Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Important Fan Death news!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MollyBloom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Important Fan Death news!! Reply with quote

I just had one of my uni students write a paragraph about how Fan Death is a Korean superstition! Whoo hoo! Finally!
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Important Fan Death news!! Reply with quote

It astounds me that people believe that myth. The most baffling thing for me is that usually there is someone making money from myths like these that are quite obviously untrue. There are plenty of people with an interest in keeping alternative medicine in business, but fan death? Aren't there scientists in Korea? Somebody should write a book about fan death and make some money from it. When I tell friends back home about fan death they think Koreans are idiots
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory is that fan death was invented by the establishment to cover up the depressing number of alcohol related and carbon monoxide poisoning by ondol deaths. That or Samsung needed to unload a massive surplus of fan timers at some point in the past.
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Important Fan Death news!! Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
It astounds me that people believe that myth. The most baffling thing for me is that usually there is someone making money from myths like these that are quite obviously untrue. There are plenty of people with an interest in keeping alternative medicine in business, but fan death? Aren't there scientists in Korea? Somebody should write a book about fan death and make some money from it. When I tell friends back home about fan death they think Koreans are idiots

Oh, yeah. It's one of the most hilariously ridiculous things I've come across in my life. I've destroyed that insane concept for three Korean women and it was an enormous pleasure to whip up the computer or phone and watch them read the wikipedia on that one:

Quote:
Despite widespread reporting from the media and other agencies in South Korea about fan death, it has never been explained by these organizations why this phenomenon has never been reported or even heard of in any country other than South Korea.

But, no, it couldn't be... every year people die... no, it's on the news every year... old people... oh my god, the government and the media are ******* with our heads and we all believe it...
Drew345

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next they'll come out with something like... the common cold isn't really caused by large temperature differences between night and day.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
My theory is that fan death was invented by the establishment to cover up the depressing number of alcohol related and carbon monoxide poisoning by ondol deaths. That or Samsung needed to unload a massive surplus of fan timers at some point in the past.

My theory is that it's simply a transfer of the actual reason for CO deaths in the winter not that long ago (back when people only had yeontan (charcoal briquet) to use for heating). Now that the winter heating is safe, they can't blame it on the ondol anymore.

What about the so-called reason for the pails of used toilet paper? In the late 1970s, I lived in Seoul, not that far from downtown, in a nice but not rich area. All of the houses in my area had outhouses. I don't mean toilets with running water in a little room next to the house; I mean an actual pit. The honey bucket brigade would charge a lot more than the regular rate if you had paper of any kind in your pit.

And the tap water? Oh, what's the use? We can go on and on about these, shall we we say quirks of life here.
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I heard about the yeontan thing, it��s also a racial slur against black people right. Isnt there some story about two black guys and a taxi driver?
ED209

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Important Fan Death news!! Reply with quote

Fan death doesn't need to make anyone money any more than 'clicking your knuckles cause arthritis' makes anyone money. However, if only fans with timers can be sold in Korea this adds limits to the import of fans which don't meet korean standards.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
The honey bucket brigade would charge a lot more than the regular rate if you had paper of any kind in your pit.

Interesting, although I wonder if now it's because a trashcan is less likely to get stolen than a plunger.
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The honey bucket brigade would charge a lot more than the regular rate if you had paper of any kind in your pit.

What does this mean and who are the Honey Bucket Brigade?

Maybe I'm being dim, but me no understand, but me like old stories like these, so now me is curious.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sultan of Seoul wrote:
Quote:

What does this mean and who are the Honey Bucket Brigade?

Maybe I'm being dim, but me no understand, but me like old stories like these, so now me is curious.

"Honey bucket" is a euphemism for "manure pail." "Brigade" is, of course, the people who carry the honey buckets. Those guys would charge to clean out your outhouse pits. The benefit for them was that they would also sell the manure to the farmers. The farmers, as you can imagine, are not interested in having tons of newspaper, toilet paper, catalog pages, etc., mixed in with their fertilizer. That means the honey bucket brigade would have to strain the manure. Simplest solution: don't put paper in the pit. Ah, I notice you still have a quizzical look on your face. Yes, yes. There is still the problem of what to do with the paper in the pail. Quite simple, really. Burn the paper.

And this was in the capital city in a regular (read: not poor) area.
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, in the seventies!

Hard to imagine now, impossible almost.

Thanks for the story man!
T-J

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my students in NowonGu still had an outhouse up until '94.
MollyBloom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the point of my topic was that my student acknowledged that it is not real! This is a happy day!
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-J wrote:

One of my students in NowonGu still had an outhouse up until '94.

Most old farmhouses still have outhouses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: