing address, e-mail address, and website (if available).
Photo Specifications
A 3.5 x 4.5 cm passport-type colour photo is required for all visa applications. The photo must have been taken in the last 6 months and should have a white background. Photos which are printed out or which do not meet these specifications will not be accepted.
Additional Documents
The Consulate General of the Republic of Korea reserves the right to request additional documents if deemed necessary.
Validity of Visa
In most cases, visas are valid for 3 months. A visa application can be submitted no earlier than 3 months prior to the planned trip.
Visa Denial
Please note the visa processing fee will not be refunded and all other submitted documents will not be returned regardless of the final decision once the Korean Consulate has started processing the application
US Applicants
Please note that the visa fee for US citizens is $49.50(CAD effective October 1, 2007), regardless of the visa type.
* Please note: Visa regulations are subject to change without notice.

The above was posted 5th January, 2010 so it isn't very current. It also notes that you have to get it issued in your country of citizenship.

I checked here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_Korean_visas#D_visas

But there's nothing there about it.

Also here: http://www.expatinfodesk.com/destinations/seoul/visas/type-of-visa/you-are-looking-for-a-job/ (scarce info)

Does anyone have any more current info from a reputable source?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume on the D10 visa, you have to stay in the country? If I got it and then wanted to leave for 2 or 3 weeks and visit family back then come back, I'd prob not be able to do that?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
I assume on the D10 visa, you have to stay in the country? If I got it and then wanted to leave for 2 or 3 weeks and visit family back then come back, I'd prob not be able to do that?

It is a 6 month residence visa with ARC.

ALL registered foreigners are entitled to re-entry privileges for as long as their ARC remains valid.

Yes, you can go home and return without invalidating your status of sojourn.

da_moler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D10 seems a useful option. Is it possible to quit your job before the end of your contract, and then switch to the D10 without having to leave Korea?
r122925

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

da_moler wrote:
The D10 seems a useful option. Is it possible to quit your job before the end of your contract, and then switch to the D10 without having to leave Korea?

Yes, but if you're quitting before the end of your contract then you'll need a release letter from your employer.
da_moler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r122925 wrote:
da_moler wrote:

Yes, but if you're quitting before the end of your contract then you'll need a release letter from your employer.

Good to know. Thanks for your reply.
c3po

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D-10 sounds great but not being able to collect pension is tough..I called the pension office at 02-2176-8700 and they informed me that it didn't matter what visa you were on- as long as you left the country permanently you could receive your pension..Has anyone had experience with this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: