Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K-pop is HUGE in the West.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfromtheway wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
jfromtheway wrote:
You've had your feelings hurt more than once because of your affinity for little girl music, haven't you, derails? Do you still play with dolls too? If someone likes music I don't like, I'll almost always just look the other way. However, when it comes to Asian teeny bop rip-off pop... Nah, you gotta be extraordinarily lame to like that stuff, sorry.

I know people who work for charity and volunteer and stuff and work in nursing homes who like that stuff.

I certainly don't consider them lame.

I do think that if you think people who do that are lame because of their music then there is a word for someone like that: peawit. And their critical thinking isn't working too well.

lol, critical thinking? We haven't even broached reality here. Let's do that now:

YOU like little girl pop music, so YOU defend it. This is YOU being insecure, this is YOU having poor taste in music, this is YOU getting your panties in a ball and becoming awkwardly defensive because YOU can't come to grips with your deep insecurities and fevered ego. The rest of what you said is a guide to how NOT to use individual relativism as the backbone of an argument.

Wait, so the person throwing terms out like "little girl", "panties in a ball" based on nothing more than musical preferences, is calling me insecure?

Why is it such a big deal to you what music someone likes? Why is that such an issue for you over whether or not they're a worthwhile human being? You know, you can just say "I think it's crap music." There's no reason or basis for using musical taste to judge someone's character and maturity.

Just because I like some K-Pop does not mean I like all K-Pop and it does not mean that that is the only music I listen to. No K-Pop is not some masterpiece, but that's not the point. Judge it on what it is trying to accomplish and whether it executes that, not on the fact that it isn't whatever genre of music it is that you enjoy.

Basically you're saying that because, I dunno, Paul Blartt, isn't a well done Western, that that makes it a crappy movie. Well that's not what's it's trying to be, and it's not meant to be some "Great movie". But is it accomplishing what it's trying to do? Be a good waste of time, maybe something you can take your 12 year old brother to and not want to hang yourself while watching it? Maybe there's parts of it you enjoy.

The point is, one should be honest with how they react to music or film and not try to deny that just to appear "cultured" or to impress people. Some K-Pop songs are catchy and I find myself enjoying them. Why should I be judged as some sort of "little girl" because of that? That doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to classical and jazz or bluegrass or funk or neo-soul or Old Country.

Now I will say that someone who gets so bent out of shape over that and starts judging people based on their music (which has nothing to do with the content of your character). Why is that such a big deal? Why does someone saying "I like Kpop" bother you so much? Sorry, but judging people's character based on the music they listen to is absolutely retarded. I've known too many good people who listened to crappy music, and too many people who I wouldn't ever trust who listened to good music to use music as some sort of judge of character or maturity or anything else that truly counts in the adult world. I do think that someone who bases friendships and judges character based on musical taste is acting like some high schooler and seriously needs to grow up.
itistime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I've known too many good people who listened to crappy music, and too many people who I wouldn't ever trust who listened to good music to use music as some sort of judge of character or maturity or anything else that truly counts in the adult world."

I have also know many good people that listen to crap music. I just know to not trust their recommends with music/arts/movies and the like. I think you can judge one's maturity on musical tastes, though.
adzee1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
Now I will say that someone who gets so bent out of shape over that and starts judging people based on their music (which has nothing to do with the content of your character). Why is that such a big deal? Why does someone saying "I like Kpop" bother you so much? Sorry, but judging people's character based on the music they listen to is absolutely retarded. I've known too many good people who listened to crappy music, and too many people who I wouldn't ever trust who listened to good music to use music as some sort of judge of character or maturity or anything else that truly counts in the adult world. I do think that someone who bases friendships and judges character based on musical taste is acting like some high schooler and seriously needs to grow up.[/quote]

Music does most certainly influence the content of someones character, I think you find very often that groups of friends in schools and universities usually share a common interest in music.

Or at least that was the case where I grew up and at my Uni, sure it may vary slightly but in general the people who liked good, usually alternative, music were friends, and the people who liked mainstream crap (aka pop + chart music ) were friends.

It wasnt a conscious decision to not spend time with these people because of their musical tastes but it does show that similar tastes in music = similar personalities / common interests.

Finally its only my opinion Smile but if you are a fully grown man and you listen to Kpop and enjoy it, then yes it kind of does make you a bit of a "little girl " or just someone with really bad taste in music .....
Ibsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
K pop is not popular in the west with westerners
might be popular with koreans or other asians residing there.
but with natives and I mean folk born
there and raised , not including Kyopos it will NEVER get air play.
the day I see Big bang on MTV America, or nominated for a Grammy for best pop group and packing arenas across the states with white kids, then I will say K pop is popular.. until then.. keep dreaming.

Agreed for the most part, Wonder Girls were technically on MTV in America once or twice, but I haven't seen or heard much about them in America since then, and definitely haven't heard their songs on the radio.

My Korean friends occasionally listen to K-Pop or Korean Hip Hop, but even among Koreans living in America, it's a pretty niche music genre (from my experience). The Koreans I do know who listen to K-Pop generally only listen to one or two groups, and even then only listen to the songs occasionally.
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
jfromtheway wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
jfromtheway wrote:
You've had your feelings hurt more than once because of your affinity for little girl music, haven't you, derails? Do you still play with dolls too? If someone likes music I don't like, I'll almost always just look the other way. However, when it comes to Asian teeny bop rip-off pop... Nah, you gotta be extraordinarily lame to like that stuff, sorry.

I know people who work for charity and volunteer and stuff and work in nursing homes who like that stuff.

I do think that if you think people who do that are lame because of their music then there is a word for someone like that: peawit. And their critical thinking isn't working too well.

lol, critical thinking? We haven't even broached reality here. Let's do that now:

YOU like little girl pop music, so YOU defend it. This is YOU being insecure, this is YOU having poor taste in music, this is YOU getting your panties in a ball and becoming awkwardly defensive because YOU can't come to grips with your deep insecurities and fevered ego. The rest of what you said is a guide to how NOT to use individual relativism as the backbone of an argument.

Wait, so the person throwing terms out like "little girl", "panties in a ball" based on nothing more than musical preferences, is calling me insecure?

Why is it such a big deal to you what music someone likes? Why is that such an issue for you over whether or not they're a worthwhile human being? You know, you can just say "I think it's crap music." There's no reason or basis for using musical taste to judge someone's character and maturity.

Just because I like some K-Pop does not mean I like all K-Pop and it does not mean that that is the only music I listen to. No K-Pop is not some masterpiece, but that's not the point. Judge it on what it is trying to accomplish and whether it executes that, not on the fact that it isn't whatever genre of music it is that you enjoy.

Basically you're saying that because, I dunno, Paul Blartt, isn't a well done Western, that that makes it a crappy movie. Well that's not what's it's trying to be, and it's not meant to be some "Great movie". But is it accomplishing what it's trying to do? Be a good waste of time, maybe something you can take your 12 year old brother to and not want to hang yourself while watching it? Maybe there's parts of it you enjoy.

The point is, one should be honest with how they react to music or film and not try to deny that just to appear "cultured" or to impress people. Some K-Pop songs are catchy and I find myself enjoying them. Why should I be judged as some sort of "little girl" because of that? That doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to classical and jazz or bluegrass or funk or neo-soul or Old Country.

Now I will say that someone who gets so bent out of shape over that and starts judging people based on their music (which has nothing to do with the content of your character). Why is that such a big deal? Why does someone saying "I like Kpop" bother you so much? Sorry, but judging people's character based on the music they listen to is absolutely retarded. I've known too many good people who listened to crappy music, and too many people who I wouldn't ever trust who listened to good music to use music as some sort of judge of character or maturity or anything else that truly counts in the adult world. I do think that someone who bases friendships and judges character based on musical taste is acting like some high schooler and seriously needs to grow up.

Well, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to read all of that. You're attempting to put forward a general argument, but ultimately you're just swishing around in your skirt (in awkwardly defensive fashion, no less) trying to justify why you listening to little girl music has nothing to do with your character. I gave you a pass since you're Korean but I guess it must be difficult for you to come to terms with the psychological meanings of your actions and enjoyments. I mean, good luck, it's a long way down for a man in his 40s idolizing 14 year old girls who lip sync music that was made by a machine. I know you must feel lost at times and I'm sorry for you, truly. In general, adults who listen to government approved pop music are tools, they are weak individuals comprised of poor character traits and immature emotional faculties. Not everybody... but taste is indicative of character and most people, quite simply, have as much taste as the bottom of my feet.
Julius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfromtheway wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
jfromtheway wrote:

Its not only K-pop. Its popular culture around the world that is largely fake and empty. Its meaningless.

When I see hundreds of fans screaming or crying at the sight of another media product...i gaze in wondering pity.
fosterman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, which guy doesn't enjoying looking at pretty girls dancing around in slutty clothes and sucking their finger and giving you a wink while dancing to some music which 90% of guys are not listening to anyway?

Kpop is popular in the west???! ok, because western guys like WOMEN!
and this is exactly how these girl bands are marketed here locally.
for the older perv men crowd. men over 40's love girl bands.
wonder why.
The same crowd you will see dancing on the table with their ties around their head in the room salon with their private room girls. who look like tiffany or who ever singing kareoke to Girls generation and know all the words..
they are trying to sell these girls_the Wonder girls to American boys.
but they forgot one important factor.
western guys like girls who can actually fill out a pair of jeans and a bra.
so epic fail!
and most western girls, well the ones I know anyway, are not into Metrosexual, opps I mean boarder line girl looking soft boys.
where I am from they would be called (--------------) so....
goodluck with Kpop in the west..
brickabrack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

... but taste is indicative of character and most people, quite simply, have as much taste as the bottom of my feet.

Cool beautiful
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the global nature of pop music these days there's no reason why an Asian band can't be successful in the West. You give them Western style lyrics and music, Western fashion, provide a Western setting for the video and song writers who are either Western or influenced by the style. The only thing stopping you the is the inherent prejudice amongst potential teeny bopper fans in the UK and USA who believe they somehow have the monopoly on what is cool. The French have never been bothered about pop music in that way so there's a big potential market there. As I've said before though, I don't think they'll ever really make it by backing a 'Korean wave'. It reminds people too much of those X factor and pop idol tours where people are drawn towards the concept rather than the music. That's destined to have a really short life span
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moondoggy wrote:
jfromtheway wrote:
Dave Chance wrote:
Moondoggy wrote:
simply put... these posters including the op are in denial.
just don't want to believe what they've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GRP1rkE4O0

Just confirms there are a lot of dweeby geeks out there Smile

Sure wish I could speak/sing Korean with a faux gangsta accent, and pose in a faux New York street like I lived in the hood Laughing

Yeah, who the hell likes that, other than the babysitting CD money crowd who creates these fake ass markets in the first place. That song was just horrible within any comparable measure. We're talking about mid-teenager music here, folks. If you're beyond seventeen and you listen to this stuff, you're Korean or you got some issues.

i believe you're not korean but you got some serious issues.
not healthy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ILE4IUvcHM

I went to a Metalica concert here in Seoul a few years back and the crowd at Jamsil Arena was similar.

Is Metalica popular in South Korea?

No but it has a niche market with the locals and popular with many of the foreigners living in the country.

It's the same with k-pop in France.
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mistifying to me that people here want Korean music and food to be popular worldwide when a far better cultural export already exists- their films.
justpale

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sing along with supermarket jingles.

Home Plus Plus...
Home Plus Plus...
something something something
Home Plus!

and then I imagine I'm smashing a guitar on the store floor. Cool
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you can judge one's maturity on musical tastes, though.

I don't think so. You know, a lot of people out there aren't that into music. It's not some obsession for them and they don't use it as a way of expressing or defining themselves. I've known some very mature people who just put on pop or easy listening or smooth jazz or the blandest of oldies. They just have other priorities than music.

Really, I don't see anything mature about judging people based on what music they listen to. Frankly, that reminds me of stuff out of high school.

Quote:
Music does most certainly influence the content of someones character

What music you listen to has no bearing on whether or not you are a moral and ethical person. It is those things that determine character, not what music you listen to.

Quote:
but if you are a fully grown man and you listen to Kpop and enjoy it, then yes it kind of does make you a bit of a "little girl " or just someone with really bad taste in music .....

The misogyny and homophobia in phrases like that is really sad. High school is over.

And what if someone listens to a bunch of "good" music but every now and then puts on the KPop? What if its a guilty pleasure? Occasionally watching popcorn movies or eating a Big Mac doesn't make someone a juvenile in terms of their films or what they eat. That's just silly.

Quote:
I mean, good luck, it's a long way down for a man in his 40s idolizing 14 year old girls who lip sync music that was made by a machine.

Just because someone listens to Kpop and enjoys some songs, doesn't make them an obsessed fan with a bunch of calenders and stuff.

Quote:
Not everybody... but taste is indicative of character and most people, quite simply, have as much taste as the bottom of my feet.

Between the homophobia and misogyny in your comments, as well as using music as a way to judge people's moral character and deciding that "good" people are those who listen to certain kinds of music, it's pretty clear that you are wanting in character.

Silly me, I view things like honesty, morality, ethics, trustworthiness, compassion, humility, kindness, tenderness, patience, and the like as indicative of character. But I guess I'm wrong- it's about whether you have the same taste in music as jfromtheway.

People with character don't judge people's morality and ethics based on what music they listen to. Juveniles do that, not adults.
adzee1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
I think you can judge one's maturity on musical tastes, though.

I don't think so. You know, a lot of people out there aren't that into music. It's not some obsession for them and they don't use it as a way of expressing or defining themselves. I've known some very mature people who just put on pop or easy listening or smooth jazz or the blandest of oldies. They just have other priorities than music.

Really, I don't see anything mature about judging people based on what music they listen to. Frankly, that reminds me of stuff out of high school.

Quote:
Music does most certainly influence the content of someones character

What music you listen to has no bearing on whether or not you are a moral and ethical person. It is those things that determine character, not what music you listen to.

Quote:
but if you are a fully grown man and you listen to Kpop and enjoy it, then yes it kind of does make you a bit of a "little girl " or just someone with really bad taste in music .....

The misogyny and homophobia in phrases like that is really sad. High school is over.

And what if someone listens to a bunch of "good" music but every now and then puts on the KPop? What if its a guilty pleasure? Occasionally watching popcorn movies or eating a Big Mac doesn't make someone a juvenile in terms of their films or what they eat. That's just silly.

Quote:
I mean, good luck, it's a long way down for a man in his 40s idolizing 14 year old girls who lip sync music that was made by a machine.

Just because someone listens to Kpop and enjoys some songs, doesn't make them an obsessed fan with a bunch of calenders and stuff.

Quote:
Not everybody... but taste is indicative of character and most people, quite simply, have as much taste as the bottom of my feet.

Between the homophobia and misogyny in your comments, as well as using music as a way to judge people's moral character and deciding that "good" people are those who listen to certain kinds of music, it's pretty clear that you are wanting in character.

Silly me, I view things like honesty, morality, ethics, trustworthiness, compassion, humility, kindness, tenderness, patience, and the like as indicative of character. But I guess I'm wrong- it's about whether you have the same taste in music as jfromtheway.

People with character don't judge people's morality and ethics based on what music they listen to. Juveniles do that, not adults.

No music doesnt influence your ethics and morals, but it does go a long way in giving an indication about personality.

Of all the foreigners i know in my area there are 5 I know who love K pop, they go to the concerts, buy the T shirts etc... At first I just thought whatever, each to their own, but after a few months of knowing them I have come to the conclusion that they are all tools and its not something I decided because of their musical taste, they just are idiots in every sense whilst the people I met who listen to good music are much more enjoyable to be around. Coincidence ?

If "high school is over" as you put it then maybe you shouldnt be listening to music designed for people in high school.

Last edited by adzee1 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fat_Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
Moondoggy wrote:
jfromtheway wrote:
Dave Chance wrote:
Moondoggy wrote:
simply put... these posters including the op are in denial.
just don't want to believe what they've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GRP1rkE4O0

Just confirms there are a lot of dweeby geeks out there Smile

Sure wish I could speak/sing Korean with a faux gangsta accent, and pose in a faux New York street like I lived in the hood Laughing

Yeah, who the hell likes that, other than the babysitting CD money crowd who creates these fake ass markets in the first place. That song was just horrible within any comparable measure. We're talking about mid-teenager music here, folks. If you're beyond seventeen and you listen to this stuff, you're Korean or you got some issues.

i believe you're not korean but you got some serious issues.
not healthy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ILE4IUvcHM

I went to a Metalica concert here in Seoul a few years back and the crowd at Jamsil Arena was similar.

Is Metalica popular in South Korea?

No but it has a niche market with the locals and popular with many of the foreigners living in the country.

It's the same with k-pop in France.

I think the mistake a lot of Koreans make is that they assume that overseas music markets are as homogeneous as their own. Sure, there are niche markets but overall it's pretty homogeneous - I find you get a much larger portion of the population listening to the same pop groups, whereas in Western countries people older than 13-14 listen to a wider variety of music genres. I think when Koreans see a large concert hall filled in Paris - which, trust me, isn't that hard to do if you give away enough free tickets - they just assume that everyone in that country is into the same music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: