Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A sad end to my "Returning after a midnight run" s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
YTMND wrote:
I have been in Asia since July 2003, and I have only finished one 1 year contract.

Please do share the secret of your success.

Ok, well, here's the short version. I don't want to hijack the thread. However, some of what I did the original poster could do to get back on track. Being married to a Korean, they should have an easier time.

I worked at Nova in Japan for 3 months which sucked, I was basically in the original poster's position. I got two plane tickets (the second one was cheaper) to return home, thinking nothing good would happen if I stayed. Then, I got a last "week" offer to work in the city I wanted to work in before ever going. I worked there for 3.5 years on a part-time basis while getting other jobs (allowed in Japan). Can the original poster do this being married? Something to consider.

Then, I went to Korea. After 6 months, the hagwon didn't want to pay and I didn't want to live in that location anymore. Mutual split. Next up was a Seoul job, and the hagwon screwed a Canadian couple out of their last month's pay (along with severance and pension I am sure), then another Canadian couple where the boyfriend just got up and left and the hagwon punished the girlfriend by having her evicted. So, I planned my exit and got the hell out of there. I was threatened by the hagwon, but I went back just to ensure nothing bad would happen (I didn't know about the laws at the time), and after 1 month went "legal" working for GEPIK. Finished the year. Next up was an after school gig in Incheon. The organization running the program had managers and staff leaving because they didn't like it. Finally, a 4th manager and I came to a disagreement but made an agreement for me to leave.

I'll skip my China drama, except for my last school which was run by a Korean American. Even Americans can do stupid stuff. This guy speaks fluent English obviously, so no communication problems. He said he would open a second school, and we all prepared for this. I moved to be closer to the new school. Then, after the move staff started disappearing every other week. First, it was the Chinese staff. He didn't pay them, then the drivers who took younger students from public school to his school. It ended up with one other American teacher and myself. After holidays, Koreans came back and our workload was increasing. So, I asked about overtime because he was understaffed (losing 75% faculty). He refused to pay overtime on the basis I didn't always work all the contracted hours the previous year. I packed up my stuff and moved out that day.

I guess the "secret" of my success is not taking crap from schools. Even though I feel wiser now from all these experiences, my first hagwon job seemed to handle things the best out of all of them. They hired me for a short period of time, I left, and they didn't have to pay severance or airfare back. It was a win win situation. I was able to get some money like the original poster seems to be having problems with (I had to borrow money from my dad during my first month), and then move on.
stew1988

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I go down the overseas application again, does anybody have any tips? Obviously Korean immigration will let me in, however it's apparent that they may inform my prospective employer. This suggests that I need to be honest and forthright with the employer from the outset. I do this and they will most probably want the contact details of my previous school. Give them that and they will most probably hear a bunch of lies that will render me unemployable. Answers on a postcard. Thank you.
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
overseas application

What is that? The documents needed are the same if you are overseas or in Korea.

Quote:
they may inform my prospective employer

No, you telling your new school and recruiter is what gets the ball rolling. You are your own worst enemy in this, not immigration.

Quote:
This suggests that I need to be honest and forthright

Not providing information is not dishonest. If they don't ask, don't tell. Should you tell them about your speeding ticket back in 1994?

You are just giving them more reasons to not hire you. If 2 candidates are competing for the same job, and the other one is saying nothing but you do, who do you think they will hire? It's common sense really.

Quote:
they will most probably hear a bunch of lies that will render me unemployable

Right, so it doesn't matter if you put in a perfect year. After that contract period is over, we are garbage to them. They are no longer interested in helping us. We aren't making them more money so why care? Everyone is a target here.

The solution is to find a school willing to hire you and doesn't care about the past. If they don't ask, don't tell. I have never had a school worry about previous schools. It was always the recruiter because if I didn't stay a year they would have to find a replacement for the school. They wanted to make sure they could get a teacher to fulfill the year "obligation". The school itself didn't seem to mind it that I worked only 6 months here, 6 months there.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you got pretty much the same advice the last time you posted your story.

But anyway, in case you forgot, here's my advice (again). Contact as many recruiters as possible. Tell them that you worked in Korea before but that you left because they school wasn't paying you or because they were going broke and weren't going to be able to pay you, or whatever your story is. Don't be dramatic about it. Just put the facts out there - you didn't want to work for free, and you had financial obligations. Also, don't tell them that you're married to a Korean. Many schools won't want to hire you because they know that they won't be able to control you after you get an F2 visa.
stew1988

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having sent my documents out to this school (adult school), I had 2 interviews. My CV alluded to private work in South Korea and we discussed this over the phone. At no point was I asked about being on an E2 VISA before and as such, I did not mention anything. I did not lie about anything asked, I simply did not tell them that I had an E2 before... my school contacted me telling me they were informed by immigration that I worked in Korea before and that for whatever reason, did not finish my contract. I have of course been dealing with the director of studies....he now tells me that I should probably start looking for other positions as finding out this information means it does not look promising. He said he will contact me again once the manager (Korean lady) contacts my old school...
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But anyway, in case you forgot, here's my advice (again). Contact as many recruiters as possible.

stew1988, you need to look at that. Recruiters, NOT immigration.

Quote:
my school contacted me telling me they were informed by immigration

Huh? Where is the recruiter in all of this?

Quote:
Having sent my documents out to this school (adult school), I had 2 interviews.

1. Recruiter
2. One interview, not two

Don't stir the pot, if they don't ask, don't tell. I don't know what to tell you buddy. You got a Korean wife in Korea, but you stay in your home country. You want to work in Korea, but you aren't accepting jobs through recruiters. Instead, you line up a private gig which has you going to 2 interviews where you tell them about your woes.

Let's try a different approach.

1. Recruiter
2. Get over to Korea, be with your wife (this one should have been obvious when she left)
3. When you are in Korea, one interview, not two

If you can't do those things, maybe you aren't cut out for a relationship with a Korean woman and job in Korea. Good luck. I don't know what more to say.
stew1988

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dare you tell me I'm not cut out for a relationship with a Korean woman or a job in Korea.

I did use recruiters at first and they were useless. The ones I told the truth too either ignored me completely or replied telling me that I am a bad person for leaving the children, completely disregarding what went on.

I decided to apply for jobs that were being advertised by schools directly rather by recruiters. I found an adult hagwon advertising and that was perfect for me. The school had good reviews, I spoke to existing members of staff and the 2 interviews I had with the DOS and the manager went very well. I could now teach adults and it was all looking good. I was not asked anything about my past in Korea, even though I wrote private tutoring on my CV. I did not tell them about my woes and they were impressed by the 2 references that I provided. They liked me for what I am.

Then IMMIGRATION sent a letter to the SCHOOL that informed then I had previously worked in Korea and not finished my contract. This in his words RAISED A RED FLAG. He asked me to explain and I did. He said that things do not look promising and I should probably continue my search for another job. The way he has left it is that I will not get my documents back from him and that the manager will now call my previous school to get their side of events...so essentially it's gone.
YTMND

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stew,

You seem to be in a rut. You aren't listening. You are just retelling the same story over and over again. One last time. NOW LISTEN SON.

I don't think what you did was right. You went through recruiters abroad. I think you should have gone to Korea first, then you could have gone through recruiters.

Second, you should not have mentioned anything about doing a runner. If a school or recruiter deems it important to know, then move on to another offer.

Now, read the above a bajillion times until you realize this is different than what you did. Try it. See what happens. I have had amazing success with this method. I have also done your method, and both times I also had bad results. A third time was when I came to China and was a student instead of a teacher. I left the school. So, you see, planning things from far away DOES NOT always help. You need to be there in person. Interview, shake the school owner's hand, bow, whatever. Face to face.

Good luck.
stew1988

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK YTMND, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your help.

So, what you are saying is to come to Korea with my documents prepared. Contact some recruiters once in Korea and once again, do not refer to my previous exploits in South Korea. Let's say I do this... what's to say the following would not happen...

- I go to a recruiter and he puts me on to a school.
- The school interviews me in person and they like me / offer to give me the job.
- The school arranges for me to do the VISA run to Japan. I do this and then immigration does exactly what it did before and warns the school of my previous E2 VISA. Is this not exactly the same chain of events, just this time in South Korea.

I see where you are coming from though. If this happens in South Korea, it is easy to just collect the documents up and start the process again immediately.
Carbon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....listen to the guy. He seems to have the cut-and-run-then-weasel-into-a-new-position thing down. He must have bad luck choosing hagwons or....well...yeah.

Anyhow, sounds like a winners' formula.
isitts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J#%*@ H. C*�#@$! Stew! Do you need these guys to come over there and kick you in the pants? Smile

You're getting hung up about one school rejecting you?? Get over it. I had 4 or 5 schools fall through on me before landing a position first time I came here. Used a recruiter by the way. That school eventually lost its funding and I went back home for several months. Then I used another recruiter to get another job here.

Granted, I didn't have to pull a runner due to a hagwon boss not paying me, but if some boss weren't paying me, it would have been perfectly within my right to walk from that job. And why would any subsequent employer hold that against you? If they do, find another school. A contract is a two-way agreement. If you're willing to uphold your end of the deal, then you should expect the employer to do the same. If they don't, then they broke the contract, not you.

Or maybe there's something you aren't telling us about what happened with your last employer? Or is it that you just don't want to be with your wife and this is your way of saving face? "Sorry, Honey. I want to be in Korea. Really, I do, but immigration just won't let me."

If it's not one of these two, then I can't figure it out. You're just finding reasons not to come. You don't want to use a recruiter. You find reasons not to get an F2 (or F6). Come on, man! Your wife is over here waiting for you. That should be reason enough to get your ass in gear and find a way over.

Don't take me the wrong way. I'm rooting for you. But you've got to get your head in the right place.
stew1988

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's a case of doing things the wrong way, once again unfortunately...

I decided to find a job of my own back without a recruiter because this enabled me to find a job teaching adults. It enabled me to find a job that I was personally content with due to the fact that I did not want to go back to Korea and find myself in a terrible situation once again.

Of course it's nothing along the lines of me not wanting to go back and be with my wife. That's why South Korea as a country means so much to me. I just saw this as being the best way of approaching the return. I would find a job, that job would pay for my flight and give me a house. We could be together again and start building to the future...it fell through and I am back at square one...

I realize that maybe instead of going about it this way I could have just come over to Korea and started the process from there. At the time however and if this would have come off, I would not be saying that.

Maybe now it does seem as though the aim of the game is to save up and get myself out to Korea and go from there. It's not a case of getting my ass in gear. I have invested every last ounce of energy and money into our relationship and my career in South Korea. I feel that I did indeed go the wrong route. I found a job that does not in fact need me. The whole process has gone right through to immigration and processing my VISA Issuance number and that has takes some time. On the other hand, the company are a big concern and therefore I am expendable, unlike one of the smaller schools that would have most probably been reliant on me arriving for the scheduled start date. My biggest mistake was being picky. Someone on these forums told me once that beggars simply cannot be choosers. If I had have listened, gone through a recruiter, got myself a little hakwon job teaching Elementary kids, then maybe I would be at the embassy now collecting my Passport with the E2 VISA inside. Pretty gutting, but yes, I do need to get my head in gear and try again.
YTMND

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon wrote:
Yeah....listen to the guy. He seems to have the cut-and-run-then-weasel-into-a-new-position thing down. He must have bad luck choosing hagwons or....well...yeah.

Anyhow, sounds like a winners' formula.

I stayed at a good school for 3.5 years, but that doesn't mean that was good for me either. I don't think your stereotype that longer is better is accurate.

We don't hear about the good stories on here, usually it's the problem schools people post about. So, if you are only going to address 100% of the bad experiences I can see how you made those comments. Others on here, especially isitts, seem to get it.
isitts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the gift of time and/or money, you can be picky. If not, then you do what you gotta do.

I've had some wrong paths, too. And just like you, I didn't know bout the D10 last time I was here. I'm not sure I would have gone back to the States if I'd known about it. But it worked out fine anyway. And I based my decision on the best information I had at the time.

By the way, I'm not really suggesting coming here first. Actually, even if I had known about the D10, it still would have been difficult to get my FBI CBC and diploma apostilled from Korea. But that's a side point. Anyway, it's fine that some people are comfortable just showing up and hitting the bricks, but I've never been comfortable doing that. But to each their own.

All I'm saying is don't get bent out of shape just because one school took to heart what immi told them. If you've already had a streak of bad luck in your home country with the job search, then your disappointment over this one school is understandable. But you just gotta keep at it. There are other schools and you've still got better odds here than there.

Anyway, get your documents ready, apply (either from there or come here first...though I vote for the former) for whatever job you can get in Korea, then change your visa to an F visa after you get here...earning the money you need for that F visa via your job here (presuming it's even necessary).
YTMND

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That school eventually lost its funding and I went back home for several months. Then I used another recruiter to get another job here.

+2 Exclamation

Quote:
And why would any subsequent employer hold that against you? If they do, find another school.

+2 Exclamation

Quote:
You're just finding reasons not to come.

+2 Exclamation

Quote:
Come on, man! Your wife is over here waiting for you. That should be reason enough to get your ass in gear and find a way over.

+2 Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: