Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Romney (Rmoney) toast?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cruz victory in Texas last week emboldened the Tea Party to threaten Romney. That cannot have gone down well. Even a flip-flopper doesn't want his spinelessness trumpeted in public.
http://news.yahoo.com/mitt-romney-better-move-says-emboldened-tea-party-175919258.html

Rachel pointed out the amusing scene the day after the GOP nominated Cruz in Texas that the Congressional GOP held a House committee hearing about making English the official language. I think this is called shooting yourself in the foot. Nominate a Latino as an outreach and then the next day insult the very same people you want to attract. According to Latino Decisions: Obama 70%, Romney 22%

Nate Silver's newest prediction for the Electoral College...
Obama is now at 70.8% chance of winning (all-time high) �UP 5.8% since July 25 (before London). Romney is now DOWN to 29.2%.

For those into decent literature, Wells Tower (short story writer) filed this report of his time on the campaign trail with Mitt: Desperately Seeking Mitt
http://www.gq.com/news-politics/politics/201208/mitt-romney-wells-tower-gq-august-2012?printable=true

(I'm not claiming the report is great lit, I'm saying he's a fine writer who has branched out into political reporting. The article is scathing.)

Tomasky is following me Very Happy and predicting a landslide: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/04/michael-tomasky-on-the-possible-coming-obama-landslide.html

David Frum has a good article pointing to 6 factors causing anxiety in America: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/08/05/david-frum-on-high-anxiety-america.html

The article is worth reading for a summary of the issues, but doesn't go into solutions because he's a conservative and the solutions are not conservative.

I think my concern now is about what will happen with the radical conservatives who only read sites that tell them Romney is leading. When they wake up on Wednesday morning and find Obama won a second term, what will they do?
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Eric Erickson right today when he said it was the day Mitt lost the presidency?

Ann Coulter thinks the spox made a mistake and should be fired; others think the woman said what she was supposed to say.

The stench of burning hair from the right was pretty strong today.

Mitt can let her dangle in the wind, like he did that gay spox a couple of months ago.

He can fire her.

He can take this as an etch-a-sketch moment and come out for Obamacare.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resounding silence from the Romney camp today indicates that Ms Saul was stating the campaign's position...and the frothing rage from the Right was their response.

Will Mitt defy them?
Will Mitt buckle to them?

All this on the heels of dreadful poll numbers for Mittens.

Grover Norquist wants a GOP dude in the White House with enough workable digits to sign whatever the congressional radicals send to him.

I'm reminded of Andrew Johnson. The Radical Republicans of the day demanded that he just shut up and do what they wanted (which was correct in their day). When he didn't, they impeached him.

Charles Pierce (Esquire) makes the comparison with Harry Reid and the Vince Foster (what is a word that conveys the scumminess of that mess?).
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, Mitt Romney in no way, shape, or form deserves a moniker like RMoney.
rollo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct you are Steelrails. Mittens sounds better.
luckylady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:

I think my concern now is about what will happen with the radical conservatives who only read sites that tell them Romney is leading. When they wake up on Wednesday morning and find Obama won a second term, what will they do?

same thing that has been done in history before -

plan an assassination

plan a diversion in the form of an attack by an alleged foreign enemy such as what was done on 9/11 or the Gulf of Tonken

plan another economic crisis even worse than the prior ones.

plan an arbitrarily spread virus which threatens major populated areas

*oops* edit all that - the plans of course have already been made; the question will be which one or ones will be carried out.

guess we'll have to wait and see
luckylady

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:

prefer Mitt the Twit myself
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 538 guy makes a convincing case that Obama will win again. Thank god.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/nobody-here-but-us-technocrats

Quote:
Josh Rogin of Foreign Policy parses the prospects for the Romney foreign policy team. Especially rich is the depiction of Elliott Abrams as a �technocratic official� with government experience, rumored to be a possible NSC head. Bill Kristol, one of the sources for the article, provides his take:

For the record, and on the record, my notional choices would be, as of now: Secretary of State Joe Lieberman, Secretary of Defense David Petraeus (Congress would have to waive the seven-year rule), National Security Adviser Elliott Abrams, Deputy National Security Adviser Robert Kagan, Ambassador to the United Nations Ryan Crocker, and Director of the CIA Gary Schmitt.

I guess no one can say we aren�t being warned.

If that is in any way an accurate description of a potential Mitt regime then please dear baby Jesus let Obama win. As much as I'd like to see the present system fall over, an Abrams/Kagan/Schmitt etc gov would be a disaster for humanity. How many wars would they start?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitt just decided to kiss Florida good-bye. Thanks Mitt!

Ezra Klein's analysis

Quote:
2. This is an admission of fear from the Romney campaign. You don�t make a risky pick like Paul Ryan if you think the fundamentals favor your candidate. You make a risky pick like Paul Ryan if you think the fundamentals don�t favor your candidate. And, right now, the numbers don�t look good for Romney: Obama leads in the Real Clear Politics average of polls by more than four percentage points � his largest lead since April.

3. Related point:
Two of the top contenders in the Romney campaign�s veepstakes were Ohio�s Rob Portman and Florida�s Marco Rubio. Given that there�s fairly good evidence that vice presidential candidates are worth at least a point or two in their home states, the Romney campaign�s decision to pick Ryan is evidence that they feel they need to change the national dynamic, not just pick off a battleground state.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/06/adelson-vs-romney.html

Quote:
Adelson has said he would give up to $100 million in this election cycle to defeat President Obama, and he recently accompanied Romney on his tour of Israel at the end of July.

Democracy! A guy who earns his money from gambling in China (Macao) is gonna give the American conservative 100m for the election. The Greeks would smile.

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/billionaire-gingrich-backer-adelson-regrets-he-served-us-instead-israeli-military

Quote:
In a talk to an Israeli group in July, 2010, Adelson said he wished he had served in the Israeli Army rather the U.S. military�and that he hoped his young son will come back to Israel and �be a sniper for the IDF,� a reference to the Israel Defense Forces. (YouTube video of speech)

�I am not Israeli. The uniform that I wore in the military, unfortunately, was not an Israeli uniform. It was an American uniform, although my wife was in the IDF and one of my daughters was in the IDF � our two little boys, one of whom will be bar mitzvahed tomorrow, hopefully he�ll come back� his hobby is shooting � and he�ll come back and be a sniper for the IDF,� Adelson said at the event.

�All we care about is being good Zionists, being good citizens of Israel, because even though I am not Israeli born, Israel is in my heart,� he said toward the end of his talk.

This guy is giving 100m in an American election. Do you people really believe you live in either a republic or a democracy? Or is denial just more emotionally comfortable?
rollo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly live in denial!! But we enjoy the comedy. What paradise do you live in Titus, some place where selfless philosopher statesman slave only to better the lot of their fellow countrymen?
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:
Mostly live in denial!! But we enjoy the comedy. What paradise do you live in Titus, some place where selfless philosopher statesman slave only to better the lot of their fellow countrymen?

It is best that we're all honest with ourselves. Isn't it? I live in the United States. So you're with George Carlin? We've got a ticket to the freak show and might as well enjoy the program? I'm sympathetic.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckylady wrote:
rollo wrote:

prefer Mitt the Twit myself

RMoney just sounds too hip-hoppy and vaguely complimentary. Of course, I guess you could call him "The Dirty Glove", which would be ironic considering "Dirty Glove" is the name of a Michigan Hip-Hop label and Romney's dad was governor of Michigan.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Rmoney chose his running mate and it looks like a humiliating choice on his part. I'm not at all sure that Romney made yet another gaffe when he introduced Ryan as 'the next president of the US'. It may have been a Freudian slip of epic proportions. Epic. At least Grover Norquist got his wish. Romney has enough working digits to sign the bills Congress sends him, while he keeps the seat warm for the next guy.

This is very clearly a ticket for the 1%. We'll have to wait and see how that plays out, but I'm thinking not well. But I could be wrong.

The decision seems to have been made to surrender to the ultra-right right after the Prime Minister of the UK and the mayor of London publically mocked Romney. I know the election is not about foreign policy�but it ain't totally nothing either; the average person just assumes the US president will be the international leader and adequate is good enough; Romney was seen to be not just inadequate, but a disaster. Should Romney be elected, it is clear US influence will be significantly reduced on the international stage, only propped up to the extent it will be is by how many countries we bomb/invade. All muscle, no brain.

Romney had to change the focus from his own glaring failures as a candidate to something...anything, else. So the focus now is going to be the Ryan Budget and cutting social programs while increasing defense spending�clearly signalled by announcing Ryan's candidacy in front of a warship.

This could be the Election of 1932 all over again.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
same thing that has been done in history before -

plan an assassination

plan a diversion in the form of an attack by an alleged foreign enemy such as what was done on 9/11 or the Gulf of Tonken

plan another economic crisis even worse than the prior ones.

plan an arbitrarily spread virus which threatens major populated areas

*oops* edit all that - the plans of course have already been made; the question will be which one or ones will be carried out.

guess we'll have to wait and see

While you and I seem to be generally on the same side, I want to distance myself from your delving into conspiracy theories--unless you were joking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: