Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help/advice in Incheon!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zasoukup

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Need help/advice in Incheon! Reply with quote

Things have hit defcon 5 at my school in the last week. I finish my contract June 7th so I'm looking at less than a month and a half to go. Not once have I been formally reprimanded for any misconduct or behavioral issue. I've never been late, missed a single class or even taken a sick day.

Monday evening, the director of my school goes off in a meeting between him, my head teacher and myself. I'm still relatively unsure of the issues as he speaks little English and my head teacher isn't much better. Apparently he has been taking issue with my behavior for several months now but didn't tell me because, and I quote, "I'm not a child, and he shouldn't have to tell me."

He threatened to fire me in 30 days with a vague "we'll see" tag at the end of it. Then on Wednesday he came to the school in full suit and tie waving around a lawsuit he filed in 2009 against a Korean teacher and threating to do the same to me. He then followed me around the school harrassing me, making up rules as I drank my coffee or sat at my desk. I now can't whistle, tap my foot, lean on the wall, play with my pen or marker in class or leave the school grounds for any reason (even to get food). At one point, he stood at my desk as I retrieved some forms for my class and he knocked my water off my table, stared at me and said oops... sorry.

It really is getting ridiculous. I need advice. I've called the English helpline of the MOEL and they gave me the phone number to the offices here in Incheon, but they said they don't speak English. My head teacher is unwilling to translate for me and I don't know any other Koreans. I've heard there is an English speaking contact here in Incheon for these issues. Does any one know where to go or what to do?

Thanks for the help.
Zackback

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as he said "oops" I would have clocked him.
Skippy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Looks like the school is looking for material for doing a 11 month firing.

This sound serious. Is start preparing for war. Get things ready.

If staying in Korea.
1) Start getting paperwork CRC, Degree, again. The quicker you can move into a new job, the better. May not be needed if you transfer but that is highly unlikely if you are not able to get a letter of release.
2) Find a place to stay if needed. A couch to crash on, room to rent.
3) Get stuff packed and ready.
4) Start gathering proof. - record conversations, collect old pay stubs, write down al your impressions.
5) Save money!
6) Know your options - do you know what visa you can use in you need to stay.
7) STUDY! Read the boards. Brush up on some of the laws.
Cool

DO NOT mention the schools name in a public place like here or facebook. Not yet anyways. If you want to mention in private, ok. Just be careful of bad mouthing the school and raising a stink with libel

DO NOT use co-teachers or any koreans who work with you. Words will leak back to the school either by direct malice or gossip. (memo to self: really need to find some Korean friends)

DO NOT Sign anything. or at least be very careful. If you boss had you sign something about something in the next 30 days. You might have just agreed to quit aka given notice.

You will need to make a choice of going or leaving. Also when right now, a bit later, or when the school gives a final choice of pushing you out the door.

Fighting this is doable but not going to be fun.

Some advice is from my father - Bullshit Baffles Brains. Your boss is taking about how he once sued a Korean teacher. Well so what, this is very likely a completely different situation. He is jut trying to scare you with bs. Be aware of other BS like he will get you deported or black listed. He can prevent you from leaving or getting another job.

Good Luck! (more later)
zasoukup

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice. I'll keep away from my Korean co-workers. The head teacher and vice president have been completely useless to the point of encouraging his behavior anyways.

I told him Friday night I would be recording all our conversations and he tried to tell me it was illegal. He even got on the phone with his "lawyer" told me to work hard but that he would probably fire me Monday. This week he seemed content with just harassing me while I worked.

Where do I stand if he does fire me without notice? I've got a place to stay and I live right by the immigration office so getting a D10 is no problem. And I'll definitely be filing a complaint with the labor board. But what exactly does he owe me if he opts for immediate dismissal?
bbunce

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he paying pension/insurance? Call the pension office. They'll tell you what your balance is. Guys like this don't pay taxes but still steal the money from employees. So search for his tax or business number. Should be located near the front desk. Then make a trip with that number, your contract, and id and report him or threaten too if he does say your fired.

Eventually, immigration and the labor board will recognize all of this as an 11th month firing to avoid paying severance and air fare. Right now the guy is just trying to get you to quit. He probably got some advice from his hagwon director buddies/jerks. They probably have the same kind of website as this one but one you've got to pay for and restricted.

Maybe try a different strategy that worked for me. Tell your boss you're thinking of coming back to Korea and would like to work for him in the future. (Try not to smile when you say it) He might start thinking about all the money he will save if you do return on your own specifically recruiting fees. May not work but just throw the comment out there and who knows. The other suggestions here are all excellent. Sorry to hear your are having a difficult time. I'm sure remember better days are coming. Final advice: DON"T QUIT OR SIGN ANYTHING!!!
pegasus64128

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Damn. Looks like the school is looking for material for doing a 11 month firing.

Sure does! I'd start taking photos of the school on the sly if you haven't (for blackballing). But be careful not to arouse suspicion. You're doing the right thing by talking about it, and seeking advice.
Skippy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zasoukup wrote:

I told him Friday night I would be recording all our conversations and he tried to tell me it was illegal. He even got on the phone with his "lawyer" told me to work hard but that he would probably fire me Monday. This week he seemed content with just harassing me while I worked.

Damn! I would not have told him you would be recording. Well maybe I would tell him for legit meetings.

You may need to start calling him on his bluffs. So on Monday go to work. Go straight to him and ask - am I fired? But I suspect that on Monday he will be missing most of the day.

The paranoid part of me also suspects something. You are leaving June. So maybe he was proactive and planned ahead. He found a teacher, but they are coming early. So maybe he feels he can kill two birds with one stone and save some money. Do you know of any recent people who may have been hired. You may want to bad mouth the school a little. As I said be very very careful with this. Nothing IN PUBLIC. You might want to write a few letters explaining your situation. So when you do go, you can leave behind in the apartment, school, where ever about the school.

Good Luck (more again later)
YTMND

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why all this pu55y footing from the Koreans and the "expat" (a defunct term) crowd?

Just stand up to them and ask him, "Will me leaving early save you money? This is what it is about right?"

I tell it like it is. I don't pu55y foot, I am right in their m of f'n face!!!
zasoukup

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so don't sign anything. He actually tried to do that Monday. He said he wanted a new contract as I was fired based upon my current one, I refused, that's when he threatened the lawsuit.

And here's my situation a little more in detail. Don't judge me, I was a noobie, I came over here on a whim, no real research. I signed a contract with no pension, but health insurance. He told me I didn't need the health insurance because he would pay for anything I needed, so that part of my contract remains unfulfilled.

And I have tried the straight talk, too. I told him to give me my written 30 days notice or fire me on the spot and give me my month's salary. I'm legally justified in that, right? But all he's done is harass me while I work. Now I can't even leave the teacher's room during breaks unless I have to use the restroom, which he tried to stop me from doing as well.

I'll start taking photos of this place so I can burn him later, but I don't think I'll need to. I've heard from two teachers he's looking to downsize his business'. This is just a single school in Incheon, not a franchise, with barely 100 kids. And in two meetings this week he's said well maybe he'll just close the school, to prove the point that this isn't about the money he owes me. The guy is certifiable. Again, thanks for all the help.
Skippy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange! Fires then rehires but under new contract. I do not think that can even be done with immigration unless you are renewing.

I can guess you are not renewing. The new contract is useless. If he fires you then he has to inform immigration and cancel your visa. You could sign a new contract but then you would have to do the visa process again. Yes you could sign a new contract if you decided to extend your stay, but that would have to go to immigration to submit. Confusing! Still do not let the boss keep *beep* footing around. As I said before these mind games are all attempts to get your to change your mind and save money.

If you want to fight dirty, get yourself registered for health insurance and pension. You might have to back pay but so will the boss.

Still keep going to work and working till you get your 30 day notice or you are fired. Still even then you can probably fight it with the labor board.
bbunce

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zasoukup wrote:
Ok, so don't sign anything. He actually tried to do that Monday. He said he wanted a new contract as I was fired based upon my current one, I refused, that's when he threatened the lawsuit.

And here's my situation a little more in detail. Don't judge me, I was a noobie, I came over here on a whim, no real research. I signed a contract with no pension, but health insurance. He told me I didn't need the health insurance because he would pay for anything I needed, so that part of my contract remains unfulfilled.

And I have tried the straight talk, too. I told him to give me my written 30 days notice or fire me on the spot and give me my month's salary. I'm legally justified in that, right? But all he's done is harass me while I work. Now I can't even leave the teacher's room during breaks unless I have to use the restroom, which he tried to stop me from doing as well.

I'll start taking photos of this place so I can burn him later, but I don't think I'll need to. I've heard from two teachers he's looking to downsize his business'. This is just a single school in Incheon, not a franchise, with barely 100 kids. And in two meetings this week he's said well maybe he'll just close the school, to prove the point that this isn't about the money he owes me. The guy is certifiable. Again, thanks for all the help.

He has to give you 30 days notice unless you've done something seriously wrong. (Like hit a student-not show up for work) I would ignore him as much as possible too. Arrive at the last minute and leave as soon as possible. Don't talk to anyone, just look like your busy with something work related. In other words, don't give him any ammunition. Simple yes or no to his questions will suffice. Never lose sight that this is about the money he owes you. You're talking about airfare, severance, last month's pay which easily adds to 5 million won.
luckylady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Op - if I was you, I'd go ahead and contact Labor there in your area. even if you don't have a complaint to file just yet, you can talk to them and find out what procedures to follow, get a heads up on what to do just in case and in general just gain some reassurance. don't be put off by someone on the phone who said no one speaks English - chances are that's just the person answering the phone - if you show up, they will find someone who speaks English, I promise.

the Korean Labor offices are often filled with very pro-active people (not always but generally) and someone there might actually call your boss and calm things down for you so you can finish your contract in peace, or at least a little less chaos.

you say you don't have any Korean friends - but what about any parents of your students? did you form any relationships there? if you are really that isolated, make it a point next time around to do some outreach. it is helpful not just for your own well being but to better understand the situation you are in as well.
greatunknown

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck brother!

My advice is don't let it stress you out, and get to work looking for another job! I'd sure hate to see you go home early.

Definitely go the labor board route if you have too. But, you only have a month or so to go right? If possible swallow your pride and try to work things out with the Kim Jong-il or whatever your boss's name is. If not, move on, don't give the bugger a second thought. We didn't come here for the money right?

My door is always open if you need a place to crash (Assuming I don't get canned myself..)! My apartment is too big for one person and it looks like I'll be here till the end of June. If it does come to that I'll have to get us a dart board or something! Hey we might save some money that "Irish" bar is costing us a fortune. Susan's gonna be pissed though Very Happy Very Happy

Good luck!

NB
zasoukup

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do get my 30-day notice, say a week before my payday, should I still get paid on my regular pay day plus whatever the extra three weeks is worth prorated? Or does it push the one month's salary I'm owed out until the end of the 30 day notice?

Also, like I said, I have a phone number, but does anyone actually know where the Incheon Labor Board offices are? I'm in Namgu, Yeonghyun-dong if that matters.

Update, too. The raging waters have receded. I haven't seen or heard from my boss all week. There's just no way to be sure though if he's backed off or preparing to make good on his threats. Either way, I'm still getting ready.

Thanks for the help. More questions to come I'm sure.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you recorded him saying that he was going to fire you then you've got all the ammunition that you need. It's an 11th month firing. Forget about whether he owes you money for the next 30 days or until the end of the month. It's a moot point. Unless you did something really bad, the labor board won't stand for it. At the very least they'll give you a letter to use at immigration to transfer to a D10 visa (or transfer your current E2 to another school). Most likely they make the boss pay you until the end of the contract plus severance and airfare.

As far as minor stuff goes, it's only his word against yours. Next time he starts yelling at you (which hopefully you're recording) just lean back, put your feet up on the desk and smile at him. It's not something he can fire you over. And if there's no CCTV then he can't even prove that you were insubordinate. But you can prove that he yelled at you and threatened to fire you. Likely he'll be careful about what he says though (you shouldn't have told him your recording everything).

Still, go to the labor board anyway to ask what you can do in this situation. Also report him to the pension office. Although you'll also have to back pay your pension deductions, YOU can get it back when you leave along with his contributions. When he finds out that you reported him, he'll go through the roof. Just be ready to record that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: