Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A sad end to my "Returning after a midnight run" s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except the rejection did not come from kimmi, it came from the employer who refused to sponsor his visa....
ontheway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Except the rejection did not come from kimmi, it came from the employer who refused to sponsor his visa....

True. This would seem to be the case of information bad enough to pass on to a school and not necessarily bad enough to be rejected by Immigration, so the OP shouldn't give up.

(I believe in second chances.)
stew1988

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do reckon I can still get back into Korea in some shape or form. I've been speaking to recruiters and have laid my cards on the table. Some of the responses I've got have been more productive than others of course..

- Some replies have been simple and to the point..."you ran away, we cannot help you get another E2"...fair enough.

- Others have said they understand, however want to contact my previous employer in order to gain both sides of the story.

- One recruiter (an American one), have been sympathetic and suggested a Public School position to me. They said that this may be the best option because I do not require a VISA Issuance number from immigration with them, I just require a notice of employment that I take to my Korean Embassy. They have been helpful, however the Public school application form does ask questions that make things difficult. They ask if I have ever broken a teaching contract before. They also ask me to provide the contact details of any previous schools I worked for in Korea. The recruitment company simply said not to worry about it and they will handle it their end...

- Another recruiter is willing to help and is looking into various private positions as we speak. She says that YBM can simply forward my documents on to the next job...I can sign, scan and send the employment contract to her and supply a letter to immigration that explains any previous troubles I may have had in Korea.

I would like to hear any opinions on these possibilities. Preferably no unproductive tripe about me being a troll or me being a brainless fool please.

Cheers.
stew1988

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of there being anything more to my situation than I am letting on, what can I say? We live in a world in which I can come on here and say one thing to a Forum community and my previous employers can say whatever they wish about me to the Korean Immigration. All I can say is that my previous recruiter and school were not the nicest characters you will ever meet. Upon leaving my previous job, I received threats of physical violence from my recruiter and threats to severely hurt me if I did not come back to work. But then again, that could just be me making things up....

As I said, these are the types of people that would have reported nonsense to immigration and been deliberately vindictive.
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, take your hand out of the cookie jar. Stop waving your face around with chocolate bits on your lips and wash up. Pretend you never came to Korea before. Start new. Get an E2, then change it to an F visa (associated with your marriage).

Come on now, one foot in front of the other.
stew1988

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you know what a sucker I am for those cookies, especially the Kimchi flavoured variety...well, yes, I do intend to get an E2, make a fresh start and potential transfer to an F2 in time and reap the rewards...my question was merely about the way of doing things with regards to the feedback I have received from certain recruiters...

I am going down the route of telling recruiters the truth. I told porkies last time (Pork Pies = lies) and it didn't exactly get me too far. I do believe in the chain of thought that immigration have information on me that is bad enough to divulge it to a prospective employer, however not serious enough to reject me in an instant. IMO, my best chance is to just lay my cards on the table and see what comes of it.

Thanks for the advice, I will indeed place one foot in front of the other, much appreciated.
yfb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it practically possible to get an E2 then transfer to an F6 (marriage visas are not F2 anymore since jan 2012) soon afterwards?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Chance wrote:
If you really feel this lady is the one, do whatever it takes.

Do you really? There are love affairs (can be quite deep and involved), and then there is marriage...Korean in-laws can be quite counterproductive when they put their mind to it...I can easily imagine a scenario where you manage to finally secure a decent job after going through hell and highwater, only to see your wife persuaded to give up on her side...wouldn't be the first time that a Korean girl's jumped ship...

Having said that, if she's really the one, u gotta do what ya gotta do. Get to it, limey!...I mean, matey...er, whatever it is they say over there Smile

Don't underestimate the constant social pressure people put on each other here. If her friends or family don't like you or like foriegners, she'll get it over and over. "Why are you with him?" "Here's a guy here for you to date." "Bla, bla, bla."

Hurry up and get back over here...
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontheway wrote:
Troglodyte wrote:
YTMND wrote:
Quote:
I wonder what advice other runners could give him to get him a job? Former runners chime in for him please?

His failure to obtain a job is his own doing. He wants all potential employers and recruiters to know about this runner. When advised to go in person he seems to not like this idea. In addition, he was doing privates on the side. His pronunciation and photo must be real good to trump others who aren't telling recruiters and schools about their "extracurricular" activities Razz

I would certainly go to Korea and meet with schools in person. Explaining the situation during an interview, if asked, would be much better than writing some anonymous letter saying that you pulled a runner.

I suspect that there's more to it that he's not telling us...

This could be. We only have one side of the story. Hundreds of people have come back after runners. Immigration generally doesn't care.

However, when more serious issues about a teacher are reported to Immigration they will make note of them, keep them on file and they will give notice to a school about them. In extreme cases Immigration will deny a visa based on such information, at least until the information has been refuted.

As to the OP, it's more likely he just needs to find a different job, present himself well and he can get his visa.

What situation could cause this? I mean any hogwon with bitterness their employee left could make up some lie for revenge. He was drunk, he had sex with a student, etc... Would immigration actually report this or wait until there were some kind of police charges as proof? Let's hope that K Immi doesn't just go along with hearsay because that would be pretty disturbing.
YTMND

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Employer,

I am married to a Korean woman who left me to go back to Korea. Now, I am in my home country after waiting till pay day (probably) and pulling a runner.

So, will you hire me? Crying or Very sad
stew1988

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently YTMND, you gain some kind of pleasure in coming to these forums and consistently poking fun at my life and my situation..Jesus, and I thought my life was bad...
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stew1988 wrote:
Evidently YTMND, you gain some kind of pleasure in coming to these forums and consistently poking fun at my life and my situation..Jesus, and I thought my life was bad...

Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood your plight. Good luck with your future attempts getting back to Korea.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
ontheway wrote:
Troglodyte wrote:
YTMND wrote:
Quote:
I wonder what advice other runners could give him to get him a job? Former runners chime in for him please?

His failure to obtain a job is his own doing. He wants all potential employers and recruiters to know about this runner. When advised to go in person he seems to not like this idea. In addition, he was doing privates on the side. His pronunciation and photo must be real good to trump others who aren't telling recruiters and schools about their "extracurricular" activities Razz

I would certainly go to Korea and meet with schools in person. Explaining the situation during an interview, if asked, would be much better than writing some anonymous letter saying that you pulled a runner.

This could be. We only have one side of the story. Hundreds of people have come back after runners. Immigration generally doesn't care.

However, when more serious issues about a teacher are reported to Immigration they will make note of them, keep them on file and they will give notice to a school about them. In extreme cases Immigration will deny a visa based on such information, at least until the information has been refuted.

As to the OP, it's more likely he just needs to find a different job, present himself well and he can get his visa.

What situation could cause this? I mean any hogwon with bitterness their employee left could make up some lie for revenge. He was drunk, he had sex with a student, etc... Would immigration actually report this or wait until there were some kind of police charges as proof? Let's hope that K Immi doesn't just go along with hearsay because that would be pretty disturbing.

Once more, the OP did not get his visa denied by Kimmi. His potential employer refused to sponsor his visa due to his previous employer and his running out on them. If the employer refuses to sponsor you, your visa is dead in the water and that has nothing to do with Kimmi.
ontheway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:
ontheway wrote:
Troglodyte wrote:
YTMND wrote:
Quote:

Once more, the OP did not get his visa denied by Kimmi. His potential employer refused to sponsor his visa due to his previous employer and his running out on them. If the employer refuses to sponsor you, your visa is dead in the water and that has nothing to do with Kimmi.

The school refused to sponsor the visa based on information supplied by Immigration.

Immigration has information on file about some teachers. In some cases they do and say nothing. In some cases they pass the information on to the school that wants to hire the teacher - hiring is up to the school (the OP's case). In some cases they warn the school in advance that the teacher will be rejected, so the school doesn't go through with the application and saves the fee, and in some cases the application is filed and Immigration declines the application.
meangradin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last time OP, if you are in Korea and applying for jobs, you are far more likely to get hired and on your own terms. If you are married and your wife has all your information (i.e., wedding certificate and such) have her start the process now. I really don't understand why you are even trying to be sponsored by an employer when you can be your own sponsor. You do know that you can ask for an apartment from a job you secure in Korea, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: