Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ranking of Korean Universities for Terms and Conditions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a Buddist school, so why should they care about Santa's birthday.

Laughing That's a good one. I will send in my documents anyway in the hope they can change the interview dates. I won't hold my breath though.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:

Regardless of their beliefs, they should realize that many people are not available to interview at that time.

Planting hurdles in front of applicants "to see who really wants it" is not likely to get you the most qualified or suitable candidates. Just the desperate ones.

The goal of recruitment is to find the best people. Holding interviews the day after Christmas is self-defeating. Period.
Taylormade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers to the OP for this thread. Very helpful indeed.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a recent uni interview in the afternoon. Hagwon or PS, I wouldn't have been able to make it without getting the day off. My boss was cool about it, and I found a sub, so I was able to make it, but I agree: they're trying to see how badly you want the job.
zappadelta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:

Regardless of their beliefs, they should realize that many people are not available to interview at that time.

Planting hurdles in front of applicants "to see who really wants it" is not likely to get you the most qualified or suitable candidates. Just the desperate ones.

The goal of recruitment is to find the best people. Holding interviews the day after Christmas is self-defeating. Period.

well its a good way to cut the field. What��d they get, maybe 500 applicants
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a recent uni interview in the afternoon. Hagwon or PS, I wouldn't have been able to make it without getting the day off. My boss was cool about it, and I found a sub, so I was able to make it, but I agree: they're trying to see how badly you want the job.

Desperation is not a great indicator of how qualified someone is for a job.

Quote:
well its a good way to cut the field. What��d they get, maybe 500 applicants

It's not better than looking at experience, qualifications, publications and many other more relevant qualities.
scorpiocandy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone hear from or get an interview with Dongguk (Seoul)?
Taylormade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
At the very bottom must rank the Foreign Language Teaching Institute (flttc) at Hankuk University. This link basically says it all:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=109597&highlight=

Definitely true if you are talking about the housing (cough). They put their prized teachers in an unfurnished dormitory room and basically charge them 190,000 won a month in 'maintenance fees' for the privilege.

Someone should start a thread on the ranking of university housing conditions.Confused
earthquakez

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find the post re Woosong University but even if somebody directs me to it I'd still like to find out more info.

I don't want to live in Daejon but the ad that was run on the caf's job board seems reasonable. Is it that reasonable? The conditions looked good and they seem willing to accept people with no Master's but who had the kind of cvs some foreigners have which are based on years of experience but no higher degree.

Anybody worked at Woosong or currently there? Can you tell us why they are re advertising and if the conditions are as good as they seem?
atwood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthquakez wrote:
I couldn't find the post re Woosong University but even if somebody directs me to it I'd still like to find out more info.

I don't want to live in Daejon but the ad that was run on the caf's job board seems reasonable. Is it that reasonable? The conditions looked good and they seem willing to accept people with no Master's but who had the kind of cvs some foreigners have which are based on years of experience but no higher degree.

Anybody worked at Woosong or currently there? Can you tell us why they are re advertising and if the conditions are as good as they seem?

Woosung was a pretty good place to work and Daejon is a not a bad place to live. The pay was kind of low and probably still is.

It's a big operation--university, two junior colleges, high school--that needs a lot of foreign instructors, so that's probably why they're re-advertising.
Spike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpiocandy wrote:
Did anyone hear from or get an interview with Dongguk (Seoul)?

Two friends of mine were offered positions there the Monday after the interviews.
earthquakez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
earthquakez wrote:

Woosung was a pretty good place to work and Daejon is a not a bad place to live. The pay was kind of low and probably still is.

It's a big operation--university, two junior colleges, high school--that needs a lot of foreign instructors, so that's probably why they're re-advertising.

Thanks for giving me that information. Appreciated.

Does anybody know when Woosong applications close? Daejon's not really my cup of tea but I'd move there for a university job.

I'm surprised they'll consider people w/out an MA/Phd. The great majority of Korean universities want higher degrees and seem to think that one makes you the kind of teacher who should be teaching at a university. They won't consider equivalent experience - and that's why I know of and hear about people with a higher degree and little on their cvs getting jobs at those places.

I also know of people who get university jobs w/out higher degrees and nothing remarkable on their cvs. In the right place at the right time - good luck to them but this all doesn't make sense to me from the perspective of somebody who has more than that.
earthquakez

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again, I'm only a Brit male who has worked in five different countries (including UK) and that includes teaching at colleges in the European country and another one. What the hell would I know about being able to teach in a Korean university - their standards are so high. Razz

Demands for MAs and Phds according to nearly every Korean university hiring ad I've read for the past year or so but there seem to be more than enough waygugin with neither at plenty of Korean universities.

And who wants a Brit male with so much real life experience when somebody can get hired because they did an MA or Phd and not much else? Looks like I'll be giving unis a miss again - tho Woosong sounded alright. Bet they hire the usual quota of higher degree with mediocre resume and blonde young Nth American teachers who have blagged their way into the job with just BAs and just about nothing else.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends... personally, if the Brit male we interviewed had such a chip on their shoulder, and were so overly-confident, I'd probably hire the American with no experience.

We just don't need the baggage, nor would we want someone talking down to the rest of the staff.

You'd probably be unhappy, and it would show in your work, or create a bad vibe.
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to side with Swamp on this one. Experience is important, but the currency tendered for university level teaching employment is the higher degree, at least the MA/MS and preferably a terminal degree.

A very good friend and TESOL teaching professional summed it up beautifully. He said that higher degrees and certificates reflect growth. When you learn more, you gain more diversified experience. This is facilitated by keeping up with progress in the discipline, something graduate school, if only at the introductory level, trains you to do. His input was that someone with a Bachelor's and ten years of teaching under their belt really has just one or two years of actual experience. The rest is simply a press of the repeat button.

No, this doesn't necessarily mean that you can't teach and do so effectively with just a four year degree - primary and secondary school teachers do it every day. We are, however, talking about teaching at the university level. Degree level, therefore, is an important indicator of ones dedication to the job and to the profession, and should indeed be a major consideration when screening applicants. Want to get a leg up in business? Get your MBA, even if you won't use much of what you learn immediately at
your job. Do you want a lawyer who never went to law school? When you did your undergrad, did your professors have Ph.D.s? Even for the intro courses? Would you want to take a Master's in a program taught with faculty composed of only MA holders?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: