Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"We don't need you to do that." -Trayvon Martin Ca
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salve, agricolae morantur in silvis.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
Was Trayvon Martin violent? Well we have him claiming (in his own words) to have participated in a fight club

Dude, it was underground, unsanctioned MMA, not some pit fight. If you don't know the difference between the two, and how you are completely exaggerating things, please stop talking.

Quote:
GZ was older and heavier and had training (for a while) in martial arts. How was Trayvon able to overcome him?

If you have to ask, you don't know.

It's a fight. Anything can go down. Zimmerman may have had "training", in what I have no idea, but there is training and reality.

"Everyone has a plan until they get hit"- Mike Tyson.

Quote:
"Oh the dictionary definition is wrong". The dictionary definition is what most reasonable and rational people believe.

So if you were in a holding cell or on a street corner talking about this issue, you're answer would be to pull out Webster's Dictionary and lecture the people in there on what the term "thug" means according to the book?

You're using the dictionary to determine what the term "thug" means on the streets?

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's not my definition of a thug. Heck, I don't think I've ever heard that definition from anyone other than you. I'm with TUM (and others) on this one.

Really? In America? We're talking about the States here, you know, the birthplace of hip-hop and rap. I think in this case, we should look at the American definition of thug, not the Swiss or Taiwanese.

==============================================
To repeat-
Seriously? The dictionary? You're going to bust out the dictionary on an argument about life on the streets? And you want to be taken seriously?

For some reason I doubt your street cred
I just don't envision you as someone who's been out thumping on people in the streets. But maybe someday I'l meet ya, and you can school me.

As for the American definition of a thug, would not the UK def also be worth considering? How about the Canadian one? Or, are we only allowed to "talk American" when discussing an American issue? - that doesn't make much sense.

As I said before, I had my share of violence as a youth. I'd have no problem with the label "thug" being attached to such behaviour.
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulpes est vir optimus. Vulpi parete. Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quod natura non dat Latin non praestat.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Stop it TUM, this thread is now about dead language education and beating children for their betterment.

Oh well in that case I agree with both. Laughing

Latin AND Greek should both be taught.

Qui parcit virgae suae odit filium suum qui autem diligit illum erudit

My Latin is a bit rusty so not quite sure that's right...oh well.

"Latin is a dead language
Dead as dead can be
It killed off all the Romans
And now it's killing me"
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
Was Trayvon Martin violent? Well we have him claiming (in his own words) to have participated in a fight club

Dude, it was underground, unsanctioned MMA, not some pit fight. If you don't know the difference between the two, and how you are completely exaggerating things, please stop talking.

Quote:
GZ was older and heavier and had training (for a while) in martial arts. How was Trayvon able to overcome him?

It's a fight. Anything can go down. Zimmerman may have had "training", in what I have no idea, but there is training and reality.

Quote:
"Oh the dictionary definition is wrong". The dictionary definition is what most reasonable and rational people believe.

So if you were in a holding cell or on a street corner talking about this issue, you're answer would be to pull out Webster's Dictionary and lecture the people in there on what the term "thug" means according to the book?

You're using the dictionary to determine what the term "thug" means on the streets?

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's not my definition of a thug. Heck, I don't think I've ever heard that definition from anyone other than you. I'm with TUM (and others) on this one.

Really? In America? We're talking about the States here, you know, the birthplace of hip-hop and rap. I think in this case, we should look at the American definition of thug, not the Swiss or Taiwanese.

To repeat-
Seriously? The dictionary? You're going to bust out the dictionary on an argument about life on the streets? And you want to be taken seriously?

I just don't envision you as someone who's been out thumping on people in the streets. But maybe someday I'l meet ya, and you can school me.

As for the American definition of a thug, would not the UK def also be worth considering? How about the Canadian one? Or, are we only allowed to "talk American" when discussing an American issue? - that doesn't make much sense.

As I said before, I had my share of violence as a youth. I'd have no problem with the label "thug" being attached to such behaviour.

It's an American crime in America. When you start calling Trayvon a "thug", given that he is American, that raises specific connotations.

Really, CC, since you've been in the scene, if you were in the holding cell or county, and talking about this whole thing, would you say Trayvon was a "thug". No one in the scene or whatever would call the kid a thug. Someone who did would just be laughed at. If Trayvon was in a holding cell and tried to step and call himself a thug, everyone would just tell him to shut up and chill.

Seriously. It's at the level of the people saying grape flavored Swisher Sweets are a gateway to tobacco use.

As for my time in the scene, I've done what I've done. I've lived what I've lived. Trayvon is not a "thug" and no one in the scene would call him that.

I think if Trayvon pulled his thug routing on you and at the bars you've been a bouncer at, CC, he would end up stuffed in a dumpster. Real thugs wouldn't go down like that.

Quote:
Everyone else is wrong and you are right? Come off it. I know that's your schtick but it's getting a bit old...and this is coming from someone who agrees with you on most topics.

No they haven't. Go look at the history again.

Anyways, we're arguing at this from completely different points- You're arguing from a dictionary theoretical point of view. I'm arguing it from a point of view based on experience. I'm coming from a point of view, where if you were in holding, at a party, at a bar, just relaxing and chilling, that if you called Trayvon a "thug" everyone would laugh their ass off at you.

"I'm a thug. I've gotten suspended from school. I got in a couple fights. I grow a couple pot plants. I'm a thug!"

Laughing

Dude...
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to DP, but this really should drive the point home-

"When I'm not being a thug by getting suspended from high school and growing a couple pot plants in my closet, I like to chill with a bunch of fine ladies and live it up as a real thug. VIP in the club. Making it rain."- Trayvon 'IPayInCash' Martin- A real thug. Genuine Article. Hard as rocks. Own the 'hood with my sharpened screw driver.

Own it. You said Trayvon is a thug.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To repeat-

It's an American crime in America. When you start calling Trayvon a "thug", given that he is American, that raises specific connotations.

Really, CC, since you've been in the scene, if you were in the holding cell or county, and talking about this whole thing, would you say Trayvon was a "thug". No one in the scene or whatever would call the kid a thug. Someone who did would just be laughed at. If Trayvon was in a holding cell and tried to step and call himself a thug, everyone would just tell him to shut up and chill.

Seriously. It's at the level of the people saying grape flavored Swisher Sweets are a gateway to tobacco use.

As for my time in the scene, I've done what I've done. I've lived what I've lived. Trayvon is not a "thug" and no one in the scene would call him that.

I think if Trayvon pulled his thug routing on you and at the bars you've been a bouncer at, CC, he would end up stuffed in a dumpster. Real thugs wouldn't go down like that.

Truth is, I think a few pages back, I described him as a "wannabe-thug". Was he seriously hard? No idea. I doubt it. But from those things that have been said about him, if true, they'd tell me he enjoyed seeking out violence.

Again though, I think we have a different threshold for the word "thug". What you're describing would be, in my terms, a "G", "Banger", or "OG"... but the more I type them, the more I feel like I'm in some rap video. lol

One thing I do know though - I didn't get caught for most of the things I did. The things people knew about got me in enough trouble. But the whole thing never came out - luckily. Now maybe TM ONLY did what we're hearing about - possible. But I also think it's possible there's more there.

Either way, this young man is gone. And GZ is "free"... I'm really surprised this thread is still going strong.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Either way, this young man is gone. And GZ is "free"... I'm really surprised this thread is still going strong.

It's cathartic.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E Pluribus Unum ... http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/opinion/krugman-e-pluribus-unum.html?_r=0

I think "Stand your ground" is also linked to "Block the vote" (by any means necessary ...)
detonate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wasn't out looking for trouble, he just wanted to get high and eat some skittles. Who doesn't want to do that? Then some white guy jumped him. Sad story. Sad
Rteacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An obviously "disturbed" guy ... http://news.yahoo.com/george-zimmerman-arrested-florida-following-disturbance-call-191020842--abc-news-topstories.html

Update with a little more info:
http://news.yahoo.com/zimmerman-tells-side-story-911-call-010139550.html[/

On a radio news report today, I heard that the woman had recorded what happened on her iPad, but Zimmerman smashed the tablet, and the recording hasn't been recovered...

Last edited by Rteacher on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rteacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a report on the alleged ipad smashing/evidence destroying behavior of this stalwart defender of freedom and justice:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/10/george-zimmerman-ipad_n_3900900.html
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
Here's a report on the alleged ipad smashing/evidence destroying behavior of this stalwart defender of freedom and justice:

I'm pretty sure the iPad just had bad karma.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Rteacher wrote:

I'm pretty sure the iPad just had bad karma.

If you look deep enough, there's always a connection to Krishna ...
http://news.iskcon.org/steve-jobs-and-the-krishna-connection,2907/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 86 of 89

Jump to: