Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sean Combs' son Justin awarded UCLA athletic scholarship
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Sean Combs' son Justin awarded UCLA athletic scholarship Reply with quote

Should rich kids be ineligible for college scholarships?

Quote:
Hip-hop mogul Diddy is worth $500 million, and his son just landed a full-ride, [athletic] scholarship to UCLA. Where's the justice?
Among the graduating high school class of 2012 is one Justin Combs, who finished his senior year with an impressive 3.75 GPA and an equally impressive record on the football field. UCLA rewarded Justin's accomplishments with a full, $54,000 [athletic] scholarship and a spot in the school's storied football program. The twist: Justin is the son of hip-hop mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs, recently named the wealthiest man in hip-hop by Forbes. With California's state schools facing deep cuts, UCLA's decision to offer Justin a chunk of its scarce resources is being widely criticized. Should the Combs clan give back the money? Or should the size of Justin's dad's bank account even matter?

I think this is actually pretty cut-and-dry. Who's money is it? Is it Justin's or his Dad's? The kid earned his merit scholarship, based on his [athletic] ability. Presumably, UCLA policy doesn't distinguish need in its merit-based scholarship. Presumably, UCLA has need-based awards. We also shouldn't take a father's financial support for granted, particularly when college begins at age 18.

Damn you, yahoo. It was an athletic scholarship.

Last edited by Kuros on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Leon

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there should be some scholarships available for things like academic merit, and some that are based on things like need. I also think that the mega-rich should have enough class to turn down scholarships, but I'm not sure how much class P. Diddy has. Many people who wouldn't qualify for need based scholarships still have trouble paying for college, so I think this is a rare case where it is kind of obscene, but in most cases it wouldn't be.
sml7285

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
I think that there should be some scholarships available for things like academic merit, and some that are based on things like need. I also think that the mega-rich should have enough class to turn down scholarships, but I'm not sure how much class P. Diddy has. Many people who wouldn't qualify for need based scholarships still have trouble paying for college, so I think this is a rare case where it is kind of obscene, but in most cases it wouldn't be.

I had the good fortune to attend a very prestigious private high school where a majority of the families are well-known throughout the world (Hanes, Du Pont, etc). The classes were rigorous and well taught and most of the students got exceptional SAT and AP scores. Many were offered top scholarships from many of the top schools.

All of the students who were offered scholarships took them. These are merit based, not need-based. There are incredible benefits that accompany these scholarships (research trips abroad, network opportunities, etc.) and the prestige that accompanies these scholarships helps students to get jobs after graduation. To state that a scholarship is only of monetary value is to speak out of ignorance. Turning down a prestigious scholarship is stupid, not classy.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sml7285 wrote:
Leon wrote:

I had the good fortune to attend a very prestigious private high school where a majority of the families are well-known throughout the world (Hanes, Du Pont, etc). The classes were rigorous and well taught and most of the students got exceptional SAT and AP scores. Many were offered top scholarships from many of the top schools.

All of the students who were offered scholarships took them. These are merit based, not need-based. There are incredible benefits that accompany these scholarships (research trips abroad, network opportunities, etc.) and the prestige that accompanies these scholarships helps students to get jobs after graduation. To state that a scholarship is only of monetary value is to speak out of ignorance. Turning down a prestigious scholarship is stupid, not classy.

Are football scholarships prestigious? I mean, that's the kind the kid got, so I doubt that it consists of things like research trips abroad, etc.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sml7285 wrote:
Leon wrote:

Leon is generous to others on this forum, so let's be generous to him. I don't see how your position really rebuts his. Justin (if the money were his) could very easily accept the scholarship but donate the money back, thus retaining the prestige.
northway

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't most colleges give out merit based scholarships based on, well, merit? Financial aid is an entirely different beast (or it should be).

I went to a public uni, but my high school was private and extremely expensive. I was on financial aid, based on the amount of money my folks made, while most of the inner city kids were on scholarships. The former was simply based on need, while the latter was based on achievement and there were academic requirements that went with it.
sml7285

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
sml7285 wrote:
Leon wrote:

Leon is generous to others on this forum, so let's be generous to him. I don't see how your position really rebuts his. Justin (if the money were his) could very easily accept the scholarship but donate the money back, thus retaining the prestige.

I didn't mean any disrespect, though I can see how my post can come off that way. I think that a kid earning a scholarship on his own merit, especially with the background he comes from, is very impressive. How often do you see children from wealthy backgrounds work to make a name for themselves?

What kind of message is that sending to Justin if after earning his scholarship, it is demanded that his father pay? He seems to be willing to earn his own way - why deprive him of that right?

Scholarship doesn't seem to be a football scholarship. It's not stated specifically, but it does seem as though academics played at least a part in his selection.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sml7285 wrote:
Kuros wrote:
sml7285 wrote:
Leon wrote:

I didn't mean any disrespect, though I can see how my post can come off that way. I think that a kid earning a scholarship on his own merit, especially with the background he comes from, is very impressive. How often do you see children from wealthy backgrounds work to make a name for themselves?

What kind of message is that sending to Justin if after earning his scholarship, it is demanded that his father pay? He seems to be willing to earn his own way - why deprive him of that right?

Scholarship doesn't seem to be a football scholarship. It's not stated specifically, but it does seem as though academics played at least a part in his selection.

I didn't mean to imply you meant disrespect, and I agree with your sentiment, and I enjoy your presence in this thread. I just wanted to grant Leon the benefit of his best argument: keep the prestige of the scholarship (which he earned) but give back the money (which he may not need).

I still disagree with Leon. There's something cloying and degenerative about the impulse that insists Justin must give his money back. Why? He earned it. Making his father pay for it just undoes the whole premise of the demand for the father's payment; after all, don't we want everyone's children to earn their own merit and be proud of their accomplishments?
Squire

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can appreciate the point of view of it being the lads' own achievement that he got his scholarship, making his dad's money irrelevant. For one thing it means he can take pride in saying he paid for his course himself. I imagine that would be a big deal if you were a kid brought up with rich parents
Leon

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
sml7285 wrote:
Kuros wrote:
sml7285 wrote:
Leon wrote:

I didn't mean to imply you meant disrespect, and I agree with your sentiment, and I enjoy your presence in this thread. I just wanted to grant Leon the benefit of his best argument: keep the prestige of the scholarship (which he earned) but give back the money (which he may not need).

I still disagree with Leon. There's something cloying and degenerative about the impulse that insists Justin must give his money back. Why? He earned it. Making his father pay for it just undoes the whole premise of the demand for the father's payment; after all, don't we want everyone's children to earn their own merit and be proud of their accomplishments?

I'm not really insisting that he must give the money back. If he keeps it, I don't think it would be a big deal. I am just saying that I think it would show lots of class if he returned the money.
sirius black

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P Diddy's kid isn't the fist rich kid to get the scholorship and won't be the last.

PR wise, I'd advice P Diddy to pay for someone elses, some poor kids tuition. But I wouldn't hold him to it. He should be proud of his son. His son exmplified exactly what the term 'student athlete' is.

I am not sure but is his son on an athletic scholorship? Or some other type of scholorhip? Its unclear to me, but I may not have comprehended what it is.

On another note, its great to hear of one of these rappers raising their kid to excel. Rockers and rappers have a bad public image at times and its good to read this story in that sense.
northway

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not like Diddy's actually from the street. He's a suburban private school kid, IIRC.
recessiontime

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is any unfairness it is that Justin happened to be born into a rich family that can afford tutors/private schooling but this is the way of the world.
jaykimf

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it is an athletic scholarship. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/05/ucla-defends-athletic-scholarship-given-to-sean-diddy-combs-son.html
College sports at that level is a for-profit business. Like any other business, the employees are paid for the perceived value they add to the business, not according to how much the employee may or may not need the money. His scholarship is his payment for working for UCLA. Other colleges also offered him scholarships to "play" for their teams.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's completely different because its a football scholarship.

A football scholarship isn't about paying for college, it's about recruiting and guaranteeing a roster spot and if something happens, like an injury, under NCAA rules he would be able to redshirt and maintain eligibility for a 5th year. I think scholarship athletes are also able to have different training regimines and access to insurance and medical care and much more.

No outrage here, in the world of college athletics, a scholarship is basically a contract.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: