Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANXIETY - looking for advice...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. John's wort is known to occasionally worsen anxiety... http://altmedicine.about.com/od/stjohnswort/a/stjohnswort.htm
Flashcard_Queen

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
Check on your coffee or your Tea drinking. Because in some people caffiene causes very serious anxiety. If nothing else works for you they have anti-anxiety medications like BUSPAR.

I used to drink 3-4 cups a day, then I went down to two, and now I'm only drinking one first thing in the morning, but I still think I should cut it out entirely.

I gave it a go last week, replacing my usual morning cup with non-caffeinated tea. I felt really groggy, but my shakiness seemed to improve a little. I think it's worth trying for a longer period, to see if I start to feel less groggy and shaky over time.

I'm glad again to see the name Buspar come up again. When I decide on a place to go, I'm planning to ask about it.
Flashcard_Queen

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
Have you considered teaching in a different country? Or at least in a quiet rural setting?

Strikes me that Korea is probably the last place you should be if you suffer from stress or anxiety. This country is probably the most intense esl destination in existence. Sometimes it seems perfectly designed to irritate and twinge western sensibilities.

I've considered another country, but I don't think it's right for me. And I'm in a relatively quiet place already, on the edge of Suwon. There's nothing but farmland to one side of my apartment building.

The idea of teaching EFL in another country, like Japan or China, doesn't appeal to me. There are definitely irritating things about living in Korea, but I really do like my job, despite some added stress recently, so that helps.

Last edited by Flashcard_Queen on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
overq64

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are used to caffeine then I wouldn't cut it out altogether - you will have caffeine withdrawal and that could add to your stress.

One moderately strong cup/mug in the morning is unlikely to be causing you problems.

Moving elsewhere would be more stressful at first. The problems you have are unlikely to be linked to Korea or the job. So deal with them as best you can in a stable environment and with your network of support there.

You probably have some idea about what triggers your attacks, but often they can be self perpetuating. If you notice an elevated pulse rate and think - oh no - not an anxiety attack today with all I have to do...and bingo you will have one.
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't something that goes away entirely. Certain people have a propensity towards Anxiety. The trick is to realise and accept that, not to expect it to 'go away'. The cure is in knowing it, recognising it and learning to manage it and not get caught up in it.
Flashcard_Queen

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overq64 wrote:
I think the OP is right to be wary of consulting a doctor about a mental health issue.

Thanks. You're right, I'm very wary about consulting a doctor here, knowing, as I do, that admitting to problems like mine could potentially be a threat to my job and my life here.

It also has a lot to do with how I was raised. Growing up, we never went to the doctor unless it was absolutely necessary. Instead, we opted for home remedies as much as possible.

overq64 wrote:
But - if you have serious anxiety attacks you may need help. Medication as a fire extinguisher in case of emergencies but also some professional cbt type counselling could help a lot. I don't beleive in long term medication like prozac but it is effective for some.

I appreciate the advice people have given me about counselling and learning better life management skills, but I think it's the skills I already have that have kept my anxiety in check for this long, as it's definitely been an issue for a number of years.

I don't like the idea of taking medication, but it's reached a point where, after some serious consideration, I strongly feel it's necessary.

overq64 wrote:
You seem like you have a healthy lifestyle with moderate drinking, low caffeine intake and good exercise/sleep habits. How is your diet? Too much sugar or times in the day when your blood sugar drops suddenly can have a severe impact on the mind.

My diet is pretty good, but I'm sure it could be better. I just feel like I've given up so much already in an effort to lesson my anxiety that, surely, I can keep the English muffin breakfast sandwiches and homemade banana pancakes (with a moderate amount of syrup) I have a couple times a week. Smile

overq64 wrote:
In your shoes I would find a doctor quite far from your home and attempt to get some more of the medication you have used before. If unable to get it in Korea then travel abroad and get a resupply sufficient for as long as possible.

I'm definitely considering the international clinic in Itaewon because it's far from where I live and the couple experiences I had there before were good.

I went home for Christmas and should've seen my doctor/stocked up then, but on top of being a busy time of year, my Medicare has expired, and I don't have health insurance. Plus, coming back, I was due for a medical check and, being wary, well, you know...

overq64 wrote:
In the meantime try the cbt/counselling route suggested above. The two approaches give you an immediate safety net so you can continue day-to-day combined with some kind of long term strategy to reduce the attacks.

Having opened up a dialogue, I feel better already (I wish I'd done it ages ago), so I'm pretty sure counselling would be extremely beneficial for me, in conjunction with medication, which, as I said, I do consider to be necessary at this point.

I've said this a number of times already, but I do appreciate the input I've received from everyone. I haven't posted enough to PM anybody, but I would if I could.

More than anything, though, I'd love for somebody to tell me, 'this is where I went', 'this doctor was helpful', 'this is what was prescribed', but that's probably wishful thinking. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
lithium

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pegasus64128 wrote:
slothrop wrote:
feel free to disregard, but just in case you're looking for an alternative to medication or therapists...
http://www.amazon.com/Buddhism-Plain-Simple-Steve-Hagen/dp/0767903323/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336017975&sr=1-1#_

also, it might be fun to talk to a buddhist monk in korea. you may never want to shave your head and put on the robes, but you may find that alot of the things you are anxious over are not so important after all, while some of the things you are anxious over are very real and important; perhaps some of your anxiousness is not a mental disorder at all but rather a perfectly sane reaction to insane circumstances, where as other people who are not anxious over these things, may in fact have an issue with their perception of reality.

It doesn't even have to be an alternative. It can be supplemental. Many psychiatrists now advocate the use of zen in therapy. 'Zen and the Psychology of Transformation The Supreme Doctrine' by Herbert Benois, is well worth the read. It's an occidental interpretation of zen so it's heavy reading but I found it fascinating.

If religious intervention is what you are seeking, I would recommend the following link as a start to inner peace.

http://www.bible.com/
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: ANXIETY - looking for advice... Reply with quote

Flashcard_Queen wrote:
I have a feeling this is going to turn into a bit of a rant, so please bear with me. I'm going to do my best to give only the information I think is important to help answer my questions and to answer any questions others might have about my situation.

I've read some helpful posts here already; I've found numbers I can call and the names of professionals I could potentially meet with. I apologize if this post seems unnecessary and if the ensuing conversation becomes a bit redundant, but as someone who has limited experience with treatment and prescription medication, I'm confused and would like to hear from people who've been in similar situations.

So, here's a little information about me... I'm 31 years old. I've lived in Korea off and on since the end of 2005; altogether, it's been 3 � years. I guess you could say I've always been slightly neurotic, but it only became a real issue in 2008, just before leaving Korea after my second year.

At that time, I started experiencing what, for me, was an abnormal amount of anxiety and nervousness. I ended up staying in my home country (Canada) for two years; I never anticipated it would be that long, but a few things delayed my return to Korea.

During my stay in Canada, my anxiety and nervousness continued to worsen. Basically, then and now, when my anxiety kicks in, I become extremely jittery/shaky (my hands, especially, seem beyond my control), my palms sweat, my heart pounds, and I definitely experience the fight-or-flight sensation I've read so much about.

Although I've never been formally diagnosed, I would characterize my condition as GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder). There are definitely specific triggers, related to certain social situations, but sometimes my anxiety appears without cause.

I was already hunting for a job in Korea when I finally decided to talk to my doctor in Canada. Knowing that I'd have to do a medical check here, I didn't want to start taking anything that would show up in the results and put my job in jeopardy. I'd heard about Ativan and while my doctor preferred the idea of me taking a daily medication, she agreed to give me a prescription.

When I finally came back to Korea, near the end of 2010, my anxiety and nervousness noticeably lessened, but it returned not long after, and since then I've been experiencing regular bouts. The prescription my doctor gave me was only 10 tablets, so I used them very sparingly, and they lasted for nearly 8 months. I could've used more, but I took them only when I felt it was way beyond my control.

This past week, it's gotten particularly bad, which is why I'm writing now; in hopes that somebody will be able to give me advice. I've never thought of myself as being depressed, but I'm so frustrated lately as a result of my anxiety, that I've certainly felt a bit sad. More than any other time, it's bad in the morning. By the time I get to work and begin teaching, I usually feel much better, but it's still a problem. I worry about it and live in fear of moments when it might appear, out of nowhere.

Despite what you might be thinking, I genuinely enjoy my life here. I plan to stay through the end of my current contract, which finishes at the end of February 2013, and perhaps beyond, but it's becoming increasingly clear that, in order to do so, I'll need to begin taking something.

As far as lifestyle choices, I'm a relatively healthy person. I have a pretty regulated sleep schedule (on average 7-8 hours/night - usually between 10:30/11:30 and 7/7:30). I exercise, now more than ever in effort to curb my anxiety (I've been doing an hour of Pilates in the morning, at least 5 times/week, since the beginning of March). I eat regular (mostly healthy) meals, and my alcohol and caffeine consumption is limited. I also take St. John's Wort sporadically; I've read some conflicting things about it, but it certainly seems to help, if only a little.

I live in Suwon and have been to the international center at Ajou University Hospital before, so I've been thinking about contacting them. I'm also familiar with the international clinic in Itaewon, having been there before for unrelated issues, and have been considering it as an option. I'm also planning to call the 24 hour Medical Referral Service I've read about. But, before doing any of that, I'm hoping people here will be able to help me by telling me stories about their own experiences or the experiences of others they're aware of; places people have gone, doctors they've met with, what they've been prescribed, etc.

If you have any helpful advice or suggestions for me, I'd really appreciate it. I know this is a difficult subject for some people, so feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks!

SSRIs are an incredible help for this condition.

If you want to go the natural route, take 4-800mg of magnesium malate every day.
Flashcard_Queen

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lithium wrote:
pegasus64128 wrote:
slothrop wrote:
feel free to disregard, but just in case you're looking for an alternative to medication or therapists...
http://www.amazon.com/Buddhism-Plain-Simple-Steve-Hagen/dp/0767903323/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336017975&sr=1-1#_

also, it might be fun to talk to a buddhist monk in korea. you may never want to shave your head and put on the robes, but you may find that alot of the things you are anxious over are not so important after all, while some of the things you are anxious over are very real and important; perhaps some of your anxiousness is not a mental disorder at all but rather a perfectly sane reaction to insane circumstances, where as other people who are not anxious over these things, may in fact have an issue with their perception of reality.

It doesn't even have to be an alternative. It can be supplemental. Many psychiatrists now advocate the use of zen in therapy. 'Zen and the Psychology of Transformation The Supreme Doctrine' by Herbert Benois, is well worth the read. It's an occidental interpretation of zen so it's heavy reading but I found it fascinating.

If religious intervention is what you are seeking, I would recommend the following link as a start to inner peace.

http://www.bible.com/

Nope, not quite what I'm looking for, but thanks. Hmmm... Is this more appropriate Smile or this Rolling Eyes ? Clearly haven't been posting on this forum long enough to know....
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
appreciate the advice people have given me about counselling and learning better life management skills, but I think it's the skills I already have that have kept my anxiety in check for this long, as it's definitely been an issue for a number of years.

Respectfully,

The methods we use naturally and which are intuitive to us MAY work in a sense that they kee us working and living, but are rarely useful and rather keep the syndrome alive and flourishing. You see, anxiety and the ways we naturally react to it, literally moulds our brain circuitry, thus we forge very strong neural pathways and we thus cement those pathways by reacting the same way.

What we need to learn is how not to react to anxieties, to simply feel it but not check it with checking thoughts, countering thoughts, actions, suppressions, associations etc.

Wouldn't you prefer to not need medications?

Anyhow, you've been given options here - councelling / meds / religion / buddhism. I guess you gotta pick which sounds best.

As for your 'I really want to hear someone say 'Go to this place and do this...'

Well, I'll refer you back to my initial suggestion. Worked for me, somewhat. Meds did too, until I stopped taking them. That's the problem with them.

You want just meds - Dr Jinseng Park, whom is a psychiatrist located at Seolleong station will hook you up and is confidential and speaks good English. Google him.

Also, some people just use the meds on an 'as needed' basis. Not taking a daily dose of xanax or buspar, but only as and when major symptoms occur and get out of controll - ie before a big test, before a flight, before a streesful work /social event etc.

Coping skills though do not dissapear though, they're there for life. Also the councellors at the company I mentioned will work with you on meds too, help you adjust etc. I'd imagine the fees are what put most people off, which personally I have always found an absurd notion. 'Uh I have a broken leg, but I only want to pay for a sticking plaster, not a cast.

Anyway sounds like you needed options and have been given some. I still say under the guidence of a proffessioal is the best way to go be it a shrink for the meds or a councellor for theraputic applications.

Good luck.
Hyeon In

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the guidance of a professional is obviously the best way..

But if you just want some Xanax or something, hit up the 'international doctor' in Haebangchon. If you walk straight down the street, she's at the end of the road just before it takes a sharp left up the hill. Tell her you're usually prescribed Xanax back home and she'll give you Xanax.. she'll probably give you anything commonly available in Korea if you ask.

The pharmacy on the ground floor will fill the prescription.

Sultan's idea of getting help etc. is probably better.. but if you think you know what you need and you want to save cash, it's an idea. It worked for me. I got some Xanax for a coupla months then quit. It's been more than 3 years now and I've not had an anxiety attack again.
Zulethe

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, as one who considers himself a professional in the field I will agree with what most other poster have said about cognitive behavioral therapy. It is by far the most researched form of modality and has been shown repeatedly, study after study to be just as efficacious as medication.

Psych meds, specifically SSRIs have only been around on a large scale for about 25 years. There are some alarming studies coming out about the deleterious effects these can have.

Specifically, when you take these drugs, your brain's ability to continue to manufacture its own sarotonin decreases dramatically and some long time users have a horrible time getting off of them due to withdrawal . Especially those such as Pazxil which has a short half-life. Be that as it may if you do decide to go on meds, please ensure that you ask the prescribing doctor about the half life or due research on your own. A drug such as prozac has a long half life so that the withdrawal symptoms are much more gradual.

However, as one with a masters in psychology and soon to graduate with an MSW and a lot of clinical experience I will say that some people absolutely need medication.

My recommendation to you would be to order the book "Feeling Good" by David Burns. It's one of the best CBT books out there and it's very cheap.

It's not one of those books that you should read from begining to end. Read the contents section, and focus on points that you are most interested in first. Choose the exercises in the book that you feel will be the most beneficial.

I use this book on a daily basis in my internship with my clients as well as on myself.

Good luck to you and remember that anxiety is highly treatable.

Z
sojusucks

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
Have you considered teaching in a different country? Or at least in a quiet rural setting?

Strikes me that Korea is probably the last place you should be if you suffer from stress or anxiety. This country is probably the most intense esl destination in existence. Sometimes it seems perfectly designed to irritate and twinge western sensibilities.

Very true.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
St. John's wort is known to occasionally worsen anxiety... http://altmedicine.about.com/od/stjohnswort/a/stjohnswort.htm

I've heard the same about ginseng.
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sojusucks wrote:
Rteacher wrote:

I've heard the same about ginseng.

St John's Wart is not used for anxiety. More for depression and fatigue.

Same with SSRI's; Benzos are the first go to, SSRI's are prescribed in more extreme cases and OCD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: