Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking christmas holidays on GEPIK program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclejoe80

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Taking christmas holidays on GEPIK program Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me about taking christmas holidays on the GEPIK program? I am applying for a position and it's important I can take time off to go home for christmas. I read in some places it's a problem getting time off for this period. Is this the case?

Apparently I will have 20 days holiday + all the national holidays. Although I heard that this is not strictly the way it is and actually the national holidays are sometimes counted as part of the 20 days. Confused

Can somebody clear this up for me as I'm a little confused as I've found conflicting information on the web.

Thanks in advance. Smile
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt bank on an xmas vacation. Your school or district may well have other plans for your time. You'll get all your due vacation days but most likely not at your choosing.
passport220

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone can really give you a clear answer as the site manager (school principal or local program director) has a lot of say in how it will work out for you. My advice is to make clear the dates you need off early and often.

Also, write up some type of proposal (short and sweet) on how you will use the time off to improve your job skills and submit it to your principal. ie: during my Christmas vacation, I will first observe, then compare and contrast traditional Western holidays with traditional Korean holidays and prepare a lesson plan to teach students holiday words and phrases. Some kind of BS along those lines. Just something to hang your hat on that you will do some kind of professional development during your time off.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

School may or may not be out by Dec. 25. (I have worked in schools that have had classes as late as Dec 2Cool.

They may have "camps" scheduled for the 1st part of Jan. or may delay them to the later part of Jan.

Do NOT count on getting your vacation time at XMAS. 1st year in and the odds are not in your favor and you probably won't have enough good-will stacked up to get past it.

You will get your 20 work days (10 in the summer break and 10 in the winter break) but the dates may or may not be of your choosing.

Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
School may or may not be out by Dec. 25. (I have worked in schools that have had classes as late as Dec 2Cool.

They may have "camps" scheduled for the 1st part of Jan. or may delay them to the later part of Jan.

Do NOT count on getting your vacation time at XMAS. 1st year in and the odds are not in your favor and you probably won't have enough good-will stacked up to get past it.

You will get your 20 work days (10 in the summer break and 10 in the winter break) but the dates may or may not be of your choosing.

Also those won't include national holidays. At least for EPIK, anyways.
unclejoe80

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I'll just request the time off early and hope for the best then. Good to know the 20 days and the national holidays are off though. Thanks for replies. Smile
wylies99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to sound callous but you'll miss many holidays and family events when you choose to work overseas. It comes with the terrority.
unclejoe80

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, it's not being callous. I think it's just stating the obvious.
jurassic82

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working for SMOE for four years now and every year I have gotten one week around Christmas. I can not speak for GEPIK but most people I know that work at public schools started their camp after the New Year. Again I can't speak for everyone but this has been my experience while working in Seoul. I think there is a good chance you could still go back for the holidays if you are willing to go back for that short period of time.
wings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the biggest problems with going home for Christmas is that even if you do have vacation around Christmas it might not start until the 24th and you might need to be back for the first week of January. Your ticket will be really expensive and you will end up spending 5 days at home. If you stay in Korea for your first year and then resign you can work a longer Christmas vacation into your contract for the next year.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking christmas holidays on GEPIK program Reply with quote

unclejoe80 wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me about taking christmas holidays on the GEPIK program? I am applying for a position and it's important I can take time off to go home for christmas. I read in some places it's a problem getting time off for this period. Is this the case?

Apparently I will have 20 days holiday + all the national holidays. Although I heard that this is not strictly the way it is and actually the national holidays are sometimes counted as part of the 20 days. Confused

Can somebody clear this up for me as I'm a little confused as I've found conflicting information on the web.

Thanks in advance. Smile

Depends upon the school. Some will let you travel and others will insist that you sit in your classroom (or teachers office) and do nothing.
Snowkr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above poster has it exactly right.

I worked for GEPIK about 6 years ago and got only Christmas Day off. I'd planned to fly home for the holidays and thought I could just take the vacation, since I had time in my contract. But since it was a regular work week, I was told I could not. Many of my friends however, also employed under GEPIK, were allowed to leave for that week.

It definitely depends on the school. And if going home for Christmas is that important to you, I'd suggest getting something in writing before signing any contract with a public school. This is easier said than done though...
unclejoe80

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it's not hugely important I get home for Christmas, so I wouldn't go to the hassle of getting it on my contract. It's not going to determine if I go to Korea or not. Just due to reasons at home it would be nice to home for Christmas. If I can get 5-7 days well then great. If not I will just take a week some time in january or something.
Thanks again for the replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: