Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching PE to Kindy Ideas Please Look Inside for My Ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthews_world

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Teaching PE to Kindy Ideas Please Look Inside for My Ideas Reply with quote

We teach a 30 minute PE class to kindy 2 days per week. We have a small playroom that we use. The ceiling is only about 10 feet high and we don't have much sports equipment, just your basic balls for soccer, basketball, etc.

I'm looking for some games we can play with the kids that provide physcial benefits while teaching English at the same time. I'll share some of my ideas that we use as well.

Tumbling

Equipment Needed: Floor mats (heavy-duty, same used for gymnastics) .

Method: Do cartwheels and somersaults. Students can tumble over other objects on the floor.

Leap Frog

Equipment Needed: Floor mats for safety.

Method: Students crouch down in a single line. The student in the rear leaps over the ones in front. The next student in the rear continues.

Obstacle Course

Equipment Needed: Use objects already in the room.

Method: Students can circumnavigate around the room, climbing and descending obstacles. Use a small basketball and dribble around the obstacles on the course. Be creative.

Simon Sez

Equipment Needed: None.

Method: Students stand in front of the teacher. Students follow commands of the teacher. When teacher puts Simon Sez before the command the student then must follow. When the teacher does not say it before the command and the students perform the command, then the student has failed to pay attention. You can have the student sit out of the game until there is one winner or include that student in the next commands.

Duck, Duck, Goose

Equipment Needed: Floor.

Method: Students sit in a circle. One student is the goose. That student must go around the circle, calling each student a duck When the student touches the "goose", that student must get up and run around the circle one time, trying to catch the goose. If the student fails, then they are the new goose. If the student catches the goose, that student sits down and the old goose continues.

Red Rover

Equipment Needed: None.

Method: Make two lines of children facing each other. Students hold hands. Each team takes turns and must chant the following: "Red rover, red Rover, send Patty right over." That student runs to the opposing team's line and tries to break through the connected arms of the other team. If they fail he must join that team. The previous student's team will then say the chant and choose the next person to send over.

Balloon Relay

Equipment Needed - 2 balloons.

Method: Play this game with 2 teams. The first student's in each line will place a blown-up balloon between their legs. They must walk to the other side of the room and back without dropping the balloon. If they drop the balloon, then they must go back and start again. Continue until each person has gone. Loads of fun!

Happy Teaching! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by matthews_world on Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:30 am; edited 2 times in total
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's that old classic MR WOLF... does it need an explanation??? PM me if you need one.

One of my favourite games with little people was Octopus Tag, a kind of variation of Red Rover. I was the octopus and I would stand in the middle of the room and the kids would run from one side to the other. If I tagged them, they also became an octopus and have to stand on the spot where they were tagged and try and tag other kids as they run past.

Another fave is SCARECROW TIGGY ... you chase the kids around and if you tag them, they turn into scarecrows with their arms out and legs astride. To be released from this pose, another child must crawl between their legs.

POISON BALL... there are a few kids in the middle and the other kids throw a (soft) ball at them. If they are hit by the ball, they are out. Works well when you have a few balls going at once.

TUNNEL BALL... the kids make a line and they have roll a ball between their line of legs and when it reaches the last person, that person runs to the front of the line and passes the ball back again. It continues until everyone has received the ball at the end of the line and run to the front.

Just realised that most of these games don't really have any English benefits, but they can be fun!
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharks and Tuna.

Very Very Very popular with the kids I have taught....

Basically, if you don't know what Sharks and Tuna is, here goes:

- Divide the class into two groups.
- One side is Sharks, the other is Tuna.
- Each team goes to opposite ends of the room or area.
- The teacher (whale) stands in the middle and yells "Sharks!!!" and all the sharks have to get to the other side without being tagged by the teacher.
- Roate between Sharks and Tuna (or call them both at the same time).
- The last student becomes the "whale".
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts! Keep 'em comin'.

We also play Hot Potato.

Think of a category such as 'Letters', 'Animals' or 'Numbers'. Have students sit in a circle. Use a ball as the potato. They roll the ball to each other and have to name a word in that category. They have so many seconds until the ball becomes and hot potato and they must quickly name something before they 'get burned.' Use phrases and grammar such as 'I like...", "my favorite is...", etc.

Happy Teaching!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by matthews_world on Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:34 am; edited 2 times in total
weatherman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of made up a game one day while I took my kids out to play some of the usual games. First I should say that the class was made up of 6 fifth or sixth grade boys and only one girl. We had a tennis ball and made two teams, I played on both teams. Basicly the whole primise of the game was to keep the ball in motion. A player could only hold the ball for 3 seconds before tossing it to another player. It become a kind of team free-for-all keep-away. The boys loved it, got to run around, throw, and laugh a lot. Was good for about 10 to 15 minutes. There was realy little English pratice, but the kids had fun, and this is important when they went home and reported about how their day went.
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirty minutes seems like too much time for PE. Shocked

Give each kid an alphabet flashcard - best if there is a picture on it - and put the kids in a circle. One kid, without a flashcard, is put in the circle center. The teacher says, "I see a dog," (or 'd') and the center kid tries to touch the classmate with the 'd' flash card before that kid can say "I see a boy,"(or 'b'). When the kid in the circle touches the kid with the appropriate flashcard before that kid can say the "I see a ..." statement, the touched kid goes in the circle and the first kid gets the flash card.

I hope that wasn't too convoluted.

Make two (or more) sets of flashcards and laminate them. Put the kids into two (or more) groups. Throw the cards on the air(but don't let the groups get mixed up). Tell the teams to put them in the correct order.

Good luck.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharks and Tuna:

Sounds fun. Wouldn't it make sense that the person in the middle would be the shark, then they could try to catch the tuna and maybe the dolphins Sad Poor fish. *LOL*
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR WOLF

This is a game to teach time and numbers.

The teacher is the wolf and the students line up on the opposite side of the room from the teacher.

The students ask "What's the time Mr Wolf?" and if Mr Wolf says "Six O'Clock", the students must take 6 steps forward. The students keep repeating the question and moving the appropriate amount of steps forward.

When the students get really close, Mr Wolf might reply to the question ... "It's dinnertime" which results in pandemonium with the kids screaming and running to the safety of the wall and the wolf trying to catch a student to become the wolf.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthew's_world wrote:

Quote:
We also play Hot Potato

Don't they burn their hands?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsyfish wrote:
Thirty minutes seems like too much time for PE. Shocked

At my last hogwon, I had to teach 40-minute PE classes for kindegarten; they were a pain in the butt. I'm impressed you're able to play any games with them Matthews_World; my typical class was 5 minutes stretching, then 5-10 minutes to play the game (which usually wasn't that fun anyway), then everything broke into chaos.
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forty minutes is way too much. I suspect the person who set up the program had never taught (or, even, read about) teaching kindy. I'm no expert - I taught for a year in Taiwan - but the people that set up the program really had their stuff together. We had monthly training, a great course book, and a very pro-active woman in charge, who monitored every class(though not to the micromanagement level) and offered many useful suggestions.

Teaching kindy is what kept me in Taiwan. Life sucked until I started teaching the kids. When I mentioned this to the aforementioned woman-in-charge, she said that it was because I had a family with the kids and she was 100% right.

I've found this post to be one of the more informative and useful on the board. Congratulations!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: