Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony Vaio Parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orbit720

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Sony Vaio Parts Reply with quote

So my vaio has been making a lot of noise around the fan. I think a magnet got in there somehow from work and broke fan pieces because it I can hear them when I shake the laptop.

Where can I take the laptop to get fixed that has Vaio parts? I went to one place and they wanted to charge me almost 100 just to look at it and said it would be a month to order parts for the Vaio.

There has to be a better place in Seoul that I can take my laptop. Any info would be appreciated.
jackdaniels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: info Reply with quote

Pm moi with your contact details.
Very Happy
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Sony Service Center. They should usually have the parts. Sometimes they will fix for cheap or free.

I have used the one in Yongsan a few times. Took a bit of looking but it is in the basement of the JunJari Land (sic).

http://www.sony.co.kr/CS/handler/sony/kr/Map-ViewMap?dealerascId=245
PatrickBateman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, me too! Actually, the fan sounds like it's ready to die at any moment. Where can I go get to get a replacement and have them install it as well? Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Skippy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickBateman wrote:
Hey, me too! Actually, the fan sounds like it's ready to die at any moment. Where can I go get to get a replacement and have them install it as well? Any help would be great.

Thanks!

My VAIO is a bit old. A year or two ago the model was known for having a weird noisy fan. When I took it to the A/S center in Seoul/Yongsan. They replaced it for free since it was bought in Korea and under warrenty.

I likely think if they have the part they will replace.

Also Patrick did you look at my post. I gave a link to the A/S centers in Korea. A little bit more clicking and you can find the one closest to you.
orosee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What jackdaniels said.

(I'm off Vaios for good because of Sony's deplorable spare parts policy.)
jackdaniels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Parts replacement depends on two factors.

Where was the laptop bought?
How old?
orosee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out I only needed a single replacement part: Company Toshiba Very Happy

By the way thanks JD, the computer I got from you still works great!
tideout

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Sony Vaio E vs. Toshiba's Satellite Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I suppose this is dangerous asking how people like the Sony Vaio in a thread where someone is looking for parts but here goes......

When I get back to the States I want to pick up a laptop for producing docs, ppts, Skype. maybe some audio editing etc.. I'm not looking to do any video editing or super heavy gaming. I'm looking for a solid business style laptop.

I'm wondering how you guys like your Sony's? Would you favor this over a Toshiba in general? It looks like there's some decent software with the Sony though I've always found freeware or open source software pretty easily.

I'm looking at the E series Vaio's or possibly a Toshiba Satellite both of which are about $599 at Amazon. I'd like a "14 screen and an i3 processor which both fit the bill for me.

What do you think?

On a side note - there are surprisingly few reviews on Amazon for the Sony......
orosee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm off Sony for good (except for my PS3) ever since my screen broke and according to JackDaniels (who tried long and hard to find a replacement part) Sony no longer provided the defective part and parts sold on eBay were close to the price of a new machine. The computer was just 2 years old, so I'm not counting Sony as a safe investment anymore.

I'm lucky that my company gave me a Toshiba TECRA R840 which has high screen resolution, a better than decent ATi graphics card and 6GB RAM. It's my work computer but handles games very well. But it's out of your budget range (at least if bought in Korea).

JD gave me a good deal on a desktop computer for home so I don't need to move the Toshiba between the office and home anymore. Generally I'm very happy with it and I recently almost bit our IT guy because I thought he wanted to take it away from me.

I'm not saying that Toshiba is better than Sony, just that Sony is dead for me (except the upcoming PS4, probably).
tideout

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orosee wrote:
Well I'm off Sony for good (except for my PS3) ever since my screen broke and according to JackDaniels (who tried long and hard to find a replacement part) Sony no longer provided the defective part and parts sold on eBay were close to the price of a new machine. The computer was just 2 years old, so I'm not counting Sony as a safe investment anymore.

I'm lucky that my company gave me a Toshiba TECRA R840 which has high screen resolution, a better than decent ATi graphics card and 6GB RAM. It's my work computer but handles games very well. But it's out of your budget range (at least if bought in Korea).

JD gave me a good deal on a desktop computer for home so I don't need to move the Toshiba between the office and home anymore. Generally I'm very happy with it and I recently almost bit our IT guy because I thought he wanted to take it away from me.

I'm not saying that Toshiba is better than Sony, just that Sony is dead for me (except the upcoming PS4, probably).

Thanks for the feedback on your experience with SONY. I've used Asus for netbooks the last few years with very good results but they price upwards in a strange way - better models shoot out of my range, can't find reviews in my range and the positive overall brand quality seems to be limited to the netbook line.

It seems like I've run into the screen problem with SONY on the net but couldn't begin to tell you where. I may end up leaning toward the Toshiba or a Lenova then.

Again thanks - much appreciated.

tideout
jackdaniels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Sony Reply with quote

Sony has a long history of being selfish and greedy.
Don't get me wrong they come out with some stylish products.
Remember those VHS players? Well Sony had a superior competitor in it's Betamax line. Only problem was Sony didn't want to license out the patent for other companies to make the players.
Betamax had better video quality and the tapes smaller and took less space.
So because of their greed in the end consumers suffered and VHS format was what we ended up with.

ASUS notebooks are fairly well built and I think their ASUS Lamborghini VX7SX is a mean looking machine.
Most consumers don't know but they are new in the laptop world but have been powering desktops with their motherboards forever and are considered at the top as far as gaming goes. They also have last I checked worldwide warranty on their laptops!

One last note, Apple products are made with style and have a geekiness to them. But little do people know they have had defects in all categories from the one side of the ear phones don't work, iphone 4 antenna issue, white macbooks with cracking palm area, macbook pro 2007-2008 video card defect, and the last generation white macbooks bottom rubber lid deformation.
tideout

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when I think "Sony" I think odd proprietary problems. Still from the era you're mentioning. It may have haunted them on some level with consumers well past those products.

Yes, Asus has been great for a netbook but I see that they have not done as well in laptop ratings. Today, I did spot a lower end Asus laptop that is rated fairly well and I'm going to check out the comparison between the AMD dual core (I'd thrown in 8G's Ram) in it vs. an i3 processor. For what I need I may just be throwing money after a spec that's not that important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: