Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Galaxy II receives ICS 4.0 in Korea! Anyone get it to work?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhicks99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Galaxy II receives ICS 4.0 in Korea! Anyone get it to work? Reply with quote

Samsung finally updated this thing to ICS 4.0 (I say finally, but they're the first major handset maker to get it out to the masses via an update, so kudos for that!).

Has anyone got theirs to update yet? I checked for an OTA update via the phone hoping I could just get it over wifi but no luck. I hate using Kies but it did notify me of the update and I began the process (strangely it didn't offer to back anything up this time, would have been nice to backup my contacts, I couldn't figure out how with the new software). After downloading the new firmware and watching it transfer over to my phone (my phone had a green notice in Korean on it stating new firmware was being dow-oon-load-ed) it suddenly stopped, my phone disconnected from USB and it automatically rebooted itself... nothing updated and Kies gave me an error. I tried 2 more tries and it failed in different spots AFTER the firmware downloaded, leading me to believe the error isn't do to Sammie's servers being overloaded. I then tried 3 more times on my ultraportable which is doubling as a home theatre pc. Similar failures again. Both machines are running Win 7 64-bit. Now I'm trying again but I have a feeling it's going to fail.

Has anyone managed to get this thing up and running? If this doesn't work I suppose I'll head down to the service centre Sat morning and have them do it... ugh. I've also heard the update will break Launcher Pro which is a shame but I can't report if that's the case for our Korean phones just yet. Looks like GoLauncher is in my future.
jhicks99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok got it running finally...

Flash seems to be knocked out, Launcher Pro constantly crashes (as expected) and the general performance is a bit slower and more sluggish in terms of navigating around the menus and scrolling up and down etc. So far I wish I didn't do this Sad
pkang0202

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Android FTW!
Beeyee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Galaxy 2 gets this update, but my top-of-the-range Galaxy 2 HD LTE doesn't get it yet?

Awesome.
jhicks99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after a full battery cycle and a few reboots the performance is now much, MUCH better. It's almost as snappy as it used to be (still puts an Iphone4s to shame considering I have live widgets on every screen and it's actually multitasking). As long as flash is working before football season starts I'll be fine Very Happy

The LTE HD update is coming soon. The Galaxy II did come out first and is the most popular single handset in Korea and samsung's flagship abroad, it only makes sense for it to get the update first.
Bloopity Bloop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhicks99 wrote:

The LTE HD update is coming soon. The Galaxy II did come out first and is the most popular single handset in Korea and samsung's flagship abroad, it only makes sense for it to get the update first.

Interesting... since almost everyone I see is on an iPhone.

I'm not being sarcastic at all (I'm a Sammy guy--well, maybe Apple hater would describe me better) I'm honestly surprised the Galaxy II is that popular. I don't see many around.

Using a Note right now and look forward to gettin down with some Ice Cream Sandwich
jhicks99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well I got my info from someone in SK's corporate (the same person who sold me my galaxy s1 and then 2 at an employee price, unlocked cash;). Last we talked the S2 was the single most popular handset in Korea across all carriers. The fact that LG's U+ network carries the phone and not iphone does help skew the numbers a little.

I'd say in and around Seoul I see more SIIs. Although, of my foreigner friends there's about 25 Iphones, a Motorolla Atrix and my S2 lol. The waygooks in Korea drink the apple kool-aid something fierce. It's also interesting to observe how many Koreans think the Galaxy II is a 100% Korean product, neglecting the fact that the underlying OS supporting the entire ecosystem of apps isn't Korean at all.
Morticae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhicks99 wrote:
Quote:

Well I got my info from someone in SK's corporate (the same person who sold me my galaxy s1 and then 2 at an employee price, unlocked cash;). Last we talked the S2 was the single most popular handset in Korea across all carriers. The fact that LG's U+ network carries the phone and not iphone does help skew the numbers a little.

I'd say in and around Seoul I see more SIIs. Although, of my foreigner friends there's about 25 Iphones, a Motorolla Atrix and my S2 lol. The waygooks in Korea drink the apple kool-aid something fierce. It's also interesting to observe how many Koreans think the Galaxy II is a 100% Korean product, neglecting the fact that the underlying OS supporting the entire ecosystem of apps isn't Korean at all.

I know more Koreans with iPhones than the Galaxy. Personally, I chose the Galaxy S2... I am trying to convert them, but they think the iPhone is more fashionable.
fezmond

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be a really stupid question - how do i get ICS 4.0?

i've got a KT Olleh galaxy S2 and i just tried the automatic update on the phone. after rebooting and installing whatever it was, the phone says my firmware is 2.3.6 and build number is GINGERBREAD.FB22

how does one go about getting ICS 4.0? the phone told me that this was the latest firmware version.

cheers
fezmond

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind - went through kies instead
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to use the kies software that you can download for free from samsung's website. just do a google search for "samsung kies".

note that (at least for me) kt's sII is not recognized on kies for mac although the website says it's a supported device if you happen to be using a mac.

my firmware upgrade was fine using kies for windows however.

you can't really tell much difference in terms of surface functionality from gingerbread to ics because touchwiz is still on there, but i also haven't had much time to dig deep into it yet.
jhicks99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now very happy with ICS.

Adjusted the pointer speed (slider under language in settings) to max and this resolved most of the menu lag. Also updated the flash player that now supports ICS.

btw... I used kies to update.
tplus1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated mine through kies too.

still have a one year contract to go.. T.T
six

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty angry about my Swype being outdated and my inability to simply download the latest Swype beta -- does ICS contain an updated Swype or am I in for disappointment?
Confused Canadian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeyee wrote:
So the Galaxy 2 gets this update, but my top-of-the-range Galaxy 2 HD LTE doesn't get it yet?

Awesome.

I just changed from a Galaxy I to Galaxy 2 LTE, got home, started up KIES and was also very disappointed to find there's no ICS yet.

Any word when it'll be available for the LTE?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: