Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Galaxy S3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick70100

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
Is it really not possible to have 3G on an S2? I would quite happily settle for that, but apparently, S2 is LTE only and the data is more expensive.

This is incorrect. There are three versions of the S2 in Korea.

Galaxy S2
Galaxy S2 LTE
Galaxy S2 HD LTE

The original Galaxy S2 is 3G only, the other two are obviously LTE. Not sure what happened at the shop you went to. Maybe that shop doesn't stock the S2 anymore, or perhaps they're pushing the LTE models for other reasons. But the 3G Galaxy S2 definitely does exist.

For pricing comparison, here's the galaxy S2 (3G)

http://www.tworldshop.co.kr/handler/ChildProduct-Start?PageNo=3&ProductId=SSN7&ProductType=01&ChildId=102656&hpyDCCD=&ProductGb=01&SelectGbn=type1&VendorId=000002014&sSortGbn=n1&sEntryGbn=&sCompanyCode=&sEntryCd=&sFuncCode=&sFuncGubun=&sPhoneOs=&sPhoneTypeCode=&sDisplayArea5=&sDeviceType=&strMenuDepth01=01&strMenuDepth02=01&strMenuDepth03=01&strMenuDepth04=00&ListImg=%2FSS%2FSSN7%2Fdefault%2FSSN7_List.jpg&eqpMthdCd=&searchText=&productId%5B0%5D=CGWN&productId%5B1%5D=CGWK&productId%5B2%5D=CGWM&productId%5B3%5D=CGWJ&productId%5B4%5D=SSPS&productId%5B5%5D=LGBP&productId%5B6%5D=SSPY&productId%5B7%5D=SSPH&productId%5B8%5D=LGBT&productId%5B9%5D=SSN7

and here's the Galaxy S3 (3G)

http://www.tworldshop.co.kr/handler/ChildProduct-Start?PageNo=1&ProductId=SSBI&ProductType=01&ChildId=107247&hpyDCCD=&ProductGb=01&SelectGbn=type1&VendorId=000002014&sSortGbn=n1&sEntryGbn=&sCompanyCode=&sEntryCd=&sFuncCode=&sFuncGubun=&sPhoneOs=&sPhoneTypeCode=&sDisplayArea5=&sDeviceType=&strMenuDepth01=01&strMenuDepth02=01&strMenuDepth03=01&strMenuDepth04=00&ListImg=/SS/SSBI/default/SSBI_List.jpg&eqpMthdCd=&searchText=&productId[0]=SSBI&productId[1]=SSA1&productId[2]=SSQW&productId[3]=LGG6&productId[4]=PTXJ&productId[5]=LGBX&productId[6]=LGBY&productId[7]=LGG4&productId[8]=SSQA&productId[9]=SSQC
happiness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got me a pebble blue s3. got opera running in it, and its a great phone, fast enough for me....
chuckster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phatrick wrote:
No it is not. If it is a SKT phone there are directions on XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28230420#post28230420).

I rooted my S3 LTE following the instructions here and everything seems to be working fine. However, be warned that if you use things like T-money and Internet banking, they become disabled when you root your phone.

Happy rooting!
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckster wrote:
phatrick wrote:
No it is not. If it is a SKT phone there are directions on XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28230420#post28230420).

I rooted my S3 LTE following the instructions here and everything seems to be working fine. However, be warned that if you use things like T-money and Internet banking, they become disabled when you root your phone.

Happy rooting!

I bought the LTE version and rooted it immediately following the instructions above. You can still use banking apps by temporarily unrooting. In the Super Su app just check or uncheck the box labelled "enable superuser".
cj1976

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what CMF call is? It is in the phone menu (where you dial numbers). I googled it but couldn't find anything conclusive in English.
Slaps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go and get an LTE S3 on Monday but I don't know whether to stick with KT and upgrade or switch to another provider. What networks are you on for LTE? Also, is there much difference in the LTE providers?
john110375

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Galaxy S 3 LTE last week. It's really nice. I stayed with SKT because there was no benefit to changing Wink I went from the iPhone 4S so I am a little disappointed with the camera quality but it's a nice phone.
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john110375 wrote:
I got my Galaxy S 3 LTE last week. It's really nice. I stayed with SKT because there was no benefit to changing Wink I went from the iPhone 4S so I am a little disappointed with the camera quality but it's a nice phone.

I don't know what the 4S cam is like, but this is a good comparison between the SG3 and 4S. Not much in it, apparently.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1771006
john110375

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm maybe my camera is faulty ? Isn't clear like my 4S was. Maybe I'll have it changed at the AS center. Smile
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed an app called Camera Zoom Fx. It is a fantastic alternative to the stock camera. Lots of fx and fine tuning options.
john110375

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really ? Thanks I'll try that Smile
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the choongo S2s will go down in price now the S3 is widely available.
cj1976

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the S3 LTE model (via SKT) for a couple of weeks now. My thoughts:

Pros:
Nice screen. For me, the perfect size for a phone. A happy medium between the tiny iphone and the huge Galaxy Note. Also, amazing resolution with nice, vibrant colour.
Power. Everything opens instantly, and web pages load quickly even on wi-fi. It handles multi-tasking effortlessly too. You can play a graphic intensive game and pause it to switch to other apps without any lag at all.
The stock media player is pretty good, with enough options to keep all but the most obsessive tweaker happy.
The Touchwiz Ui is pretty slick, if a little lacking in customisation options.
Camera. Like any phone-cam, you aren't going to be able to take professional quality pics, but both rear and front-cams have enough resolution to take fairly good snaps good enough for Facebook. There are also a wealth of 3rd party apps to add effects.
Phone calls. No problems in quality. Loud and clear.

Cons.
The screen is pretty tough to see in daylight - even with the brightness cranked to 11.
Battery. Depends on your usage and the apps installed. The first thing I did was root it and remove the pre-installed bloatware that runs in the background and consumes resources. Also, disabling auto-sync helps. The screen is quite big so it takes a lot of power too.
The price. I pay 88,00 per month for 24 months (ouch).
Apps. One of the problems with Android is that not all apps are guaranteed to work with your phone, unlike the Iphone.
chuckster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who do mods, the Prestige Blue mod is now out, but it's only for SK version of the Galaxy S3 (3G or LTE). They specifically say do not use with the KT version.

http://bluepremium.tistory.com/88

If you know how to mod your ROM with Odin, then it's easy as pie.
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckster wrote:
For those of you who do mods, the Prestige Blue mod is now out, but it's only for SK version of the Galaxy S3 (3G or LTE). They specifically say do not use with the KT version.

http://bluepremium.tistory.com/88

If you know how to mod your ROM with Odin, then it's easy as pie.

I'm too lazy to google this and trawl through tech forums, so can you say what is the benefit of doing this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: