Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Important Fan Death news!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fermentation

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
T-J wrote:

One of my students in NowonGu still had an outhouse up until '94.

Most old farmhouses still have outhouses.

My grandmother had one until that huge ass flood in a few years ago. The government renovated it after the flood.
Yangachi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the EPA, there might be something to this fan death thing:

On p.49, Use of Portable Electric Fans During Excessive Heat Events, the report states that:

The widespread availability and ease of using portable electric fans draw
many people to use them for personal cooling during an EHE. Portable
electric fans can, however, increase the circulation of hot air, which
increases thermal stress and health risks during EHE conditions

EHE = Extreme Heat Event

The report then lists of series of thing not to do, including:

Use a portable electric fan in a closed room without windows or
doors open to the outside
(p.49)

http://www.epa.gov/hiri/about/pdf/EHEguide_final.pdf
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice effort, but that is not what Koreans mean when they talk of fan death. ^^
Yangachi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not?
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. They think that being in a room and sleeping with a fan on in any conditions can kill you.
Yangachi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No. They think that being in a room and sleeping with a fan on in any conditions can kill you

Well, it seems that having a fan on during very hot weather (when else would you have it on?) with the windows and doors closed is indeed dangerous, and in extreme conditions, possibly fatal. Perhaps it's time we stopped mocking Koreans about this.
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yangachi wrote:
Quote:
No. They think that being in a room and sleeping with a fan on in any conditions can kill you

Well, it seems that having a fan on during very hot weather (when else would you have it on?) with the windows and doors closed is indeed dangerous, and in extreme conditions, possibly fatal. Perhaps it's time we stopped mocking Koreans about this.

We mock Koreans because they believe that sleeping in a room during any season / weather with a fan on will kill you.

Different.
Yangachi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sultan of Seoul wrote:
Yangachi wrote:
Quote:

We mock Koreans because they believe that sleeping in a room during any season / weather with a fan on will kill you.

Different.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what 'they' believe cos I haven't heard about the 'Fan Death' thing from a Korean in quite some time. What I do know is that somewhere close to 100% of foreigners outright reject the notion completely. I used to be one of them.
comm

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia wrote:
The Korea Consumer Protection Board (KCPB), a South Korean government-funded public agency, issued a consumer safety alert in 2006 warning that "asphyxiation from electric fans and air conditioners" was among South Korea's five most common seasonal summer accidents or injuries, according to data they collected.[1] The KCPB published the following:
If bodies are exposed to electric fans or air conditioners for too long, it causes [the] bodies to lose water and [causes] hypothermia. If directly in contact with [air current from] a fan, this could lead to death from [an] increase of carbon dioxide saturation concentration [sic] and decrease of oxygen concentration. The risks are higher for the elderly and patients with respiratory problems. From 2003 [to] 2005, a total of 20 cases were reported through the CISS involving asphyxiations caused by leaving electric fans and air conditioners on while sleeping. To prevent asphyxiation, timers should be set, wind direction should be rotated and doors should be left open.
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

According to the EPA, electric fans can increase the risk of heat related ailments such as heat stroke. That's completely sensible. I'll even go so far as to say that it could contribute to dehydration, especially for someone trying to sleep off a hangover. But the KCPB says it's asphyxiation, and that couldn't be more stupid.
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yangachi wrote:
Quote:

This is like driving drunk and then blaming the pavement for your crash.

People die in every country, every summer, from heat related deaths. There were tens of thousands of elderly French citizens who died in that heat wave a few years back. Note that high temperatures and dehydration caused their deaths, if they did have a fan on (and all windows closed) that would not significantly change anything. One would first have to blame the windows being closed before the fan being on. And that would be way after blaming the person not hydrating adequately, and blaming the 40 degree weather which is the main causative factor.

There is a reason we don't call drunk driving accidents "pavement death." The fact that someone was driving on the pavement is true, but it is incidental.
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do an adult class with a science research company, and the last class was on superstition. They flat out said Fan Death was BS and laughed at it. Not all Koreans believe it. To be honest, a lot of Koreans have never even heard of it (in my experience).
UknowsI

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:

According to the EPA, electric fans can increase the risk of heat related ailments such as heat stroke. That's completely sensible. I'll even go so far as to say that it could contribute to dehydration, especially for someone trying to sleep off a hangover. But the KCPB says it's asphyxiation, and that couldn't be more stupid.

Even though it is possible to make a theoretical situation where you can die from a fan, I still think a fan will prevent a heat stroke more often than it would cause a heat stroke. I have seen a few of these "scientific" explanation of fan death, but the arguments are always so weak that the risk cannot be considered significant.

It should be noted though, that I have second hand experience with people dying from Air Conditioning, but that is a quite different situation.
expat80

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Yeontan use Reply with quote

I'm looking to move to a new apartment. It's in an older home that uses yeontan. Is using yeontan for heating safe?
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
I do an adult class with a science research company, and the last class was on superstition. They flat out said Fan Death was BS and laughed at it. Not all Koreans believe it. To be honest, a lot of Koreans have never even heard of it (in my experience).

I've only had it come up in conversation with a couple Koreans, and in those cases, it was something they 'believed', but had just never really put any thought to. It was just an insignificant factoid that they never had cause to call into question, but when they thought about it seriously for a moment, it became laughable.

It's like when my troll teacher in grade 7 taught our class algebra was named after the inventor, and I just assumed that was true for years because it was such an irrelevant piece of information I never thought twice about it.

Now if I ever met a Korean who seriously tried to argue "the fans suck all the air out of the room" or "chop up all the oxygen molecules", I...I would be appalled.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Yeontan use Reply with quote

expat80 wrote:
I'm looking to move to a new apartment. It's in an older home that uses yeontan. Is using yeontan for heating safe?

its a very economical way to stay very warm.

i would suggest from what little I know to make sure that the smoke ventilation system is working well and clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: