Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K-pop is HUGE in the West.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moondoggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply put... these posters including the op are in denial.
just don't want to believe what they've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GRP1rkE4O0
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moondoggy wrote:

Just confirms there are a lot of dweeby geeks out there Smile

Sure wish I could speak/sing Korean with a faux gangsta accent, and pose in a faux New York street like I lived in the hood Laughing
Julius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girls generation made No. 5 on the billboard chart.

Thats the K-pop billboard chart.)
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Chance wrote:
Moondoggy wrote:

Sure wish I could speak/sing Korean with a faux gangsta accent, and pose in a faux New York street like I lived in the hood Laughing

Yeah, who the hell likes that, other than the babysitting CD money crowd who creates these fake ass markets in the first place. That song was just horrible within any comparable measure. We're talking about mid-teenager music here, folks. If you're beyond seventeen and you listen to this stuff, you're Korean or you got some issues.
Moondoggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfromtheway wrote:
Dave Chance wrote:
Moondoggy wrote:

Yeah, who the hell likes that, other than the babysitting CD money crowd who creates these fake ass markets in the first place. That song was just horrible within any comparable measure. We're talking about mid-teenager music here, folks. If you're beyond seventeen and you listen to this stuff, you're Korean or you got some issues.

i believe you're not korean but you got some serious issues.
not healthy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ILE4IUvcHM
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'll keep my 'seriously issues' to myself, and I won't let them erode my brain into enjoying juvenile teeny bop music. Keep it 'tarded, LA K's.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Asians want respect in the West then they need to keep doing what they're good at: i.e. be able to run the pick and roll, be funny, know kung-fu or be a sexy broadcaster.
justpale

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
K pop is not popular in the west with westerners
might be popular with koreans or other asians residing there.
but with natives and I mean folk born
there and raised , not including Kyopos it will NEVER get air play.
the day I see Big bang on MTV America, or nominated for a Grammy for best pop group and packing arenas across the states with white kids, then I will say K pop is popular.. until then.. keep dreaming.

might be?

is!

Mostly teenyboppers, but pretty much all young (under 25 y.o.) Asian Americans that I know like it, no matter what their specific Asian-icity is. The Wonder Girls toured with the Jonas brothers a while back. And Big Bang is apparently hosting some kind of cover video contest.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfromtheway wrote:
Then I'll keep my 'seriously issues' to myself, and I won't let them erode my brain into enjoying juvenile teeny bop music. Keep it 'tarded, LA K's.

The belief that music dictates your intelligence or your character is the belief of a peawit. Might as well say that clothes or what you eat is a reflector of that.

There's certainly aspects of it which reflect well or poorly on someone, but nothing that I'd take too seriously.

Quote:
might be?

is!

not
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
The belief that music dictates your intelligence or your character is the belief of a peawit. Might as well say that clothes or what you eat is a reflector of that.

Did I say that? Actually, I recall YOU saying that when you criticized people's dress habits.

Is there a direct link between music taste and intelligence or character? No... but it can certainly say a lot about those things. You're Korean, we get it. But, if you're a non-Korean adult male and you're listening to this pitiful excuse for music, you got some problems in my book.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfromtheway wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Did I say that? Actually, I recall YOU saying that when you criticized people's dress habits.

Is there a direct link between music taste and intelligence or character? No... but it can certainly say a lot about those things. You're Korean, we get it. But, if you're a non-Korean adult male and you're listening to this pitiful excuse for music, you got some problems in my book.

You are right, I did say that dress reflects on character. Actually, I'll modify my statement to say that in some cases dress reflects on character, whereas music almost never does.

No, I'm American thank you. And I don't listen to all K-pop. Some of the more catchy tuned fall under the guilty pleasure category of "hey the beats all right" but bye and large the preferred songs are ballads and R&B. Think Gavy NJ rather than SNSD.

I think you need to stop taking music so seriously and using it to form judgments about people. I think music is not the best way to judge someone's character and I think anyone who does choose music as a way to do so is a peawit. I think college educated adults would have better critical thinking than that.

Last edited by Steelrails on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some French people like it.
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had your feelings hurt more than once because of your affinity for little girl music, haven't you, derails? Do you still play with dolls too? If someone likes music I don't like, I'll almost always just look the other way. However, when it comes to Asian teeny bop rip-off pop... Nah, you gotta be extraordinarily lame to like that stuff, sorry.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfromtheway wrote:
You've had your feelings hurt more than once because of your affinity for little girl music, haven't you, derails? Do you still play with dolls too? If someone likes music I don't like, I'll almost always just look the other way. However, when it comes to Asian teeny bop rip-off pop... Nah, you gotta be extraordinarily lame to like that stuff, sorry.

I know people who work for charity and volunteer and stuff and work in nursing homes who like that stuff.

I certainly don't consider them lame.

I do think that if you think people who do that are lame because of their music then there is a word for someone like that: peawit. And their critical thinking isn't working too well.
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
jfromtheway wrote:

I know people who work for charity and volunteer and stuff and work in nursing homes who like that stuff.

I certainly don't consider them lame.

I do think that if you think people who do that are lame because of their music then there is a word for someone like that: peawit. And their critical thinking isn't working too well.

lol, critical thinking? We haven't even broached reality here. Let's do that now:

YOU like little girl pop music, so YOU defend it. This is YOU being insecure, this is YOU having poor taste in music, this is YOU getting your panties in a ball and becoming awkwardly defensive because YOU can't come to grips with your deep insecurities and fevered ego. The rest of what you said is a guide to how NOT to use individual relativism as the backbone of an argument.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: