Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what form of verb endings should i use in beginner TopikTest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: what form of verb endings should i use in beginner TopikTest Reply with quote

According to some random website i found, the following advice was given about what registrar of language to use in the Topik test...

"Always use the plain or formal/polite form of sentence ending- In the essay writing section you should always write in Plain diary form (다/ㄴ다/는다). Beginners can use the formal polite ending (ㅂ니다/습니다). Never use the casual spoken form (아요/어요) or lower form (아/어) of language."

Can anyone confirm this. I'm used to using the casual spoken form (아요/어요) and would prefer to use that for the Beginner topik test. Would i be better off heeding the advice above about changing to the ㅂ니다/습니다 form.
I'll have to brush up on that form if that's the case!
Panda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use either 다 or 습니다. No 아/어요 should be used.
But make sure you use the same ending in one article. Never mix them.

나는 미국사람 입니다, 지금은 서울 한 영어 학관에서 일하고 있습니다. (good)

나는 미국사람 이다, 지금은 서울 한 영어 학관에서 일하고 있다. (good)

나는 미국사람 입니다, 지금은 서울 한 영어 학관에서 일하고 있다 (Bad)
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice you found is correct, and you'd be wise to heed it.
Hugo85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

습니다 is longer, so it can boost your syllable count without you adding more words (more words = more chance of mistake).

The subjects are often recycled from past exams, if you are at all worried then look up the different topics and think of things to say about them and look up the words you'd be missing to say them.
rchristo10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panda wrote:
You can use either 다 or 습니다. No 아/어요 should be used.
But make sure you use the same ending in one article. Never mix them.

나는 미국사람 입니다, 지금은 서울 한 영어 학관에서 일하고 있습니다. (good)

나는 미국사람 이다, 지금은 서울 한 영어 학관에서 일하고 있다. (good)

나는 미국사람 입니다, 지금은 서울 한 영어 학관에서 일하고 있다 (Bad)

Gosh...being that you're writing two sentences, all of these separated by commas are wrong.

나는 미국사람이고 지금은 서울(에 있는) 한 영어 학원에서 일하고 있다. (Is correct).

But today's conventions are to use a comma after 이고...as in:

나는 미국사람이고, 지금은 서울 한 영어 학원에서 일하고 있다. (Would likely also be acceptable). But the most correct (for your level would just be to separate them into sentences:

나는 미국사람이다. 지금은 서울 한 영어 학원에서 일하고 있다.

From what I know, the stative verb 이다 doesn't get a space before it or after the noun it's complementing. So it wouldn't be: 미국사람 이다 as proposed above.

Gosh, I just reread them and they're all still awkward to me.

나는 미국사람이고 지금은 서을*에 한 영어 학원에서 일하고 있다. Is still awkward. To be honest I'd just be simple.

나는 미국사람이고 지금은 서을*에 있는 영어 학원에서 일하고 있다.

Crap...Korean is a bit tricky, eh? Personally, I like:

나는 미국사람이다. 지금은 서을에 한 영어 학원에서 일하고 있다.

Crap. That's still awkward. The reason is because it's unclear of why you're stressing the *지금. It sounds as though it's in contrast to a different time. As in,

나는 미국사람이다. 미국에 살 때는 학생이였지만, 지금은 한국에 한 영어 학원에서 일하고 있다.

The use of "은" after 지금 seems to stress "now" way too much. But it's just my feeling...and we all know that feeling is not what language is all about.

But to answer the OP's question just stick to what you know. They grade on correctness not on expository prowess. If you write less than others, then don't worry. Just make sure you write right; don't right write--if you get what I mean. Focus on correct grammar and expression and don't focus on frivolities (as I have tried to demonstrate above).

The Korean graders are smart people. They're not impressed by a person attempting to show off and they're checking for your correctness and grammatical understanding of the language. Whether you use '요' or '습니다' is the least of your problems. Worry about correctly spelling simple things like 학원 and the like.
Panda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But to answer the OP's question just stick to what you know. They grade on correctness not on expository prowess. If you write less than others, then don't worry. Just make sure you write right; don't right write--if you get what I mean. Focus on correct grammar and expression and don't focus on frivolities (as I have tried to demonstrate above).

The Korean graders are smart people. They're not impressed by a person attempting to show off and they're checking for your correctness and grammatical understanding of the language. Whether you use '요' or '습니다' is the least of your problems. Worry about correctly spelling simple things like 학원 and the like.

Thanks for the advice (obviously) to me, also thanks for pointing out the mistakes for me.

In my opinion Koreans rarely use comma, and the simplest way is to stick to only period I guess.

I am also taking this coming TOPIK test, no doubt writing is my weak point.
rchristo10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panda wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice (obviously) to me, also thanks for pointing out the mistakes for me.

In my opinion Koreans rarely use comma, and the simplest way is to stick to only period I guess.

I am also taking this coming TOPIK test, no doubt writing is my weak point.

Hi Panda. No maliciousness intended.

Yes, you're correct; commas are seldom employed in "correct" Korean grammar, but it does seem to be a more recent convention. I'd suggest forgoing them and again sticking to what you've learned.
Hugo85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rchristo10 wrote:

I think 요 is considered a mistake in TOPIK and every instance of 요 is like writing 학권. Better to give yourself room for genuine mistakes rather than planning on having a mistake per sentence.

I'm taking 중급 next week. 죽겠다...
rchristo10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo85 wrote:
rchristo10 wrote:

I think 요 is considered a mistake in TOPIK and every instance of 요 is like writing 학권. Better to give yourself room for genuine mistakes rather than planning on having a mistake per sentence.

I'm taking 중급 next week. 죽겠다...

Good luck!

Btw, I took 고급 got a 6. Just my opinion is that you shouldn't use the 요 form, but doing so is only marked off as one point regardless of how many times you use it (granted you use them properly). However, it's better to use the 요-form than to foul up with the 다-form over and over. That's several points off.

From what I know, they prefer the 다-form, but sometimes for students who haven't learned it properly and can't tell the difference between using such a form with verbs versus adjectives at the end of sentence, it can really ruin the context, meaning, and subsequently your score.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: