Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3G or LTE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonbowman88

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: 3G or LTE? Reply with quote

Im trying to decide which phone to get. I've found there's a huge price difference between 3G and LTE plans. I want to be able to use VOIP. What is the bandwidth of 3G in Korea? Will I be able to use VOIP with a 3G phone, or is LTE a better idea?

Thanks!
phatrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Skype every other day on my 3g phone. 90% of the time there is no problem.
jonbowman88

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man
teachal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also will be ready to get a new phone in October. Good month for it! The iPhone 5 as well as my other curiosity, the Note II will be coming out. I can't wait to get rid of the garbage phone I have now which is Galaxy S original.

I asked SKT and with LTE, there are no unlimited data plans. For 5 Gigs per month, the cost is W60,000. Just for the plan. Now say you get the iPhone 5. I'm sure it'll be priced to the sky here in Korea. Say 1 million for example. Divide that by 24 and you get W41,000 per month.

We're at 101,000 per month now and who knows what other charges there will be. More, I'm sure.

Now say you've just gotten your new MHL adapter and you can connect your phone to the big screen TV. Cool! YouTube music vids here I come! Teaching a class where there's no PC in the room but they have a TV or projector? Even better!

How long do you think the 5 Gigs is going to last at this rate?

Hmm...I think I'll stick with 3G. Don't know, but hopefully they'll still have the unlimited plan for around 55 per month.
phatrick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wifi is every where so the 5gb can last long. Get a wireless router at home, most subways stations, buses and busy area's have wifi. But yes it is expensive when you add the cost of phone in with LTE plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: