Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the international school positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eedoryeong

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Where are the international school positions Reply with quote

I just saw a listing for an international school but it turned out it was just a normal hakwon franchise. I think when people on this board talk about int.l schools they are talking about something else, then?
Canadian Club

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, international schools are different. If you're a certified teacher from a western country, look on TES, join Search Associates, or apply directly from the school's website with your cover letter, CV, philosophy of education, and photo.

You'd be teaching the same things that you would be teaching if you lived in your home country, except for some minor curricular differences depending on the school. You'd also get more pay, more benefits, and more vacation than your typical hagwon.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a buddy working at an international school. He thought he was the cat's meow, going on about being a real teacher, being a professional, and such. He was making the big coin at 2.4 million and working his @$$ off. At the time, I was making the low 2.3 million and doing a third of his work as a scummy ESL teacher. So, except for a few, most here pay peanuts and aren't worth it. You're better off doing ESL.

Now, I think he's back home struggling to find work. He can only find these isolated places in rural Alberta after months of struggling. Keeps quitting every year hoping for that big payoff in Toronto. Alas, he keeps ending up in some other rural place. Harps on me wasting time in ESL. But, I guess he has his dignity and no life as a "teacher". Doesn't seem worth it to me. Maybe I really am crazy to think that way.
crosbystillsstash

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.4 means it was not a real international school.

The salary and benefits at a real international school are great. The workload is heavy too.
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
Had a buddy working at an international school. He thought he was the cat's meow, going on about being a real teacher, being a professional, and such. He was making the big coin at 2.4 million and working his @$$ off. At the time, I was making the low 2.3 million and doing a third of his work as a scummy ESL teacher. So, except for a few, most here pay peanuts and aren't worth it. You're better off doing ESL.

Now, I think he's back home struggling to find work. He can only find these isolated places in rural Alberta after months of struggling. Keeps quitting every year hoping for that big payoff in Toronto. Alas, he keeps ending up in some other rural place. Harps on me wasting time in ESL. But, I guess he has his dignity and no life as a "teacher". Doesn't seem worth it to me. Maybe I really am crazy to think that way.

I thought international schools pay a tonne?

I always heard people in ESL getting paid like 30,000 baht per month and international school teachers getting triple that. Plus they can work in more places, like Singapore, etc, for really high pay.
Nick Adams

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open an account on TIE Online anytime:
http://www.tieonline.com/

In the fall register with one or more of the big recruiters for the upcoming winter job fairs:

International School Services:
https://www.iss.edu/education-careers/careers-for-educators

Search Associates:
http://www.searchassociates.com/

Council of International Schools (more IB/European/British/Australian):
http://www.cois.org

Jobs for the following school year (August-June usually) start showing up fall of the previous year, with November-January being the peak time for openings.

International schools pay anywhere from 18,000 to 100,000+ USD/year, with most schools in the 30,000-60,000 range, depending on degrees and years of teaching experience. Benefits are good, with housing, annual flight, health care, professional development funding, and more - but expectations/work load is high to extrememly high, especially PD and extracurricular student contact time. You must have teacher certification (not ESL or TEFL certification) and, usually, some full-time teaching experience. A masters degree and/or a spouse who is also a certified teacher helps.

Most of the many "international schools" in Korea are not real international schools. There are five or six real international schools, and a handful of new ones on the way.

It's a career, not a job.
therockery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding:

http://www.ibo.org (look to the right for the schools). Do not apply to IBO.
http://www.tes.co.uk/jobs/ pick a country or region.

REAL international schools do not advertise on EFL/ESL boards.
They do require real teaching credentials and experience.

The remuneration packages (including benefits) are usually MUCH better than EFL teachers make.
Average schools pay US$40-60k + benefits.
TOP schools pay upwards of US$100k + benefits.

Benefits often include:
Family housing or housing allowances.
Airfare (often for the family and often annually).
Relocation assistance (shipping of household goods).
Family transportation.
Tuition for the kids.
Generous holidays.
Decent pension package.
Medical insurance.
etc.

Canadian Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, don't forget the benefits! My last contract (in another country) included an SUV and driver 24/7 in addition to the usual insurance money, relocation, airfare (plus another flight in the summer), spacious living area, and utilities/internet.

Most International schools run 180-185 contact day per year.
OneWayTraffic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the super bump.

I was wondering about the salary package. Some of those schools advertise a 1:10 Staff:Student ratio, and if that is the case then the total amount of money coming in is roughly $200,000 per teacher per year?

After money goes out for operational expenses and so on, how much can be left for the teachers?

$50,000 plus benefits I can see, but more than that I'm not sure where the money is coming from.

I'm currently qualified, working in NZ and may at some stage look to do another stint in Asia/Korea working non ESL. I'm Maths/Physics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: