Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa run accomodation reimbursement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falco

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Visa run accomodation reimbursement Reply with quote

Are school owners obliged to pay for the cost of you staying in the country where u went for your visa run? My employer is paying for my flight of course but accomodation costs were never discussed before I went away. Anybody know if they are legally obliged to do so or is it something that is worked out purely between employee and employer? Sorry if this has been brought up before but I couldnt seem to find anything about it anywhere else.
Hotpants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some hagwon bosses do cover some of the visa run expenses, but no legal obligation whatsoever.
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is between you and the employer. Some will argue what one has to do for the other, but in the end both sides are trying to get more of what they want.

If they are giving you the flight, I would take the hotel expenses for a night or two and return. It's a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

Maybe you can ask to work some overtime if you really feel you need the money.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no rule about it. If someone is already in the country, then they should ask for it in the contract. If it's not in the contract, there's not much to be done except ask the boss and hope for the best.

It seems like the trip has already been set up but if it hasn't (or if you know someone else in a similar situation) you can ask you boss how much he's going to pay for the flight and then ask if he can just reimburse you later for that amount. You can often get a deal on a 3 day travel package to Japan. It's basically just the flight and 2 nights in a business hotel (a room that would make the interior of a VW van look spacious) but it's cheaper to get it as a package than to get both separately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: