Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Requirements for F2 (F6) visa-holder to teach in Hagwon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDC troll wrote:

If you go for even a vacation (to your home country) then you'll need a new crc/cbc.

Don't tell them.
soomin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my FBI CRC and turned it in when I first got here... I don't need to get it done again if I left for less than 3 months, right?
TDC troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the original ?
Try to get it back.
Do you have any copies?
ursus_rex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm the O.P.

Well, I just did the health check. MoE hasn't a clue what to do with F6 status. Had to do everything an E2 does, which is a bit ridiculous. Did blood and urine, which makes a bit of sense... but also did x-ray and dental, which doesn't. Waste of money as I did all this for national health insurance 3 months ago.

Hospital didn't have a clue as to my status... kept asking if I wanted to extend my e2 Smile.

They really should have thought the application of the law over a bit more extensively... applying for a visa should have a different process than for someone who already has a visa. I've already been accepted into the country and so beyond the screening required of a Korean in the same situation, I should not have to be bothered... i.e. I doubt a Korean would have had to do the x-ray and dental. I can see their use to screen for potential costs of E2 holders to the health care system, but that doesn't apply to me as they have already accepted those costs with the acceptance of my F6 status.

Anyhow, awaiting fingerprint forms from the RCMP and transcripts have been ordered. Now I've got to send my degree home to my dad to get a notarized copy done... thank God he is still young enough to do the footwork for my in Canada.

Stupid thing is... I could probably just go to part time and forget all this hassle... but pension and health benefits are important.
slothrop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ursus_rex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd work there as a contract employee (thus no pension/health) and say I'm a janitor or a clown or a secretary or a resource person or a private tutor renting the space (I am licensed for that) or a cultural consultant or whatever...

Unless private tutors or every other person who may work at an academy is now required to go through the hoops now...

Anyhow, there are ways to legitimately be there as an F-6 that do not require you to be an " English Teacher" per se.

Alternatively, I could always limit myself to part time in non-English kindergartens, for example. I don't believe they are covered. I part time in a couple now.

All this is moot, however, as I am going through the hoops since I like the place at which I currently work... however, if I have to redo this every year I may have second thoughts.

To answer your question, though, I can't specifically recall where I got the idea that the above might be possible.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been asked to do it for PT hogwon gigs. But they don't even register me with the MOE (or pension or health).

Here's a different question though: If you have documented yourself at the MOE for your full time job, wouldn't that cover you for any other jobs within the MOE jurisdiction?
john110375

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a little off topic but what is considered to be part time at a hagwon ?
ursus_rex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my mind, I suppose it is not really part time, but a private contract where benefits are not provided. Really only relevant in the case of F class visa holders. E2s cannot enter into such arrangements legally.

Such arrangements are usually ad hoc and informal.

If you are private tutor, you do pay taxes on them depending on how you arrange things.

I've had arrangements with "schools" which are technically not hakwons because they were of insufficient size. I forget what they are called, but they could only make arrangements with f series visa holders because of their classification. The could not hire E2s.

I'm not certain if they fall under these laws because the employees are essentially private tutors with their own licensing requirements.

I am a "private tutor" technically, and not a "private English tutor" and fall under the same laws as, for instance, a private math tutor.

I'm not certain whether this status falls under the new laws.

edit: to clarify, this is a former position... now I work at an English Academy as specified under the law although I still have a tutor's license and do private work as well.
Lolimahro

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got told this is a "new law" by our school (it was passed last year...go figure). We had one teacher who got here 2 or 3 weeks ago who will have to go through all this again. @.@

Anyway, anyone know when you have to have this stuff in by? By the renewal of one's contract? Is there a deadline, or is it already get passed? Anyone hear of someone getting fined for being late with the documents yet?

Thanks so much in advance.
soomin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, working part-time or as a contractor would mean that you were not required to get these documents again, correct? I'm also really curious as to how long you had to go back to your home country before you were required to do another CBC... I've heard three months and I've heard that any amount of time would require a new one... I really wish MOE would get their stories straight before passing new laws...
Dodge7

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the final word on if you go back to America for week? Do you need another CBC since it was under 3 months?
nick70100

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
So what's the final word on if you go back to America for week? Do you need another CBC since it was under 3 months?

If this rule really exists I would be very curious about how they plan to enforce it. How are they going to know who left the country and for how long? Are they going to start checking our passport stamps on a regular basis? Is immigration notifying the education authorities every time an F visa holder leaves the country just in case that person might be working for a hagwon? Also, how would they know where you went? What if I spent 3 months in China, would I still need to submit a new check from my home country even though I never went there?
soomin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick70100 wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:

If this rule really exists I would be very curious about how they plan to enforce it. How are they going to know who left the country and for how long? Are they going to start checking our passport stamps on a regular basis? Is immigration notifying the education authorities every time an F visa holder leaves the country just in case that person might be working for a hagwon? Also, how would they know where you went? What if I spent 3 months in China, would I still need to submit a new check from my home country even though I never went there?

Well, they can always check your passport for exit/entrance stamps... And I'm pretty sure it's just for your home country since if you committed a major crime in China (to use your example), there would be no way for them to get any history or documentation of it because you are not a citizen or registered with their government... I do hope the 3 months rule is true, though...
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soomin wrote:
Well, they can always check your passport for exit/entrance stamps... And I'm pretty sure it's just for your home country since if you committed a major crime in China (to use your example), there would be no way for them to get any history or documentation of it because you are not a citizen or registered with their government... I do hope the 3 months rule is true, though...

Not sure about where you are from but Canada and the US do not put entry/exit stamps in the passports of their nationals so there would be nothing in your passport to indicate where you went and since ARC holders do not have to fill in an entry card there is nothing other than your exit/re-entry back into Korea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: