Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wynstan Kang

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falco

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Wynstan Kang Reply with quote

Anybody heard any news about this turkey lately? Still owes me some money from an aborted ticket from last year. Several stories have surfaced since the Zenith travel flight ticket debacle from last year. Apparently he'd been arrested but then freed on bail and fled the country. Another story was that he has set up a new travel shop somewhere in Seoul.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a story about him in the Korean Times (I think) last week. Apparently he was out on bail, set up a new business in Seocho under a fake name (which is legal in Korea apparently) and swindled more foreigners. Again, the police did nothing at first but finally stopped him after some pressure. Even though he needed to put up 60 million to start up that second business he claims he has no money to repay his victims and the courts don't seem to be in a hurry to do anything about it.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me glad that I book all of my tickets online.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little on the side of the discussion, there is a good place that sells tickets at the international terminal of Gimpo Airport, If I remember correctly they are on the second floor. Just go up to any Airline check in terminal and they will point to where it is at. Costwise I don't know much other than they seemed reasonable and they didn't rip me off.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the latest word on the man.

http://thethreewisemonkeys.com/2012/06/03/korean-court-to-sentence-man-who-scammed-travelers-out-of-thousands/
falco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I booked a ticket to China with him last year and the day before I was due to fly out, I got a text from him saying the flight had been cancelled. Ended up having to get a ticket online for about 3 times the price to get there on time.

Interesting to read (in the 3 Wise Monkeys article) that he only stole from those who he thought were leaving Korea and not coming back. When I bought my ticket to China from him, the return ticket was from Beijing to Australia, where I was going to visit my sister. I never mentioned to him I was coming back to Korea coz I thought it would be cheaper to just buy a ticket back while I was there.

When I got a Korean friend to phone him after I got back about the matter, she said he sounded genuinely shocked and pleaded for us not to sue him. I thought this was a bit odd at the time. I thought, 'what the hell did he expect?'.

Anyway he ended up paying me back 1 million of the the 1.5 I originally paid him. I expect I'll never see the remaining W500,000.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynstan is yet to be locked up good. Like any other country a fraudster they would.
slothrop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling he might be released when a general amnesty happens, then he'll go right back to his crooked ways.

Welcome to Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: