Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gwanak SLP information and interview.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peppermintty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Gwanak SLP information and interview. Reply with quote

Recently I was offered an interview with Gwanak SLP. After doing a search on the forums I only found one recent thread mentioning that specific branch and another thread from 2006. Neither were very helpful.

Does anyone have any experiences with this hagwon? I'm a little skittish about hagwon positions in general.

Also, if anyone does have experiences, any interview tips? I will probably interview regardless, just so I don't totally dismiss the option.
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked there in 2003. Long time ago, but everyone there was happy. The owner / director was a Korean man named T-J, so if he's there, I'd say you'll be fine.

I would have to add though that the happy ones were doing the (aprox)1pm - 9pm afternoon - evening shift teaching ele and mid school kids.

Me and another did the kindy / ele gig 9am - 5pm and it was downright exhausting. Lots of contact time and monthly phone calling too. Wouldn't do that kind of gig (kindy) for less than 2.7 / 2.8mil now. The aft - eve shift though seemed pretty cushy and I highly envied those guys.

But yeah, there were 9 of us waygs there back then and it was a well run hakwan, own set curriculum, nice bosses and co-workers and it's a nice little area in pretty much downtown Seoul with decent food and some nice small mountains and only a few stops from gangnam. You could do slightly better but you could do far far worse. Apartments were small, very small one rooms but not unliveable I guess, though the one I had was the smallest I have had in SK in the 8 yrs I was there. Liveable though and a decent atmosphere at the school.

Well, that WAS 9 years ago, so kinda outdated I guess, though I imagine if the same guy still runs it, things wont have changed too much, everyone seemed to like him.
peppermintty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sultan of Seoul wrote:
Worked there in 2003. Long time ago, but everyone there was happy. The owner / director was a Korean man named T-J, so if he's there, I'd say you'll be fine.

I would have to add though that the happy ones were doing the (aprox)1pm - 9pm afternoon - evening shift teaching ele and mid school kids.

Me and another did the kindy / ele gig 9am - 5pm and it was downright exhausting. Lots of contact time and monthly phone calling too. Wouldn't do that kind of gig (kindy) for less than 2.7 / 2.8mil now. The aft - eve shift though seemed pretty cushy and I highly envied those guys.

But yeah, there were 9 of us waygs there back then and it was a well run hakwan, own set curriculum, nice bosses and co-workers and it's a nice little area in pretty much downtown Seoul with decent food and some nice small mountains and only a few stops from gangnam. You could do slightly better but you could do far far worse. Apartments were small, very small one rooms but not unliveable I guess, though the one I had was the smallest I have had in SK in the 8 yrs I was there. Liveable though and a decent atmosphere at the school.

Well, that WAS 9 years ago, so kinda outdated I guess, though I imagine if the same guy still runs it, things wont have changed too much, everyone seemed to like him.

Thanks for the information! According to the information the recruiter sent me, they now have 20 foreign teachers and 25 Korean teachers. It seemed like a lot of foreign teachers, but I don't know what is standard.

The position I'm interviewing for is the 1-9 position. If the apartments are very small, I might be better off with the position in Busan I am considering... they are likely a bit larger.

Thank you again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: