Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recruiter tells me she needs a 2nd FBI background check +

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fullcollapseCA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Recruiter tells me she needs a 2nd FBI background check + Reply with quote

I just mailed all my documents today to my Hagwon in Daejeon.
-FBI background check + Apostille
-Diploma + Notary + Apostille
-signed contract, 4 passport photos, copy of passport

and now I received a call from my recruiter telling me about a new change depending on the city requesting an additional FBI background check with Apostille and Diploma with apostille. If this is true, I am seriously gonna go crazy. Can anyone confirm this?
akcrono

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, you need 2 "copies", aka not 2 originals. The MOE can forward copies of your original and verify them. Hopefully another user can weigh in with more than "as far as I know".
fullcollapseCA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link:
http://www.jobteachconsulting.com/services/teachinkorea/news.php
Ibsen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that is some sort of cruel joke. Sorry that I can't offer you any info on this as I am in the same boat as you. I should be getting back my CBC with apostille within the next week or so, if I have to go through this 3 month long process again I would go crazy too.

Please update us with what ends up happening as I am also very curious.
fullcollapseCA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by my recruiter that it really depends on the city. For example, it may not apply to those working in Seoul, but teachers in Daejeon, and original FBI background check + Apostille, and diploma copy + apostille are required.

Talk to your recruiter to see if your city requires this as well. I'm going to get my fingerprints done tomorrow!

Sad
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E2 = originals go to immigration.

The MOE WILL accept copies of those originals made by immigration (300 won per copy) after your arrival in Korea.

As an alternative you can also use another set of originals (if you have the time and money to pizz with it).

OTHER visa class (F2/4/5/6) you need originals for the MOE.

fullcollapseCA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recruiter told me they still won't accept copies from immigration
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fullcollapseCA wrote:
My recruiter told me they still won't accept copies from immigration

And my recruiter told me I would love kimchi since it cures everything from AIDS to SARS and zits.

fullcollapseCA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every MOE has a different policy of photocopies. Apparently, Daejeon will not accept copies from the immigration office.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fullcollapseCA wrote:
Every MOE has a different policy of photocopies. Apparently, Daejeon will not accept copies from the immigration office.

There is only one MOE. national ministry of education, science and technology

http://english.mest.go.kr/enMain.do

But if you don't believe me then tell your recruiter that your employment start date will be delayed by 3 months while you wait for a 2nd set of documents to be issued and apostilled.

ja2dared

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told the same thing a couple months ago while I was preparing. I fought it, and had them double check. They said I would only need to get another apostilled degree, and not the CBC(which saved me 2 months, but still an extra $40 down the tube for the apostille).
nachoinkorea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz,

Yes, there is only 1 MOE. However, there are tons of different MOE offices around the country. And all of them are not following the same policy.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago on here, even in Seoul the MOE offices in Jongro, Kangnam, and Shinchon are telling us 3 different things. Some offices will accept copies, some are saying you need originals.

There is also only one Ministry of Justice (for Immigration), but Immigration offices in Seoul, Daegu, and Busan often have very different rules. Seoul Immigration will accept sworn affidavits from consular officers at the respective embassies of E-2 visa holders, Daegu & Busan Immigration will not. Just last week we had Busan Immigration almost deny a candidate because their apostille was "not stamped on the background check"...regardless that that particular country does not "stamp" apostilles but staples them to the document in question. We never have this problem in Seoul, only in Busan.

We have been saying for months that the MOE was going to start requiring these documents. This is what you should know:
1. you need to have them for both Immigration and MOE
2. at some MOE offices copies might be accepted, and others they may not be.

Good luck.
3DR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all these changes, maybe it's time to start telling people to order 5 sets of fingerprints like we used to order transcripts smh.

I got accepted to EPIK and will be headed over in about a week, but I still have 2 originals of my FBI check just in case and will probably just order some more at the middle of the year. Ridiculous.
matty022

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recruiter told me the same thing. I called this morning to see if the FBI could catch it and make me another copy before sending mine out. No dice, it's already in the mail. However, my recruiter did say that you could get in country and begin work with just 1 copy and order a second copy (new fingerprints, application, fee, et al.) and I could wait for it there. No idea how much truth there is to that, but that's what I'm hoping works.

Besides, she says the requirement for 2 originals doesn't take effect until 'mid-2012', but that they are trying to pass along the word about the change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: