Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANXIETY - looking for advice...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drkalbi

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/anxiety.html

Personally, I've had good success with organic Apple Cider Vinegar with mother and 5 HTP. I order mine through iherb.com.
Flashcard_Queen

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sultan of Seoul wrote:
sojusucks wrote:
Rteacher wrote:
St. John's wort is known to occasionally worsen anxiety... http://altmedicine.about.com/od/stjohnswort/a/stjohnswort.htm

I've heard the same about ginseng.

St John's Wart is not used for anxiety. More for depression and fatigue.

Same with SSRI's; Benzos are the first go to, SSRI's are prescribed in more extreme cases and OCD.

Like I said in my original post, I've read conflicting things about St John's Wort. I have two bottles at the moment. One says, "traditionally used to relieve restlessness and sleep disorder symtoms", while the other says, "for the relief of nervouness".

It's the mention of restlessness and nervousness that interested me. Whether it's just a placebo effect or not, it seems to calm me a bit, but only a bit. You never know... maybe it has been making my overall symptoms worse...

What I read here - http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_medication_drugs_treatment.htm - is that Busprione (a medication I'm particularly interested in) acts like an SSRI and "relieves anxiety by increasing serotonin in the brain as the SSRIs do and decreasing dopamine."

I was wrong earlier when I mentioned that Buspar is said to relieve a number of my more irritating symptoms. In that article, it's actually the Beta blocker medications (like Inderal and Tenormin) that are supposed to do that.
Flashcard_Queen

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sultan of Seoul wrote:
Quote:
appreciate the advice people have given me about counselling and learning better life management skills, but I think it's the skills I already have that have kept my anxiety in check for this long, as it's definitely been an issue for a number of years.

Respectfully,

The methods we use naturally and which are intuitive to us MAY work in a sense that they kee us working and living, but are rarely useful and rather keep the syndrome alive and flourishing. You see, anxiety and the ways we naturally react to it, literally moulds our brain circuitry, thus we forge very strong neural pathways and we thus cement those pathways by reacting the same way.

What we need to learn is how not to react to anxieties, to simply feel it but not check it with checking thoughts, countering thoughts, actions, suppressions, associations etc.

Wouldn't you prefer to not need medications?

Anyhow, you've been given options here - councelling / meds / religion / buddhism. I guess you gotta pick which sounds best.

As for your 'I really want to hear someone say 'Go to this place and do this...'

Well, I'll refer you back to my initial suggestion. Worked for me, somewhat. Meds did too, until I stopped taking them. That's the problem with them.

You want just meds - Dr Jinseng Park, whom is a psychiatrist located at Seolleong station will hook you up and is confidential and speaks good English. Google him.

Also, some people just use the meds on an 'as needed' basis. Not taking a daily dose of xanax or buspar, but only as and when major symptoms occur and get out of controll - ie before a big test, before a flight, before a streesful work /social event etc.

Coping skills though do not dissapear though, they're there for life. Also the councellors at the company I mentioned will work with you on meds too, help you adjust etc. I'd imagine the fees are what put most people off, which personally I have always found an absurd notion. 'Uh I have a broken leg, but I only want to pay for a sticking plaster, not a cast.

Anyway sounds like you needed options and have been given some. I still say under the guidence of a proffessioal is the best way to go be it a shrink for the meds or a councellor for theraputic applications.

Good luck.

You're right; I have been given a lot of good information.

I apologize if I came across as dismissive earlier about cbt and learning new skills that could help me. Obviously whatever skills I already have in place are lacking, really lacking.

You're also right that I would rather not have to use meds at all, in the long run anyway. I know I need something at the moment, because it's become pretty severe, but I'd like to avoid meds that are said to be difficult to come off of in the future.

Also, in conjunction with meds, I do think counselling and/or someone/something that can help with cbt are key. Money isn't a huge concern - I agree that my mental health is more important - but if I can avoid getting into the 200,000 to 400,000 won/month range, that would be great. I think I'll start by doing my own reading first and see where it gets me. Again, recommendations have been made about literature on the topic that I can look into.

Now that I've heard what others have say, it's down to me to decide on a place to go, and to hear what a professional Psychiatrist has to say.

I'll certainly keep you posted.
mariposaaqui_lit

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Give Harpeau a call Reply with quote

There is a sticky on this issue that may point you in a positive direction. Look up near the top of the 'General Discussion' page for the post started by Harpeau.

I will be praying for you. Smile

Kind regards,

mariposaaqui_lit
Chalmers

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benzos
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious did Korea make it better or worse you think?

There are so many people with anxiety disorders in the West, but when you look at that environment, I mean what do they expect. People in Seoul are quite peaceful and centered.

Eat kimchi, bibimbop, barley tea. Never drink coffee. Don't drink alcohol except rarely. Work out a few times a week. Meditate once a day. Have friends.

If you do that for a year and it still sucks maybe you are just an anxious person by nature!
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Curious did Korea make it better or worse you think?

There are so many people with anxiety disorders in the West, but when you look at that environment, I mean what do they expect. People in Seoul are quite peaceful and centered.

Interesting take.

I wonder why then that they have the highest suicide rate of the industrialized world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_South_Korea
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why people are obsessed with statistics when you can just look around you and see the truth.
Gregski

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People in Seoul are quite peaceful and centered.

You're kidding, right? Coming to Korea and commenting on how peaceful and centered people are is like going to America and commenting about how thin everyone looks.
northway

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
I wonder why people are obsessed with statistics when you can just look around you and see the truth.

Never been to Korea, eh?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregski wrote:
You're kidding, right?

No, not kidding. Of course my country of birth is the USA and things are relative.

Koreans and healthier than Americans, so perhaps doing what works is something for people to try. Particularly in regards to avoiding obesity and mental illness which is so common in the USA.
slothrop

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Tue May 08, 2012 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
comm

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Koreans and healthier than Americans, so perhaps doing what works is something for people to try. Particularly in regards to avoiding obesity and mental illness which is so common in the USA.

I like that you're opinionated, but you're also clearly very new. Saying that mental illness is rare in Korea is like saying there is no homosexuality in Iran. I'll just leave this here.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That's really dark, and funny, and dark.

Yeah economists count people who are able and looking for work. So people are don't care about working, or who are "legally zonked out" and labeled incapable, wouldn't be counted.

Korea is great. People here have clear eyes and you can see consciousness and awareness on their faces. Like natural healthy people who ate the veggies their whole life and never did piles of drugs. In the US city I lived walking outside your condo entered you into a twisted world of insane unpredictable dangerous bizarre maniacs; clucking like chickens on street corners, banging their heads against brick buildings, or some other random odd thing. You can look into the eyes of these people and see the insanity deep inside.

Aside from Itaewon you never really see that in Seoul.
slothrop

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Tue May 08, 2012 5:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: