Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to the English KTX Ticket machines???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sluggo832004

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: What happened to the English KTX Ticket machines??? Reply with quote

Theres no English version anymore. Its a Conspiracy to get foreigners to learn the language!!! Twisted Evil

But seriously, I asked the workers they just shrugged and said "I dont know".

The KTX machines had a perfect English version for you to use to buy tickets. Now its all gone. All Korean. WHATS THE DEAL GUYS??? Sad
warmachinenkorea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that yesterday. I had problems with it taking my debit card from the States. It wouldn't take it in Seoul or Daejeon.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they're updating the software. Maybe Koreans are taking more pride in their language and expecting all foreigners, even short-term tourists, to learn some basic Korean. If the staff doesn't know, how would anybody on here know?

In any case, if you've been living here a couple years I'd hope you know enough Korean to be able to buy a ticket using the language. Sad Basic Korean ain't that hard to learn.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those machines do have a new set-up in the program. The home screen is totally different, and actually a bit more complicated than the previous setup.

The English is probably like the English version of the immigration website. When trying to click on some visa status, a popup appears saying the info is under revision, and prompted to download two files ONLY IN KOREAN with the information. Popup has been saying for months it will be ready soon (First say it would be ready Dec31st...now says Jan 30...but if you look at it today on Feb. 17..the information is STILL not available.

In short..such translation is not a high priority, and they will likely not get around to changing it in regards to the ticketing machines until the next somewhat large international event happens in Korea.
diver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might be doing a general overhaul of their operations. They have disconnected the use of discount cards (할인 카드) as well. I sued to use the "Business Card' which gave me 30% off weekday travel and 15% off of weekend travel. They still offer discounts through the web site, but only for a limited amount of seats per train (whereas I got the discount for any ticket I bought using my card). The discounted tickets sell out fast, so you'll have to plan your travel far ahead to get the discount, and they don't offer it on weekends Sad I don't think the discounts are available on the English web site, you'll have to get them through the Korean web site.

I do like that you can now choose your actual seat (which you couldn't do before). So that's an improvement. I always got stuck in car 7 which is where Korail has decided to sell off their luggage space to courier companies (to the detriment of their paying customers) and never had anywhere to put my large bags Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: