Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers that have moved back to America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you go and lie down for a bit. Good idea.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
In which case, cry me a river. There are roughly 100 to 1000 times as many posts here that generalize about "Americans" as there are generalizing about "Europeans."

Maybe because America is a single country, whereas Europe is 45?

Which America? North, Central, or South?

Ohhhh you mean the United States. Gotcha.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
In which case, cry me a river. There are roughly 100 to 1000 times as many posts here that generalize about "Americans" as there are generalizing about "Europeans."

Maybe because America is a single country, whereas Europe is 45?

Which America? North, Central, or South?

Ohhhh you mean the United States. Gotcha.

Sigh. See definition #1 in all of the following:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/america?s=t

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/america?q=america

http://www.yourdictionary.com/america?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/america

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/America

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/america

http://www.travelfurther.net/dictionaries/ba-ac.htm
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I came from (the UK) when people say 'America' they mean the United states of America and if they want to talk about South America or Central America they say South America or Central America. Thanks Son Dureo, thought I might have been using the wrong terminology for a minute.
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, back to the debate. I think the less you stay in Korea, the more you might be successful in the U.S. The reason is that the ones who've had more than a few years in Korea know that they can go back and make money if they are struggling in the U.S. whereas the ones who didn't stay in Korea that long persevere in America.

I say it's your call. Just because others who returned ended up failing and returning to Korea doesn't mean you will, just as those who returned and got great jobs and earned big dough doesn't mean you will enjoy the same fortune.

For me, I realize what the U.S. is and isn't and it isn't for me. I have to agree with many of the posters who say they're sick of the politics, monotony, lack of travel opportunities, ignorance of the rest of the world, and for me personally, the UTTERLY DISGUSTING OBESITY.
fermentation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Surely you can see the irony here.

No, the US is a huge country, with very different laws, economies and variations of culture in its different regions. Yes of course there are aspects of cuture that bring it together but it would be much more difficult to generalize about the way it's people think or behave in the same way that it would be about, say Sweden or Greece. If you're referring to the way I used colonials on here (in a light-hearted way) I meant the people who posted the messages generalizing about Europeans, not knowing from which particular country they came from but guessing they weren't from Europe. Has that covered everything or is there some other irony you think I've missed?

You misquoted me brother. I was talking about my own personal experiences, not generalizing Europe as a whole. Hence, "Europeans I've met." I felt it ironic the very same people who bashed Americans for being "closed-minded and Christian," had a really narrow minded view of the world. I've met French people who hated Korea solely for the fact it wasn't like France. I've met Swedes who went on about how closed-minded Americans are but didn't like Itaewon because it was "full of Negros." Brits in general seem to be very cynical of everything not British. So yeah, I haven't had the most positive of experiences with Europeans in general, regardless of the country they're from (except for Germans. They're the coolest.) One of my best buddies in the world is French and even he says French in general aren't all that open-minded. But I realize I've had a small sample size as I haven't met that many Europeans, so I don't paint them all with the same brush. Maybe you Europeans should do the same.
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germans? I have had negative experiences with them. Kiwis and South Americans are the people I prefer.
DIsbell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
UTTERLY DISGUSTING OBESITY.

Gonna use this as a springboard into American regionalism. Yes, America in general has a quite high obesity rate, but individual states often have lower rates than other OECD countries. For example, Colorado has a lower rate than Finland (and iirc, their populations are similar).

The most obese region in the US is the South, which is also the Bible Belt. So yes, there are a lot of obese, evangelical evolution-opposing gay-bashing Americans, but that's just one particular region which is, population-wise, comparable to France or Germany. And to balance my bit of South-bashing, the South has such a fantastic culinary culture- Cajun food, Soul food, Barbeque, Tex-Mex, etc. Take a look at the Pacific Northwest and you'll find a regional culture that is just about as liberal (and obese) as France and probably more diverse. Meanwhile in California and the Northeast you have some of the world's greatest centers of art, fashion, science, and modern thought/intellectualism. This could be seen in contrast to the rural, agricultural based regional culture found in the Midwest.

So I guess one nice thing about America, coming back from Korea, is that you really have a lot of variety in places to live within the country. Korea has some differences based on urban or rural living, and some regional differences (Seoul and Busan seem like they'd offer reasonably different living experiences, for example) but Korea can't quite compare to American regionalism, in my opinion. Living in Portland versus San Antonio versus NYC versus Los Angeles all offer major differences that you can match to your tastes.
toby99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIsbell wrote:
Yaya wrote:
UTTERLY DISGUSTING OBESITY.

Gonna use this as a springboard into American regionalism. Yes, America in general has a quite high obesity rate, but individual states often have lower rates than other OECD countries. For example, Colorado has a lower rate than Finland (and iirc, their populations are similar).

The most obese region in the US is the South, which is also the Bible Belt. So yes, there are a lot of obese, evangelical evolution-opposing gay-bashing Americans, but that's just one particular region which is, population-wise, comparable to France or Germany. And to balance my bit of South-bashing, the South has such a fantastic culinary culture- Cajun food, Soul food, Barbeque, Tex-Mex, etc. Take a look at the Pacific Northwest and you'll find a regional culture that is just about as liberal (and obese) as France and probably more diverse. Meanwhile in California and the Northeast you have some of the world's greatest centers of art, fashion, science, and modern thought/intellectualism. This could be seen in contrast to the rural, agricultural based regional culture found in the Midwest.

So I guess one nice thing about America, coming back from Korea, is that you really have a lot of variety in places to live within the country. Korea has some differences based on urban or rural living, and some regional differences (Seoul and Busan seem like they'd offer reasonably different living experiences, for example) but Korea can't quite compare to American regionalism, in my opinion. Living in Portland versus San Antonio versus NYC versus Los Angeles all offer major differences that you can match to your tastes.

Terrific post.
yodanole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real job is something that is used to ease, and perhaps extend, the transition between the cradle and the grave. Nothing more, nothing less.
Of course, if you want those special rims on the wheels of your solid gold coffin...

Korea, like many countries, has supermarkets ( and open markets ). These often sell beef, pork, chicken, fish, fruits, vegetables and spices. Kitchen equipment can be found if discretely inquired about. Google recipes for things like "food" or "cooking" and you might be good to go until that next 274 days, 17 hours, 36 minutes and 14 seconds has mercifully passed and you can get back to "the world".

What with the slave girls on vacation, I've had to feed myself. This has lead to the dreaded "portion control" controversy. I have to decide how much I eat. 8 grapes, or 10. Oh, the humanity! But I did find this stuff called "lettuce" which I've been told can be used in lieu of cabbage in salads. We'll see.

Regional obesity is a matter of perspective. Would you rather be crushed to death by only 3 pettifrocked Southern peaches from Atlanta, or go the Full Monte with 4 burly, flannel wearing, Birkenhooved Earth First girls out in Colorado?

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html
detonate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both states I lived in have lower 'obesity rates' (flawed term) than the average European country yet higher populations than the average Euroland. If everyone who seems bitter about the US gets to generalize, I get to too, right? Twisted Evil

Plenty of Americans lift, so have more muscle weight, yet BMI does not account for this.

This thread is obese.
ajuma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
in 1997-98 when the asian financial crisis hit korea and the won crashed to 2000 to the dollar most foreign teachers left.... obviously because the money wasn't there anymore and jobs existed in their home countries back then. and most of those teachers before the crisis used to say things like "i'm here for the food, travel, adventure.." or the more disingenuous said they were here because they loved their jobs and cared about teaching so much.LOL man, it was beautiful watching all of them bail like rats abandoning a sinking ship. but i guess the teachers who were here back then were more materialistic and self serving than those here today. Very Happy

LOL! I was here then...and I stayed! I "lived on the economy" as my military friend used to say. It was pretty funny to see everyone glued to their computers, watching the exchange rate get worse and worse...wondering where the breaking point for each teacher was.

I've worked in most sectors of the ESL industry in Korea...companies, hagowns, public schools and unis. I've found a wide range of teachers here...those who take their jobs seriously and try to improve themselves, and those who show up and expect to be paid for speaking English.

Is this a "real" job? Only if you think it is. And I do.
bojangles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: real job Reply with quote

It may not be a real job, but it pays real money!
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
Maybe my job isn't real, but the money is, and so is everything else.

I had a real job in Canada, and was poor.

+1 Very Happy If those we real jobs back home, someone else can have them. I'm perfectly happy here.

And as for whether or not this job is real, you get out what you put in.

Last edited by isitts on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Teachers that have moved back to America Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
I am thinking of giving up the international life and moving back to the states with my family. I miss my parents and they are getting older. I also want to fix up my house before I sell it. But, I am worried that I will miss my students, traveling, and the people I work with.

Do you having an regrets moving back to America? How has it been? I am asking about America specifically because I will be moving there.

Why not fix up your house and rent it out?

I've tried three times to settle back in the US. Yeah, you'll miss the things you suspect you'll miss and the reverse culture shock can hit pretty hard, but being around family and friends can mitigate that.

What couldn't be mitigated for me was that there were no jobs with near the benefits that working overseas has (financial and otherwise). Here I get paid well and my job is fun.

I know people have made the transition back and have done fine, but that was before the economy went to crap.

I miss my friends and family, too, but I just don't see any way of getting ahead working back home. And I can visit them during my vacations or take time off between contracts for longer visits.

If you can get something good lined up, then sure, you'll be fine. But don't only be pulled over there by your sentiments for your family.

Just my two cents...as someone who's been in your shoes (minus the house) a few times while working overseas. Good luck in your decision. And there's no wrong decision. If you go back, Korea is still here. Ad if you stay here, America is still there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: