Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ranking of Korean Universities for Terms and Conditions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In teaching jobs logically you should want to publicise how good your conditions are as by doing that you're more likely to get better quality people applying to your school. Consequently you'll end up working with people who care about the job and whom you're more likely to be able to learn from.
withnail

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! With a bit of intelligence, we may all benefit!
zappadelta

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if I didn't have a good uni job with much better than average conditions, I would want to hear more about the open positions out there.

I also guess if I worked in a Liberal Arts English conversation type department with 25-40 teachers, I wouldn't care as much as well. There are just a couple of people in my department, and we are well qualified (related masters with years/decades of uni experience/publications and presentations).

If I were to publicize what the conditions, many more qualified people would apply, and because of this it seems natural that the uni would start to get suspicious that maybe their conditions are better/much better than other places, which would lead to a possible cut in pay/benefits.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think your university really doesn't know what pay and conditions its competitors are offering? Pretty slapdash if they don't.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zappadelta wrote:
I guess if I didn't have a good uni job with much better than average conditions, I would want to hear more about the open positions out there.

I also guess if I worked in a Liberal Arts English conversation type department with 25-40 teachers, I wouldn't care as much as well. There are just a couple of people in my department, and we are well qualified (related masters with years/decades of uni experience/publications and presentations).

If I were to publicize what the conditions, many more qualified people would apply, and because of this it seems natural that the uni would start to get suspicious that maybe their conditions are better/much better than other places, which would lead to a possible cut in pay/benefits.

...Or conditions worsen because you end up with an alcoholic with a PhD who shows up to class drunk (when he does show up) and a BS artist who takes off on vacation mid-semester. That's how we were rewarded last time someone publicized the excellent conditions at my university.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...Or conditions worsen because you end up with an alcoholic with a PhD who shows up to class drunk (when he does show up) and a BS artist who takes off on vacation mid-semester. That's how we were rewarded last time someone publicized the excellent conditions at my university.

What's the logic behind that? 'We employed two people to do a job who turned out to be crap. So that must mean that the people already doing the same job must be crap too. So let's pay them all less'. If anything they should have paid you more when they were shown how difficult it can be to get and retain good staff.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

What's the logic behind that? 'We employed two people to do a job who turned out to be crap. So that must mean that the people already doing the same job must be crap too. So let's pay them all less'. They should have paid you more when they were shown how difficult it can be to get and retain good staff.

If you think that salary is the only criteria to good work conditions, then I've got a job for you that pays 25 million won a month. All it involves is getting kicked in the crotch repeatedly, 8 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Joking aside....No, it didn't affect our salaries (I still get a raise every year, as a matter of fact). However, new policies have been instituted which have increased the amount of restrictions were are subjected to. For example, we are still on duty after we've submitted our grades. The beginning of our vacation has been pushed back a few weeks (which means that those of us who plan to travel abroad have to pay the high season ticket prices now) so that administration can look them over because one of these bozos left the moment he was done giving exams, dumping his unintelligible and incomplete records on our T.A.'s lap.

Last edited by 12ax7 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
hubbahubba

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:

What's the logic behind that? 'We employed two people to do a job who turned out to be crap. So that must mean that the people already doing the same job must be crap too. So let's pay them all less'. If anything they should have paid you more when they were shown how difficult it can be to get and retain good staff.

Yawn...why don't you try fishing in better waters and ask Patrick Busan about how Korean Uni's operate? He's the expert. None of us have a clue. Good luck with your trolling Wink
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a fair question and got a good and informative response from 12ax7 about how his university works. Now I know more about it. thanks.
withnail

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright then! Back on topic!

My friend thinks that of the "biggies", it is Yonsei (Not FLI) that is the best. He says they only advertise on their own website and the staff turnover is extremely low. Apparently unlike Seoul National or Korea Uni, Yonsei has the best ratio of attractive terms and conditions to amount of administrative interference.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for my caustic comments, which were as a result of having a few run ins at Korean universities in the past. They were obviously aimed at the way some of them are run, not the people who teach at them. I work at a uni now, would be happy to reveal conditions but don't want to say where I work, probably like a lot of other posters. So there kind of isn't much point
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

withnail wrote:

My friend thinks that of the "biggies", it is Yonsei (Not FLI) that is the best. He says they only advertise on their own website and the staff turnover is extremely low. Apparently unlike Seoul National or Korea Uni, Yonsei has the best ratio of attractive terms and conditions to amount of administrative interference.

Nice try. I still won't tell. Wink
Hyeon In

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Do you think your university really doesn't know what pay and conditions its competitors are offering? Pretty slapdash if they don't.

I think it might be a case of them not realizing what JOBS other universities are offering for the same work.

For example, I work as a 'full time instructor' (a good job, on a salary scale which all Koreans in all departments with the same job are on (40-80m a year), with full benefits). My job as a full time instructor is on par with other universities.. better than a lot, worse than a few. My job is NOT one that the average foreign university teacher in Korea has though. Most are employed as visiting professors, or hourly instructors or the like with inferior conditions. If my university compares me to other full time employees at other schools, it looks fine. If they compared my job to the average foreigner employed by a university, they'd think they were way overpaying me.
Hyeon In

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

withnail wrote:

I have a friend working there, it seems pretty OK. She has to share an office but the base pay seems much better than average.

I heard somewhere that Ehwa pays more for similar work. I don't actually know anyone who works there though.. I probably read it online. Does anyone know if there's any truth in this?
withnail

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great...your comment: I don't know anyone who works there is a problem this thread was designed to solve.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: