Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone teaching English 1, 2 or 3 for Middle school?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tausha12

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Anyone teaching English 1, 2 or 3 for Middle school? Reply with quote

I'm just starting my first full week of teaching so I made out my lesson plans for English 1, 2 and 3 and then English 2,3 activity book.

Now three days of classes were cancelled for school tests. I'm not supposed to skip units so I'll get to have funky lesson plans so I can keep each student on the right unit.

Do any of you have any advice how to teach those books? Bascially I'm using the books and the CD cause that is what most of the Korean teachers want me to do. It just seems boring to the students and undermines my teaching. Shouldn't the students be repeating words or sentences after me? Shouldn't I be coming up with class activities?

I'd love any advice.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching out of the book is difficult. I think the main reason some schools make the NET teach out of the book is because it cuts down on the noise and misbehavior in classes with NETs.

Anyways I like making the students stand up and speak those ridiculous dialogues. If you do have the time to make ppt to go along with the book/CD go ahead, but that takes a lot of time.
YTMND

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shouldn't the students be repeating words or sentences after me?

Quote:
Do any of you have any advice how to teach those books?

First, can you do this every class? I tried and my throat went out by the fourth day. The school should have recordings they can play to listen to and repeat vocabulary.

What I do is a mix of reading and writing. Usually, I put up one word or phrase for the day that is new to them. This can be on the board or projector screen if you have access to one.

I repeat this several times through class, initially having students talk about it 3 or 4 times. Then, we work on sentence patterns. If the students are higher level, then show them how to make a list or word map. They can make conversation based on individual words.

Another thing you can do is divide the class up into groups, about 5 or 6 per group. Then you go around while they are making a list and go over any sentence patterns pertaining to the lesson.

After that, pair up the groups. The best group works with the worst group, then 2nd best works with the 2nd worst, and so on. They don't need to get out of their seats, just have 1 person from both groups stand up. Explain to them a conversation is 2 people: 1 person talking, 1 person listening. Usually, they will have the best student in the best group start it off. However, that person won't stand up until you get a student in the worst group to stand up.

Sometimes, you get lucky and a student will stand up not knowing what is going on. Then, the best student will stand up and once you settle the class down if needed you can do drills. The students should then know a routine is happening and know the remaining groups need to participate.

Another thing I do for inactive classes is I will write a simple math problem on the board, " 2 + 4 = ", the smart students know to say nothing. Some student will blurt out the answer knowing it is correct and you ask them to write it on the board. While they are walking up to the board, erase the problem, now you have a volunteer Wink and the class is in hysterics. You could also make it a little more challenging and put up numbers in some order, "2 - 4 - 8 - - 32".

I bring a deck of cards with me to class and take out the 1-6's (1 being ace). Shuffle them up and pick 1, go across the class right or left, then pick another card, and go down that column like a grid. That student stands up and you start a conversation based on the lesson you are teaching. Then, you have them pick a student. After a few times, have them pick students further away than just next to them (3 or 4 seats from where they are sitting). This means they have to be quiet in order to hear the speaker.

The main idea of all these suggestions is not to teach the class like they are an army of students. If you do, you will not succeed. Again, we are there to teach speaking as best we can. 1 person is the speaker and at least 1 person is the listener. Use lists to get around writing sentences.

When you encounter an important word, make a sentence with blanks that they can add their own words. It's very difficult for them to form sentences.

One pitfall to avoid is only reading and repeating, because students won't learn when to use what they are repeating. For example, "Nice to meet you". I get students saying that all the time to me and I am in my 13th month with some.
lowpo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I follow the middle school book. There are some of the steps that I use in the
class room. I hope this can help you!
Listen and Speak:
1. The students will pair up and do the short dialogues that are in the book.
2. Then I have the students re-write their own dialogues.
Conversation:
1. I have the students do the conversation part in the book.
2. I will ask them questions about the dialogue.
3. I will have the students re-write the conversation that will fit their every day lives and then they will do it again in class.
Stories:
1. The students will read the stories with the Korean teacher in her class.
2. I will have them come up with 3 to 5 questions f개m each story.
3. Then after correcting their questions. They will come up to the front of the class and start asking the other students questions. The students have to answer the questions in complete sentences.
4, Then they have to write a diary from one or two of the stories from the chapter.
For example: Fashionable School Uniforms.
I will have the students design their own school uniforms. They have a week to finish their diary. After I correct their diary. They have to give a speech about what they wrote.
Vocabulary:
1. We will have a class spelling bee.
2. Then I give each student 1 to 3 words. Then they have to make sentences with the words. Sometimes they will have to use two or three
words to make one sentence.
warmachinenkorea

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://waygook.org/index.php?board=23.0

Go here there are lessons based on most books used in Korea. I teach at 2 different MS and have 2 different sets of text books. I find the lessons here helpful and they also give me ideas for other lessons.
tausha12

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone.
jamasian

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make up linking games to go along with the book. I do have them repeat vocab after me each class. I believe with the repetition they will understand and be able to pronounce things better by the end of the term. I use the PPT games from waygook.org, but I find a lot of the lessons don't appeal to me. You can make your own PPTs or you can just do a lot of activities in the class. I try to use PPTs to enhance grammar rather than be about the whole lesson. It starts to bore me and the kids...then again I'm like a big kid anyway so I need to play games and switch up writing activities.

We do have little contests and "plays" every now and then. So to agree with you; Yes, these books suck and are much too boring to get into everyday use. To encourage you: I would say play a lot of games that deal with the lesson in different fashions and make your own activity sheets or find a good video that pertains to the lessons. (busyteacher.org has impressed me way more than waygook. It can save you time when making activity sheets.)

Have fun and welcome~~!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: