Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers that have moved back to America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReeseDog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
rchristo10 wrote:
I found this motivational for staying in Korea (even though the guy's talking about China):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK4L7Gh406U&list=UUKNRzuHIvzo_D1PyPCBtBWQ&index=2&feature=plcp

I kept waiting for that guy to hang himself on that ceiling fan.

No kidding. Have you seen any of the rest of that guy's youtube stuff? It's depressing. I cannot imagine how the fellow functioned at all in Asia.
DrugstoreCowgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in America again, after living for a year in Korea and 6 months in Australia. It was hard to adjust to and I was very depressed being here for the first few months. I've been back 8 months and I see my friends and family daily and I have a great job and boyfriend and I have never been happier in my entire life. No regrets at all. It's really hard to give up the ex-pat lifestyle though. That was the hardest part. I do miss it.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrugstoreCowgirl wrote:
I have a great job.
What kind of job?
DrugstoreCowgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
DrugstoreCowgirl wrote:
I have a great job.
What kind of job?

In the insurance industry. It pays surprisingly well, and the benefits are really good too.
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrugstoreCowgirl wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:
DrugstoreCowgirl wrote:
I have a great job.
What kind of job?

In the insurance industry. It pays surprisingly well, and the benefits are really good too.

Selling insurance, ugh. But I guess somebody has to do it.
DrugstoreCowgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfromtheway wrote:
DrugstoreCowgirl wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:
DrugstoreCowgirl wrote:
I have a great job.
What kind of job?

Selling insurance, ugh. But I guess somebody has to do it.

I don't sell it. I just work for a company.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrugstoreCowgirl wrote:

People tend to assume the worst when it comes to gainful employment outside of Korea, the reasons why being fairly obvious.
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
DrugstoreCowgirl wrote:

People tend to assume the worst when it comes to gainful employment outside of Korea, the reasons why being fairly obvious.

Very Happy Yeah, well...seems she has the important things in her life where she is.
Pa Jan Jo A Hamnida

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
OK, back to the debate. I think the less you stay in Korea, the more you might be successful in the U.S. The reason is that the ones who've had more than a few years in Korea know that they can go back and make money if they are struggling in the U.S. whereas the ones who didn't stay in Korea that long persevere in America.

I say it's your call. Just because others who returned ended up failing and returning to Korea doesn't mean you will, just as those who returned and got great jobs and earned big dough doesn't mean you will enjoy the same fortune.

For me, I realize what the U.S. is and isn't and it isn't for me. I have to agree with many of the posters who say they're sick of the politics, monotony, lack of travel opportunities, ignorance of the rest of the world, and for me personally, the UTTERLY DISGUSTING OBESITY.

Translation: Couldn't get a decent job in America and became a miserable lifer in SK. Very Happy
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pa Jan Jo A Hamnida wrote:
Yaya wrote:
OK, back to the debate. I think the less you stay in Korea, the more you might be successful in the U.S. The reason is that the ones who've had more than a few years in Korea know that they can go back and make money if they are struggling in the U.S. whereas the ones who didn't stay in Korea that long persevere in America.

I say it's your call. Just because others who returned ended up failing and returning to Korea doesn't mean you will, just as those who returned and got great jobs and earned big dough doesn't mean you will enjoy the same fortune.

For me, I realize what the U.S. is and isn't and it isn't for me. I have to agree with many of the posters who say they're sick of the politics, monotony, lack of travel opportunities, ignorance of the rest of the world, and for me personally, the UTTERLY DISGUSTING OBESITY.

Translation: Couldn't get a decent job in America and became a miserable lifer in SK. Very Happy

And perhaps you couldn't hack it in Korea and went back to the U.S.
luckylady

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please someone explain it to me:

allegedly foreigners come to Korea (to teach) because they couldn't get a real job back home

but also allegedly their jobs in Korea (teaching) aren't real jobs either.

???

seems a lot of people are caught in an unreal situation.
catman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the lifers here on the board are enjoying their time in Korea.

I've met plenty of miserable dejected westerners who hate Korea but admit that they can't find a decent job back home. One guy said he was in Korea for over 4 years. Didn't know any Korean and refused to learn.
cheezsteakwit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Teachers that have moved back to America Reply with quote

catman wrote:
At least the lifers here on the board are enjoying their time in Korea.

I've met plenty of miserable dejected westerners who hate Korea but admit that they can't find a decent job back home. One guy said he was in Korea for over 4 years. Didn't know any Korean and refused to learn.

The guy lived here in Korea for 4 years ?!?!?! & can't speak ANY Korean ?!?!?

Sounds like a real 'go-getter'. I can't see WHY the employers back home aren't offering him the corner office ?? I can almost see the interview now:

"So, I see you spent 4 years in Korea. Did you use your time productively?" ... "ummm, yeah. I spent a lotta time at the PC bong, the jim jee bong & the no ray bong & now that I'm back home, I've really missed my water bong. ... Hey, will this job make me do a drug test ??" ... "Next!"

That's pretty pathetic & I TOO have met an American who spent 2 years in Japan & 2 years in Korea & can't even speak 'survival Japanese or Korean'. He said he liked 'not having to think ' about what the signs said & he liked that he could ignore conversations around him.

Granted, Korean is not easy to learn. But, a person should at least pick up some 'survival Korean'. Pay the $8.99 for a lonely planet phrasebook so you can at least make SOME effort to communicate with the locals.

Anyway, back to the thread. I've only been here for 4 months & I don't plan on heading home to the USA for a long time. I know the job market there really sucks, but I'm done with the 'corporate serfdom' thing. Been there, done that.

I can't say how long I'll stay in Korea , but I've got the 'travel bug' somethin' fierce , so we'll see what the near future holds for my passport. I'm sure I'll have reverse culture shock when / if I head home. I've kicked around the idea of maybe checking out somewhere else in the USA, maybe 'out West' in the Mountain states, or even Hawaii !! Why not ?

Life could be worse ... I could be a miserable Westerner living in a foreign country where I don't understand a damn word & I only have myself to blame.
philthor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest reason for my upcoming return to Korea is money, but a close second is the excitement of travel.

I lived in Korea for nearly a decade, had a mostly a good time (initially it was like riding a major roller coaster but eventually became more like a kiddie coaster). However, I felt working in the ESL industry would not allow for much vertical movement in my employment.

So I moved back--but with a Korean wife. It was tough at first for her, but she's now come to love the place and is slightly apprehensive about returning to Korea (we kind of live in the country a bit). We've been back in the states for over a decade.

After returning, I managed to become a certified teacher, and while pursuing my certification, I always thought that a return overseas (specifically, Korea) was possible but only if it would be with an international school or the DoDEA.

In some ways, though, moving to America was a step back. I had to start all over, and I've never been able to match the savings levels I had achieved in Korea. Paying a mortgage can be a real female dog on income, and my county has frozen our salaries for the past five years while insurance costs have continued to go up (I pay nearly $7,000 to have my wife and myself insured--okay, enough of that sob story).

Overall, my return to the states has solved my earlier fear about job mobility. Because I am now certified, I have greater employment choice with also a greater chance of a more lucrative income than if I had stuck with ESL in Korea (this is not a criticism of those who are gainfully and happily employed in ESL in Korea nor a blanket statement regarding income potential).

Many of my friends still work overseas (some in the ship building industry with most in international schools). Sure there are things they miss about living in their home countries, but it seems to me once a person has that international "jones" in his or her system, a life back in one's home country just won't cut it.

I'll be a bit circular here: Money and Travel are pulling me back.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philthor wrote:
I'll be a bit circular here: Money and Travel are pulling me back.

welcome back (if you do come back). i tell anyone i know who is interested in traveling that korea is the best place to base your traveling hub out of for this area of the world. best airport in the world winner in skytrax. abundant routes to almost anywhere you would want to go in this hemisphere and much lower cost of living based on it's three other rivals (hong kong, singapore, and tokyo).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: