Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US approves Korea's use of chase flights to test the F-35

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: US approves Korea's use of chase flights to test the F-35 Reply with quote

The bid for Korea's next generation fighter is underway.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/08/205_118509.html

Quote:
The testing team has just completed two weeks of tests on Boeing's F-15 Silent Eagle in the U.S, while evaluations for Lockheed's F-35A and EADS's Eurofighter are scheduled for next month, according to the state-run Defense Acquisition and Procurement Agency.

Personally, I've felt the F-15SE is the best pick for the ROK AF. Since we already have the F-15, some of the components and weapon systems will be compatible and the pilots will used to it. It is also much less expensive than the F-35 while still having some stealth capabilities. I wish they didn't pick the F-35 at this point; it caused enough problems for the US during development.

I'm no expert on the issue so I talked to my father about it since he worked on the FX program before Korea adopted the F-15. My dad isn't particularly sold on the whole idea of stealth aircraft in the first place and he seemed to be leaning torwards the Eurofighter.

My dad was pushing for the Eurofighter back then and I remember him being pissed at the US for pressuring the ROK government into adopting the F-15, although he seems to have changed his stance a bit since then. I'm concerned the US might do the same again with the F-35 especially to reduce production costs. This article talks more about that.
http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_international/544679.html

My dad didn't seem too worried about that this time although apparently Lockheed Martin contacted him and some people he works with to publish a study on why the F-35 is the best pick for the ROK AF.

I'm kind of skeptical of Lockheed Martin not allowing ROK pilots to fly the aircraft but still pushing us to buy it. Although I do love the idea of being able to hit anywhere in North Korea without them seeing it coming (and I'm sure the'll raise a fit about our stealth capabilities), I'm not convinced the F-35 will be cost-effective enough.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez...last I heard the U.S. was trying to sell ROK on F-15SE instead of F-35s because they were worried about technology theft and such. Now this? That kinda makes me nervous about it being a bloated piece of junk. A modern B-36.

The articles didn't mention the other competitors. Seems like the F-35 and F-15SE are in it...what's the third? Eurofighter? No Rafale or Gripen?
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article mentions the Eurofighter. It's those three, Eurofigher, F-35, and the Silent Eagle. I am not sold on the idea of the F-35 at all. Not for the US and especially for Korea with our tiny defense budget.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The technology is not likely to remain that new for long anyway. More money from sales means more money for further designs and even better planes. Korea is staunch American ally, I say sell them the F-35's. It also puts a lot of pressure on China. The US wants and needs money and I can't think of a better country to sell the planes to.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my students last term was the ROK president's pilot on 'Air Force One'. What a loser. Beyond liking to hear himself talk, he had nothing to offer. (A loose translation of the vast majority of his classmates.) A good argument for why students should not be placed by rank rather than ability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: