Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"We don't need you to do that." -Trayvon Martin Ca
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 87, 88, 89  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
And it very well may be that he was acting as a vigilante. I agree.

But it was perfectly within Zimmerman's rights to:

1. Carry a weapon (he had a legal permit).
2. Follow the guy and ask questions.

It is also well within my rights to walk up to a gang of thugs on a streetcorner in Chicago and ask them what they are doing standing around. Would that be smart? Obviously not. Illegal? No. What Zimmerman did was not smart, and I am confident he will pay if it is proven he started the physical altercation, or used excessive force.

Yeah I agree. Again I know that he has the legal right to carry the weapon and to an extent follow the guy and ask questions. Maybe right isn't the right word, but rather yeah I think what he did was dumb, and that these kinds of actions cause more trouble than they prevent.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You caught me in another Android edit... I added a line there.

In any case, I should add my side of things. I am a legal CCW permit holder, and can carry a gun around in my state. From my perspective, ignoring what was legal or not, Zimmerman was, at best, an idiot. Although not illegal, it was extremely stupid to follow -- I might have followed if I were in his shoes, but stayed far away. The kid could have been breaking into houses, had a gun, too, and started shooting first from across the street... so why even chance an escalation?

I was taught in my 3 day CCW class with the local police that you want to stand back and let the police handle things. Obviously. Zimmerman didn't do that. Carrying a gun is for self-protection. Zimmerman may well be found as someone who used it for offensive purposes. If so, then good. Jail him.

I was also taught that, justified or not, if I pull the trigger, my life will be changed forever. Why anyone would want to invite that kind of trouble is beyond me. A gun is for defense after all other options (running AWAY) have been exhausted. I will add, however, that there are cases where people have no chance to retreat or need to defend themselves from injury to self or loss of property. That is what Stand Your Ground laws should cover. Not Zimmerman, unless new news comes to light that changes things. In the opinion of gun advocates, SYG does not apply here. It is akin to someone robbing a bank and pleading insanity.

A lot of people on the pro-gun side think he deserves what he gets and probably more. But many are reserving judgement, as it should be. We just don't have all of the facts because the police are being very coy about releasing them.

I should add that, even though I am very pro-gun, I am also one who calls for required courses, including study of the law as part of that course. I am not a fan of states where anyone can just get a handgun and carry it. I believe it should be allowed only after proper coursework and range time. We do so with cars.

At any rate, my hopes are that neighborhood watch people would wear reflective arm bands or something similar.
bigverne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article sums up the horribly biased media coverage of this incident

Zimmerman was on the ground being punched when he shot Trayvon Martin

Continue reading on Examiner.com Zimmerman was on the ground being punched when he shot Trayvon Martin - Charleston Charleston Conservative | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/charleston-conservative-in-charleston-sc/zimmerman-was-on-the-ground-being-punched-when-he-shot-trayvon-martin#ixzz1prqbMCqw

Last weekend in the city of Chicago alone, gangbangers slaughtered ten people and wounded another forty. The youngest fatality is only six years old. The youngest person wounded is only one-year-old. Many of the victim were pedestrians sprayed with bullets in drive by shootings. The national news has said nothing about this.

So why does one shooting in Florida warrant weeks of national news? Why has there been thousands of articles a day, for the last four days, about one single shooting?

Almost all of the news items about George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin contains a combination of false statements, opinions presented as facts, transparent distortions, and a complete absence of some of the most relevant details. Almost all news items are written soley from the point of view of the grieving family. The media also fills their articles with outdated baby-faced pictures of Trayvon. Very few include that he was a towering 6'2� football player. Is the media really reporting the news, or is this classic agitation/propaganda to advance a political agenda.

http://www.examiner.com/charleston-conservative-in-charleston-sc/zimmerman-was-on-the-ground-being-punched-when-he-shot-trayvon-martin

As already alluded to, mainstream media coverage of this incident has been a disgrace. They are not interested in reporting facts, but in weaving a 'narrative,' and will conveniently leave out facts which do not fit this narrative, or tell outright lies.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
This article sums up the horribly biased media coverage of this incident

Zimmerman was on the ground being punched when he shot Trayvon Martin

Continue reading on Examiner.com Zimmerman was on the ground being punched when he shot Trayvon Martin - Charleston Charleston Conservative | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/charleston-conservative-in-charleston-sc/zimmerman-was-on-the-ground-being-punched-when-he-shot-trayvon-martin#ixzz1prqbMCqw

Last weekend in the city of Chicago alone, gangbangers slaughtered ten people and wounded another forty. The youngest fatality is only six years old. The youngest person wounded is only one-year-old. Many of the victim were pedestrians sprayed with bullets in drive by shootings. The national news has said nothing about this.

So why does one shooting in Florida warrant weeks of national news? Why has there been thousands of articles a day, for the last four days, about one single shooting?

Almost all of the news items about George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin contains a combination of false statements, opinions presented as facts, transparent distortions, and a complete absence of some of the most relevant details. Almost all news items are written soley from the point of view of the grieving family. The media also fills their articles with outdated baby-faced pictures of Trayvon. Very few include that he was a towering 6'2� football player. Is the media really reporting the news, or is this classic agitation/propaganda to advance a political agenda.

http://www.examiner.com/charleston-conservative-in-charleston-sc/zimmerman-was-on-the-ground-being-punched-when-he-shot-trayvon-martin

As already alluded to, mainstream media coverage of this incident has been a disgrace. They are not interested in reporting facts, but in weaving a 'narrative,' and will conveniently leave out facts which do not fit this narrative, or tell outright lies.

Your source is garbage. You have a legitimate source to back any of this up?

http://michellerafter.com/2009/05/30/writer-games-examiner-com-to-make-a-point-about-content-aggregators/

Examiner.com has been criticized for its lack of verification and fact-checking of stories published on the site,[21] including accusations of plagiarism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examiner.com#cite_note-rafter-20

Taking a quick look at the guys other articles it seems like he has a pretty strong idea about racial issues as well. Some examples of his headlines.

Eric Holder "regrets" false letter to Congress, blames white people.

NAACP linked to effort to bulldoze Confederate Monument and Bessingers BBQ

Eric Holder tells NAACP that whites want to take away their voting rights.

Radical left behind lawsuit against South Carolina immigration law
(radical left here means the southern poverty law center, a renowned civil rights group)

Find a new source.
bigverne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Find a new source.

You didn't challenge anything written in that article, but instead attempted to cast aspersions on the author's motives (hint: he's a racist!), while mentioning previous criticisms of the site, as if the mainstream media is never guilty of not fact-checking or telling outright lies. Are they still describing Zimmerman as white?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was on top when the shooting occured seems pretty irrelevant to me. The fact that Zimmerman went against orders and pursued this suspect... Thus allowing this confrontation, weighs more on my opinion.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure am curious why the kid got a 10 day suspension. The school won't talk. If it were for something minor, they would have no problem saying it. You just do not get a 10 day out-of-school suspension for something minor. I am not buying this perfect child scenario anymore. Doesnt change the facts of the case, but it should be out there for.some balance. Instead we get middle school photos.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Sure am curious why the kid got a 10 day suspension. The school won't talk. If it were for something minor, they would have no problem saying it. You just do not get a 10 day out-of-school suspension for something minor. I am not buying this perfect child scenario anymore. Doesnt change the facts of the case, but it should be out there for.some balance. Instead we get middle school photos.

"He was suspended because he was late too many times."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-03-17/news/os-trayvon-martin-shooting-tension-20120317_1_shooting-death-english-teacher-uncle

I don't believe it was 10 days either.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The race thing is a distraction. The digging up of old deeds seems mostly irrelevant.

To me, what's important is what happened that night. A young person is dead - why? And who is responsible?
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed... But the one-sidedness of the digging is bothersome.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why you feel that way, but come on...it's pretty understandable. On the one hand you've got a kid that's dead... The other is the guy who killed him but is out "free".

I can very much understand the attention being put more in one direction.

From the onset though I've felt uncomfortable about the reporting. The first time I saw this was on NBC Nightly, and their emphasis on race sat oddly with me.

IMO, unless race is clearly a factor, I don't really see a need for it to be bright into the discussion. Sometimes, it's just a matter of one person vs another.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I can see why you feel that way, but come on...it's pretty understandable. On the one hand you've got a kid that's dead... The other is the guy who killed him but is out "free".

I can very much understand the attention being put more in one direction.

From the onset though I've felt uncomfortable about the reporting. The first time I saw this was on NBC Nightly, and their emphasis on race sat oddly with me.

IMO, unless race is clearly a factor, I don't really see a need for it to be bright into the discussion. Sometimes, it's just a matter of one person vs another.

The guy had a history of calling the police to report black people in his neighborhood. Sometimes it is about race, although I do think that it is being overplayed.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
Quote:
Find a new source.

You didn't challenge anything written in that article, but instead attempted to cast aspersions on the author's motives (hint: he's a racist!), while mentioning previous criticisms of the site, as if the mainstream media is never guilty of not fact-checking or telling outright lies. Are they still describing Zimmerman as white?

If you show me a reputable source that says those things than yeah that's interesting. People can write whatever they want with no checks online. Mainstream media can be sued for liable, and they have certain degrees of accuracy they have to maintain.

It is a bit funny though, the right wingers never make the mixed race distinction when the media calls Obama black.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:

It is a bit funny though, the right wingers never make the mixed race distinction when the media calls Obama black.

I found it interesting that at least one panelist on TV said, once it was learned that Zimmerman wasn't white, that he should be considered white because he represents white America, gated communities, etc.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Who was on top when the shooting occured seems pretty irrelevant to me. The fact that Zimmerman went against orders and pursued this suspect... Thus allowing this confrontation, weighs more on my opinion.

Orders?

Saying "We don't need you to do that" is hardly an order.

Since he is part of the Neighborhood Watch he has every right to ask a stranger what he is doing here. That is perfectly legal and understandable.

It would seem the teenager attacked first.

Quote:
After speaking with Zimmerman, who had called 911, Smith observed that Zimmerman's "back appeared to be wet and was covered in grass, as if he had been laying on his back on the ground. Zimmerman was also bleeding from the nose and back of his head."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 2 of 89

Jump to: