Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HIV Testing Policy Challenged - UN Coalition on Human Rights
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tideout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: HIV Testing Policy Challenged - UN Coalition on Human Rights Reply with quote

The story with other links is here:

http://populargusts.blogspot.kr/2012/07/mandatory-hiv-testing-policy-challenged.html

Here's the opener for reference:

The Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights has accepted a claim against South Korea filed by a New Zealand woman who was employed as an English teacher in the country. VOA Correspondent Steve Herman in Seoul reports the case challenges mandatory HIV testing for many foreigners working in South Korea.

I'm posting this as it's been of interest and discussed here in the past.

Regards.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe this will result in Korea finally switching all the medical testing off-shore and to make it part of visa issuance instead of doing tests after the visa is issued or after the person arrives in K-land.

Furthermore, the "racial discrimination" angle will be tough to support because the issue is with E2 visas and last time I checked E2 was not a "race" per say. Sure E2 holders are non-Koreans but they come from any of 7 countries and can be of diverse ethnic backgrounds. Furthermore, certain visa types are not tested and these tests are also mainly for persons who will teach and be in contact with kids.

Still, curious to see how far this will get as the UN does not exactly have a lot of clout in what is in this case an national policy for a country. It may lead to some changes however.
tideout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird thought - they do the right thing because it's embarrassing not to.
Wildbore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have already been changes to the policy.

According to the guidelines, an E-2 Visa cannot be revoked due to an HIV/AIDS positive test.

However, they can revoke it if you lied on the self-health form and said you didn't have HIV/AIDS, then came here and knowingly tested positive for it.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Well maybe this will result in Korea finally switching all the medical testing off-shore and to make it part of visa issuance instead of doing tests after the visa is issued or after the person arrives in K-land.

Furthermore, the "racial discrimination" angle will be tough to support because the issue is with E2 visas and last time I checked E2 was not a "race" per say. Sure E2 holders are non-Koreans but they come from any of 7 countries and can be of diverse ethnic backgrounds. Furthermore, certain visa types are not tested and these tests are also mainly for persons who will teach and be in contact with kids.

Still, curious to see how far this will get as the UN does not exactly have a lot of clout in what is in this case an national policy for a country. It may lead to some changes however.

I'm not sure about that. I would describe white supremacy as a racially discriminatory ideology, as it discriminates against everyone that isn't white. Similarly, if you're testing everyone who isn't Korean, wouldn't that amount to Korean supremacy, in a sense?
liveinkorea316

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that aids tests should be a right of South Korea if they want to test immigrants or foreign workers BUT they must test ALL foreign workers so therefore the UNHCR is the appropriate place to complain about this issue. I am nut sure racist is the exact word you need to use but discriminatory is definately true.
tideout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

I'm not sure about that. I would describe white supremacy as a racially discriminatory ideology, as it discriminates against everyone that isn't white. Similarly, if you're testing everyone who isn't Korean, wouldn't that amount to Korean supremacy, in a sense?

I think this is valid point.

In a society that's basically multiracial, discriminating against E-2's might be too broad a class of people to call it targeted.

In a society that's so homogenous I think a case could be made that "westerners" whether it's a Caucasian from Ireland an African American from the US or a New Zealander whose parents are Chinese etc...seem like a specific class the way people are so narrowly categorized here.

In any case, it's an Achilles heel for SK and they should make steps out of this if they want to genuinely step into a more respected image.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will likely result in a modification of the policy that goes further than what has already been done.

Moving the testing off-shore and making it a visa issuance requirement is the easiest way to go.

Or, simply do away with this particular test but maintain a health check that includes other dangerous diseases for people (regardless of ethnicity) who will teach children. Just as a side note, Korean public school teachers do undergo health exams when they are hired....unless that requirement has been dropped.

As for the image of Korea, I do think some people on here make this out into a much larger issue that it actually is but that may be just my perception of things.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:

As for the image of Korea, I do think some people on here make this out into a much larger issue that it actually is but that may be just my perception of things.

You could be on to something here. I've read somewhere on another site that Korea's international image, as perceived by E2 types, is hardly a top priority.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger fancini wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

You could be on to something here. I've read somewhere on another site that Korea's international image, as perceived by E2 types, is hardly a top priority.

Lol. I'm not sure anyone outside of E2 types is paying attention. Doesn't the UN have better things to do?
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E2s shouldn't be tested for HIV because teaching is not a method of spreading HIV. And that's probably why Korean teachers aren't tested for it.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

As both Mr. Steelrails and I have pointed out in the past...we know a few E-2 people whom are of Korean descent (they couldn't get the F-visa for some reason or another). They had to take the same tests too.

It's governed by visa status and not race

Besides which the new laws (as stated by Mr. ttompatz) include ALL teachers both foreign and Korean to undergo medical/criminal background checks. And according to a couple of Korean teachers the first time they went for their check they were checked for STDS. Not sure if it were AIDS specifically though.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
northway wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

As both Mr. Steelrails and I have pointed out in the past...we know a few E-2 people whom are of Korean descent (they couldn't get the F-visa for some reason or another). They had to take the same tests too.

Besides which the new laws (as stated by Mr. ttompatz) include ALL teachers both foreign and Korean to undergo medical/criminal background checks. And according to a couple of Korean teachers the first time they went for their check they were checked for STDS. Not sure if it were AIDS specifically though.

I was more contending with the notion that there couldn't be any racism involved because E2s don't constitute a race. I think it's a stupid policy, not a racist one, but saying that Korea's immigration policies can't be influenced by xenophobia isn't realistic, IMO.
sml7285

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
northway wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

E-10's don't need a medical exam. Maybe those uncomfortable with an STD exam should go that route.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Furthermore, the "racial discrimination" angle will be tough to support because the issue is with E2 visas and last time I checked E2 was not a "race" per say. Sure E2 holders are non-Koreans but they come from any of 7 countries and can be of diverse ethnic backgrounds.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard all week. The Third Reich sent a pretty diverse group (Jews, Poles, gypsies) to the camps as well, does this mean their extermination policies weren't racist? I realize we're not talking about extermination here, but a racial line is being pretty clearly drawn here. You're a Korean citizen (or resident) and you want to teach kids? No HIV test. Not a Korean citizen or resident? Roll up that sleeve please....

Good on Lisa for going to the trouble she's gone through to make this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: