Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers that have moved back to America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evanzinho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchipig wrote:
let's face it, you are not going to get rich teaching Englishie in Korea, no matter what youngsters post here.

Reality check-most of us will not get rich no matter what we do, whether it's teaching English in Korea, working in an office in our home countries, or running our own businesses. So you might as well enjoy your job, whatever it is.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
The inflation rate last year was 1.7% per BLS, and the 10yr average is 2.4%. The forward looking rate implied by the market (spread on TIPS vs govies) is 2.6% for the next 10-30yrs.

Are you honestly trying to argue U.S. inflation is worse (or will be worse) than inflation in Korea?_? I highly doubt that.
Quote:
Historically, from 1966 until 2012, South Korea Inflation Rate averaged 8.09 percent.
nate1983

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:

Have you ever been to NY, San Francisco, LA? Obviously not. You can get a variety of great food from many nations. I have been to Europe. Try getting decent Thai, Cuban, Salvadorean, Vietnamese food on the continent. Not gonna happen. You are just a naive American basher with no idea what you are talking about. Just because you envison that Mcdonalds is the only food in the US doesnt make it true.

I've spent most of the past 2.5 years in NYC and San Francisco. I've been to around 25 countries and as much as the Europeans like to think they are the "cultured" ones, you can't beat major American cities for cultural and gastronomic diversity.

As someone else mentioned, Europeans enjoy seeing themselves as liberal and accepting, but only if you subscribe to their views. Hooligans show their true colors at the football matches. Obviously not all people are like this and I have some awesome European friends - but in terms of mindset, that's definitely a feeling you get. I think Europeans view the US in a similar way that many Koreans view Japan.
joelove

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Why is it that people who go back to their own countries have to snipe at those who remain here with comments like the ones above and people who like it here have to do the same thing with jibes about overweight women and working in a cubicle etc...can't you be satisfied with your own lives without trying to get one over on others? Is this one-upmanship really the key to happiness?

A fair question. Seems like many people are often just comparing whatever they've got going on to whatever they imagine others have going on. Doesn't seem like a happy way to go. Seems more like being petty and envious.

Don't much like the "real job" comments either, but this is common enough too, and is pretty much the same thing, with the comparing, the pettiness, the envy, and whatever else people are doing. I guess we all do it sometimes, and some of us do it often as a habit.
kimchipig

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evanzinho wrote:
kimchipig wrote:
let's face it, you are not going to get rich teaching Englishie in Korea, no matter what youngsters post here.

Reality check-most of us will not get rich no matter what we do, whether it's teaching English in Korea, working in an office in our home countries, or running our own businesses. So you might as well enjoy your job, whatever it is.

I would have said a similar kind of thing in my younger years but as I have become older, I have seen that people who work hard usually make a lot of money. That is because they are willing to sacrifice more of their time to their careers
robinsoncrusoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evanzinho wrote:

i would also have said something similar when i first got to Korea, but it was one of the first misconceptions of mine to be disproven.

it doesn't matter what country you're in either. when you put your mind to accomplishing something, you'll do everything it takes to get it done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: