Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HIV Testing Policy Challenged - UN Coalition on Human Rights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick: Good job on explaining how sloth completely missed the point.
slothrop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could repost that in something resembling intelligible written English?
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean citizens are not required HIV or drugs tests. Is it okay that F5 (Korean permanent residents) are required these tests?
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
Korean citizens are not required HIV or drugs tests. Is it okay that F5 (Korean permanent residents) are required these tests?

Male Korean citizens are required to do mandatory military service.

Is it okay F5's are not required to do so?

( You can argue that mandatory service shouldn't be required of anyone...a point with which I agree) but until that changes that IS the reality we are required to deal with. So let's stick to the points at hand).

There's good and bad...SOME of us may have to take tests (F5's only have to take these tests if they are teachers) but on the other hand we don't have to waste 2 years of our lives in the army.

And if Korea ever gets too much the vast majority of us can always vote with our feet and leave whereas that is not really an option for the vast majority of Korean citizens.

And we have a useful skill which is in demand around the world...teaching English. Teaching Korean is (for the most part) only useful in Korea.

In other words if you've got three Kings you don't throw your hand in just because the rest of them are a 2 and 3.
And if by some chance you don't have mostly Kings..then reshuffle and redeal (go back to school, get extra qualifications...etc)
Or you can keep playing the same bad hand over and over again while expecting different results...isn't there a name for doing that?
I know which I'd rather do.

[/list]
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ㅅㅅIs that a yes or no?
slothrop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
sml7285

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
any american who thinks that f-2, f-6 or f-5 visa teachers SHOULD be tested even if korean citizens are not... to be consisitent... must also think that foreigners who live in america on green cards, whether obtained by marrying an american citizen or via another route, should be tested to work in certain fields even if american citizens are not.

"well, why shouldn't they be tested? it ain't like they's real 'mericans. if they don't like it they kin always leave-n-go back to where they came from... fact is... they should feel lucky we all let them have the honor of staying in 'merica... maybe we should makem do a tour of duty in the military b'fore we let'm have a green card. after all we'z spreadin' freedom like a whor spreads the syph. YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAWWW!"

Green card holders are legal aliens. THEY ARE NOT CITIZENS.

Plus you do realize that you have to get a blood test during a green card medical test, right?
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
any american who thinks that f-2, f-6 or f-5 visa teachers SHOULD be tested even if korean citizens are not... to be consisitent... must also think that foreigners who live in america on green cards, whether obtained by marrying an american citizen or via another route, should be tested to work in certain fields even if american citizens are not.
!"

I'm not American but I think that every sovereign country has the right to establish its own immigration policy as it sees fit.
slothrop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
slothrop wrote:
!"

I'm not American but I think that every sovereign country has the right to establish its own immigration policy as it sees fit.

after contemplating this issue i have concluded that i agree... every country has a right to set its own immigration policy including testing for aids and drugs.

i have also concluded that after ALL immigration requirements have been met successfully it is wrong to demand MORE tests from foreigners by non-immigration authorities, unless these tests are required equally for everyone including citizens.

i hope i have made myself clear.

Why is it wrong? Can countries not set their own policies for foreigners working for them?
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
slothrop wrote:
!"

after contemplating this issue i have concluded that i agree... every country has a right to set its own immigration policy including testing for aids and drugs.

i have also concluded that after ALL immigration requirements have been met successfully it is wrong to demand MORE tests from foreigners by non-immigration authorities, unless these tests are required equally for everyone including citizens.

i hope i have made myself clear.

Actually if an employer wishes to demand more out of applicants in terms of medical testing it is not wrong.
slothrop

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual sloth it is not as black & white as you want it to be. There are circumstances & situations.

To reassure you, typically, if a foreigner gets a work visa for Korea, he goes through some tests to get the visa. Then he may be required to take the same tests as another employee that is a Korean national.

Always remember this: a foreigner is on a SPONSORED visa, meaning his or her presence in Korea is granted for the sole reason a local employer made a case with the government that he needed a foreign worker to fill a specific role that could not be filled locally. As such, the employer is responsible for the employee in legal terms.

A fact that is all too often ignored when people wish to decry the inequalities of the system...
slothrop

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: