Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I use guitar pedals from the USA over here?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Can I use guitar pedals from the USA over here? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of picking up a couple when I go to Hawaii in winter..
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use guitar pedals from the USA over here? Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
I'm thinking of picking up a couple when I go to Hawaii in winter..

If it plugs into the wall you will probably have issues with a US made one and will likely need a power transformer (step down 250-125 VAC) and not just a plug converter.

IF in doubt, look at the power label on the device (usually a silver tag attached to the cord or the back of the power brick/ac adapter).
IF it says input 110-250vac you are good to go.
If it says 110-125vac then you are not.

Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar pedals here are exactly the same as guitar pedals elsewhere: Boss, Digitech, E-H, Fulltone... I even bought a WMD Geiger Counter here last year. (Not advised, awesome pedal, but they're horribly overpriced here.) A Korean company called "Artec" makes a couple different decent power supplies if you've got a stack of pedals you need powered. Generic 9V single-pedal power adapters are easy enough to come by as well.

For an idea of what's available in Korea, go here: http://sounz.co.kr -> easily the largest selection of pedals in Korea. The guy has things I couldn't find in Nakwon (massive, like the biggest in the world, two story, musical instrument store in Insadong, Seoul.)

My setup:

DanElectro Dano Pro (gold) -> Artec Tuner -> Boss CS-3 -> Devi Ever Legend of Fuzz -> VisualSound Jekyl and Hyde -> WMD Geiger Counter -> Artec 7 band EQ -> Boss DD-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Fame -> Laney CUB10

Powered by an Artec power supply with cool, blue, blindingly bright LEDs mounted on a crowded-ass Pedaltrain jr.

And I play alone in my bedroom... Crying or Very sad
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice setup! I plug all my pedals into a board which is powered by a single ac adapter. So I guess, I can just plug the US pedals straight in without a problem? I hope so, because the prices in nakwon are ridiculous sometimes. I want a Boss PS-6 or a Digitech Whammy but they are far too much here..
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
Guitar pedals here are exactly the same as guitar pedals elsewhere:

Pedals are the same, A/C adapters are not always universal; especially those in the US market.

OP: since they plug into a board and the A/C adapter is fine then you should be fine.

Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
Sounds like a nice setup! I plug all my pedals into a board which is powered by a single ac adapter. So I guess, I can just plug the US pedals straight in without a problem? I hope so, because the prices in nakwon are ridiculous sometimes. I want a Boss PS-6 or a Digitech Whammy but they are far too much here..

Check the adapter for your board. If it's rated for 110-240V, 50/60Hz, you are good to go short of a plug adapter to fit in Korea's sockets. If it's for something like 110-120v, you will need to buy an equivalent in Korea. Which shouldn't be too hard to find.

Edit: If I understand this correctly, you are using this board in Korea now? If so, yes you can plug your American pedals into it no problem. I've ordered two of mine straight from the US and am using my Korean made power supply.

Pedals are almost universally 9V DC with some notable exceptions. (E-H pedals especially, but they inevitably come with their own adapters.)

There may also be issues with certain pedals and your power supply depending on how much current it puts out. Most pedals require only a tiny amount of current, but something like a Boss DD-20 requires at least 200mA. My power supply only supplies 100mA max at each output. In order to use a DD-20 with my power supply, I had to wire two outputs together in parallel in order to double the current output but keep the voltage the same. Most good power supplies will have a couple of higher current outputs for pedals like this, but I don't know about your board. If it's a "one-spot" you should be fine with anything 9V DC.
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
cj1976 wrote:

Check the adapter for your board. If it's rated for 110-240V, 50/60Hz, you are good to go short of a plug adapter to fit in Korea's sockets. If it's for something like 110-120v, you will need to buy an equivalent in Korea. Which shouldn't be too hard to find.

Edit: If I understand this correctly, you are using this board in Korea now? If so, yes you can plug your American pedals into it no problem. I've ordered two of mine straight from the US and am using my Korean made power supply.

Pedals are almost universally 9V DC with some notable exceptions. (E-H pedals especially, but they inevitably come with their own adapters.)

There may also be issues with certain pedals and your power supply depending on how much current it puts out. Most pedals require only a tiny amount of current, but something like a Boss DD-20 requires at least 200mA. My power supply only supplies 100mA max at each output. In order to use a DD-20 with my power supply, I had to wire two outputs together in parallel in order to double the current output but keep the voltage the same. Most good power supplies will have a couple of higher current outputs for pedals like this, but I don't know about your board. If it's a "one-spot" you should be fine with anything 9V DC.

It's a Korean pedal board (I guess). I bought it here and I am using it here now. Also, all the pedals were purchased here and they all work fine through the board. I was kind of hoping to pick up a bargain in Hawaii, but I have no idea of the prices there.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't be any more expensive than they are here.
happiness

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cj1976"][quote="Underwaterbob"]
cj1976 wrote:
I was kind of hoping to pick up a bargain in Hawaii, but I have no idea of the prices there.

Bargain?!? hahaha

not unless you get the Kamaaina discount.

love from Pearl City.

all of my 200+ pedals have worked fine here. I use a transfromer if I have to.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="happiness"][quote="cj1976"]
Underwaterbob wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
I was kind of hoping to pick up a bargain in Hawaii, but I have no idea of the prices there.

Bargain?!? hahaha

not unless you get the Kamaaina discount.

love from Pearl City.

What do you mean? Is stuff expensive there? I really have no idea..
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happiness wrote:

200+? I thought I had a problem...
camaroclow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone help me determine if my desktop is dual voltage? The power cord it says ~1002C 250V~? I want to take it back to Canada with me, but not if i have to use a transformer. Thanks!
camaroclow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just opened the case up and it says AC input 230 Vac 60 Hz 5a. Looks like im out of luck and would need a new power supply or a transformer?
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is an odd place to ask, but yes, you are probably out of luck. Computer power supplies are not usually dual voltage. Just buy a new one when you get to wherever you're going.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy pedals. Make your own.

www.pedalparts.co.kr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: