Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian Police Check from Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Canadian Police Check from Korea Reply with quote

Okay, so it's possible to get the RCMP criminal record checkout outside of Canada.

All you have to do is get your finger prints taken at a local police station.

Info here:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr2-eng.htm

Big question is:

1. Who here has done this?

2. How long did it take to criminal record check back?

We talking months and months? Or is it fast?
chachee99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standard RCMP check takes 3-6 months to arrive in Korea.

However, go here http://www.reliabilityscreening.com/eng/index_eng.shtml . They can get you a RCMP check back to you stamped and ready for immigration in less than two weeks. It costs a lot more, but it is much faster and they have done this 100's of times for people in Korea.

Go to a Korean police station. Get your fingerprints done. Mail them off. Pay them. They do the check and notorization and ship the results back to you.

They also do notorized degrees if you need that done as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ren546

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ridiculously expensive. I almost feel like moving back to Canada and starting one of those companies now just to rob people blind.

If you have a few months, send it directly to RCMP (takes a week to get there). If you know someone in Canada (like your parents), have the RCMP send it there instead of back to Korea, and then it takes about 2 months, + a week or less to courier it here.

I've had two done this way and they both took approx. 9 weeks. It's possible that it could take 6 months, but seems a little unlikely.
chachee99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the price is outrageous. However, it is cheaper than booking a flight back to Canada and doing the fingerprint check yourself electronically and getting it stamped yourself by the consulate. When I spoke with the guy on the phone, he stated that the machine he uses to scan and submit the fingerprints cost approximately 30,000 dollars a piece to purchase, so i guess the fee he charges is used to help him compensate for his investment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the time to wait for it to be processed by the RCMP (120 days on average) you can get it authenticated (affidavit of authenticity) at the Canadian Embassy in Seoul. These ARE accepted by immigration and the MOE.

michpottier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it through my local Canadian police department when I was in Korea. It is a common misconception that you need an RCMP criminal check, when in fact when you walk into your local police station in Canada they are directly connected to the RCMP, and the check is automatically nation wide. I am a teacher in Canada, and I got my check at the local police station in Halifax. In Korea I just wrote a signed letter giving someone in my family permission to pick me a up a record check, and payed the regular fee (around 25$ at the time).

The only time they do those RCMP 3-6 month checks is if your name matches someone else who has a severe criminal record and they have to look at you more closely. This is uncommon but happens from time to time.

I would contact someone at home and ask them to stop by the local police department and ask what their procedure is for a family member to pick up your criminal record check, each station might have their own procedure.
global_gal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just contacted my city police station at my home in Ontario. I was told that the RCMP handles all requests for checks from people who are outside the country and this is the directive of the RCMP themselves. It's not the unwillingness of the local police to do them. The city police cannot do a check for you if you are not there in person. They will not allow someone else to pick up the info, even if you give written permission.

If some local police stations are doing this service then you are lucky. But don't count on it. I was unaware of the change in policy and expected to get a check done quick and easy. Not to be!

Guess I'll have to go the route of Reliability company and pony up the high fees!
RobertX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, do we need the vss check too? and if so, how do we get it from here?
how much was that service to expedite the process?
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobertX wrote:
so, do we need the vss check too?

No. Not available for overseas requests & not required.
RobertX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks schwa, that's good news
jadefrog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fingerprint-based, RCMP criminal records check is the standard required by both Immigration and the Ministry of Education. Metro and provincial level checks (that make use of an RCMP database) have been accepted by some Immigration officials in the past, but this is by no means a certainty.
Several people I know have accepted the say-so of consular clerks in their home country, had the metro/provincial name-based checks done and been notarized by the consulate, only to have their visa application rejected.
Skippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadefrog wrote:
A fingerprint-based, RCMP criminal records check is the standard required by both Immigration and the Ministry of Education. Metro and provincial level checks (that make use of an RCMP database) have been accepted by some Immigration officials in the past, but this is by no means a certainty.

So this is the standard, the question is where is this standard written down. Or is is just the general guess. This is what really bothers me is the vagueness of some situations and policies. Like the supposed permission is that CRC is not need if a person comes back before 90 days. Does that count for in between visas, too? Does a CRC have to be verified by Korean consulate or is Canadian Embassy affidavit of authenticity fine. Ttompatz says it is and I usually take his word a gospel, but some people in the past have had the typical immigration flip flopping.

Still you are right. In the end I think the RCMP is the best and safest course.

Should follow my own advice. I think every Canadian twice a year should send in a CRC check application.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: