Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graffiti in Itaewon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Graffiti in Itaewon Reply with quote

The first 2 years I frequented Itaewon as a new expat. I don't make it to there very often anymore (maybe 4-5 times a year) but tonight was the first time I've noticed nearly every shop front is covered in tag. I remember seeing hardly any graffiti a few years ago. Anyone else notice this?
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need one to get the ball rolling. A few years back, someone started tagging road signs and vending machines on our campus. Luckily, nobody tried to outdo him, so he quickly lost interest.
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one of the guys who does this. He's a pretty gifted performer on stage, but I'm sad to say he has no skill at all with a can. For him it's not about art though, it's 100% ego.
warmachinenkorea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoulsucker wrote:
I know one of the guys who does this. He's a pretty gifted performer on stage, but I'm sad to say he has no skill at all with a can. For him it's not about art though, it's 100% ego.

Graffiti can be awesome. The stuff in Itaewon is an eye sore.
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warmachinenkorea wrote:
seoulsucker wrote:

Graffiti can be awesome. The stuff in Itaewon is an eye sore.

Yup, and the guys doing the "klepto" and "dbstk" tags don't seem to be spending any time or effort improving their skills.

For those of you who haven't noticed these, you won't be able to look at Itaewon the same again. A few of these jokers think it's some kind of "raging against the machine" of Itaewon development. They want to keep it "hood" and "gutter."
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graffiti on anything but your own personal property is an abomination and an utterly juvenile and selfish act.

If you think its okay for you or someone else to graffiti my store or a public place, then it should be okay for someone to spray "Mitt Romney for President" on your store front.
warmachinenkorea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Graffiti on anything but your own personal property is an abomination and an utterly juvenile and selfish act.

If you think its okay for you or someone else to graffiti my store or a public place, then it should be okay for someone to spray "Mitt Romney for President" on your store front.

Where did anyone say it was OK? Soem grafitti is done by permission. I have a friend who did stuff by permission and he's pretty skilled. Some of his stuff is here in Korea.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graffiti is always an eye sore. Who wants graffiti on thier property? It totally destroys any elegance or dignity in the property of an area.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
Graffiti is always an eye sore. Who wants graffiti on thier property? It totally destroys any elegance or dignity in the property of an area.

It's a genuine art movement. Unfortunately, not all artists are talented.

With that said, I'm not a fan of tagging. In most cases, it's less about artistry than ego.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some graffiti is art, and if done on someone's property with permission, is perfectly fine.

I just object to the mentality that people think its okay to spray paint property that doesn't belong to them without permission. Then, they turn around and scream "police brutality MAN" if they get thrown in jail for it. And to top it off, if someone came around and sprayed something on something they owned, especially if it was a political message they disagreed with, they would blow their lid.

Apparently it's okay for them to do it to other people but it's not okay for other people to do it to them.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is this graffiti, exactly? I live in Itaewon, and visit the central area almost daily, yet I don't recall ever seeing any graffiti there. I became a fan of graffiti after watching the film Exit Through the Gift Shop, though I've always somewhat appreciated it after my years living in California and knowing a few characters there. Exit Through the Gift Shop is a great film, download it. I think graffiti is a wonderful extract from the normal daily grind, generally. Tag it all up, display any message you want, whether popular or not. It can always be taken down in an hour, but they're going to do it no matter what, so I say keep building on it.

From the other side, it is a loose form (is there any other kind?) of "art", so there are a lot of people who fail and screw it up. I'd love to see some of the best graffiti artists out there tag everything up, especially here in Korea. Add a little color to these decrepit buildings, display some messages or ideas, even if they're not popular through tagging it, and liven people up a bit, or make them more aware of the BS they put themselves through living in a fairly repressive society. I see a bunch of sad guys in suits daily, looking drained on the subway, working in boring office buildings, and rotating through the machine. More color, more open messages, that's my stance, enhance upon it, I say.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Where is this graffiti, exactly? I live in Itaewon, and visit the central area almost daily, yet I don't recall ever seeing any graffiti there. I became a fan of graffiti after watching the film Exit Through the Gift Shop, though I've always somewhat appreciated it after my years living in California and knowing a few characters there. Exit Through the Gift Shop is a great film, download it. I think graffiti is a wonderful extract from the normal daily grind, generally. Tag it all up, display any message you want, whether popular or not. It can always be taken down in an hour, but they're going to do it no matter what, so I say keep building on it.

From the other side, it is a loose form (is there any other kind?) of "art", so there are a lot of people who fail and screw it up. I'd love to see some of the best graffiti artists out there tag everything up, especially here in Korea. Add a little color to these decrepit buildings, display some messages or ideas, even if they're not popular through tagging it, and liven people up a bit, or make them more aware of the BS they put themselves through living in a fairly repressive society. I see a bunch of sad guys in suits daily, looking drained on the subway, working in boring office buildings, and rotating through the machine. More color, more open messages, that's my stance, enhance upon it, I say.

You can see it early in the morning when the shops are closed and the metal gates are down. It's everywhere and it looks nasty. If you invest your life savings in a business or home you will learn to hate it with a passion. If that's what you call "art" then you've never had your business or home or neighborhood ravaged by it. It does bring down entire neighborhoods and is a sign of gang activity.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Agreed. I'd happily make a citizen's arrest of any scumbag back home who I caught tagging public property.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

You know you're getting old when you start talking like this guy Laughing

Anyways, most tagging I see is crap and is basically a way for someone to boost their ego.

However, I've seen some illegal graffiti which was absolutely art.

This is especially the case in some European cities like Paris or Amsterdam where talented graffiti artists have made the sides of railway tracks look like beautiful galleries.

Some of Banksy's and other illegal street artists worl is marvelous and I support them 100%

Basiically I despise the hit and run taggers and graffitit artists with limited skills.

But there are some masterpieces out there and I think it's great that some young kids are expressing themselves through art and adding some flavor to a mundane city landscape.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
More color, more open messages, that's my stance, enhance upon it, I say.

We have a suspect me thinks. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: