Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bill Cosby
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Bill Cosby Reply with quote

Anyone else feel like discussing the accusations against him?
So many issues to deal with in this one topic.

Truly a tragic situation.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up with him as a media icon but never really took to him. His early routine about Spanish fly seems particularly damning in hindsight. His multiple accusers seem sincere with nothing obvious to gain. I think he's legitimately busted with his career forever tarnished & that he should be subject to legal investigation & punishment despite his having bought his way past statutes of limitation.

Last edited by schwa on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
& that he should be due for some kind of legal punishment too despite his having bought his way past statutes of limitation.

So, your stance is basically "Who cares about the law, the courts need to punish the man anyway"?
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was editing my post on second thought just as you were posting. Yes of course he deserves a fair hearing. Doesnt look good for him though.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
I was editing my post on second thought just as you were posting. Yes of course he deserves a fair hearing. Doesnt look good for him though.

The crimes of which he's accused were long ago and, thus, the statute of limitations precludes a trial. "Court of public opinion" is not in any way, shape, or form a fair hearing. Even if the statute of limitations did not apply, there is no substantiation of the accusations.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
His early routine about Spanish fly seems particularly damning in hindsight.

Why would you think a comedy routine in any way damning, much less one about an aphrodisiac?
radcon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that a black family with a doctor father, lawyer mother, and seemingly intelligent kids that speak proper English was just too good to be true.
candy bar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
I knew that a black family with a doctor father, lawyer mother, and seemingly intelligent kids that speak proper English was just too good to be true.

LOL

Laughing
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These allegations have been around for a while, but things did not really hit the fan for Cosby until comedian Hannibal Buress called Bill Cosby a rapist on stage. Seems he did not care for Cosby's holier than thou attitude on black youth culture.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/who-is-hannibal-buress-and-why-did-he-call-bill-cosby-a-rapist/

""Yeah, but you rape women, Bill Cosby, so turn the crazy down a couple notches," Buress said. "I've done this bit on stage and people think I'm making it up.... when you leave here, Google 'Bill Cosby rape.' That sh** has more results than 'Hannibal Buress.'""

To paraphrase this article because it says it better than me, "Cosby's allegations were already mildly well-known, but footage of the joke went viral, and suddenly, word of the comic's troubled past hit the mainstream."

I actually first heard it about the allegations for the first time back in February - eight months before the Buress bit- when I was reading the latest on the Woody Allen molestation allegations. In the article there was a link to another article with this Title:

"Why Doesn’t Anyone Care About the Sexual Assault Allegations Against Bill Cosby?"
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/02/13/bill_cosby_sexual_assault_allegations_why_isn_t_anyone_paying_attention.html

To sum up the answer to that question:

"Scocca notes that it's been so easy to forget the Cosby allegations because “nobody wanted to live in a world where Bill Cosby was a sexual predator. It was too much to handle.”

Not so easy to forget anymore.
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK we can at least be grateful that there is no statute of limitations for sex crimes and rape.

I here in Florida it is only 2 years, I hope that that is not true, but if it is then that is what rape culture looks like.

It still amazes me that even though victim after victim can make the same claims for years they will always be branded as liars or made to look like they were 'gagging for it', but the guy gets to play the role of the wounded victim.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:

I here in Florida it is only 2 years, I hope that that is not true, but if it is then that is what rape culture looks like.
I knew 2 years was wrong, but was not sure of the correct answer, so looked it up.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/floridas-statute-of-limitations-of-sexual-abuse.html

"Prosecution for sexual assault or abuse has a statute of limitations of four years. However, there is an exception made for DNA analysis, which allows for the prosecution of a rapist anytime within one year of the discovery of DNA evidence, even if it is discovered after the ordinary statute of limitations period ran out."

"For criminal cases, a prosecutor may file a charge of aggravated rape at any time, regardless of the age of the victim, and with no limitation on time. This is unique to criminal law, as murder is typically the only offense that does not a time limitation. It may be due largely to the nature of aggravated rape, which generally involves a weapon, more than one person, or seriously physically injures the victim. "
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
aq8knyus wrote:

I knew 2 years was wrong, but was not sure of the correct answer, so looked it up.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/floridas-statute-of-limitations-of-sexual-abuse.html

"Prosecution for sexual assault or abuse has a statute of limitations of four years. However, there is an exception made for DNA analysis, which allows for the prosecution of a rapist anytime within one year of the discovery of DNA evidence, even if it is discovered after the ordinary statute of limitations period ran out."

"For criminal cases, a prosecutor may file a charge of aggravated rape at any time, regardless of the age of the victim, and with no limitation on time. This is unique to criminal law, as murder is typically the only offense that does not a time limitation. It may be due largely to the nature of aggravated rape, which generally involves a weapon, more than one person, or seriously physically injures the victim. "

That is a relief, I mean it is still not great, but that is a lot better than I thought.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statutes of limitations can seem pretty solid, but they're subject to so-called "equitable" tolling. I don't mean to give anyone false hope in Cosby's case, it seems like its long past the opportunity for civil suits against him related to most of these allegations.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:

"Why Doesn’t Anyone Care About the Sexual Assault Allegations Against Bill Cosby?"
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/02/13/bill_cosby_sexual_assault_allegations_why_isn_t_anyone_paying_attention.html

I thought this part was also true:

Quote:
In a society that still has trouble seeing all forms of sexual abuse as clearly wrong, it’s easier for us to place blame on attackers who target underage victims. When the victims of rape are adult women, we focus on their own behavior and mistrust their testimonies, softening our incrimination of their attackers. When I asked Newsweek’s Baker why she felt that the victims she spoke with had been ignored, she told me: “I think it's because they were imperfect victims, as victims so often are,” Baker told me. The two women Baker interviewed were young at the time of the assaults, but over the age of 18. More importantly, “they were ambitious aspiring actresses and models who were hanging out with an older man who said he'd make them famous.” Maybe we take their age and ambition—their self-determination, really—as an excuse to withhold our support.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Because the past allegations haven't manifested in anything greater than an out-of-court settlement, and this new round hasn't been supported by any evidence. Because Cosby has cultivated an image that requires more than a simple accusation to destroy. Because Janice Dickinson has, entirely of her own doing, cultivated quite a different image. Because any number of reasons that don't involve misogyny, rape culture, patriarchy, racism, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: