Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HIV Testing Policy Challenged - UN Coalition on Human Rights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the OP's first link given go to the blog and get an update, S. Korea has ignored the CERD.
hubbahubba

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, a country ignoring the UN...that's never happened before. Sorry to be so insensitive, but come on
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What????? A country is IGNORING a UN statement or declaration!

That is just IMPOSSIBLE. It is UNHEARD of.

The Earth just stopped rotating.
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
What????? A country is IGNORING a UN statement or declaration!

That is just IMPOSSIBLE. It is UNHEARD of.

The Earth just stopped rotating.

Are you the parrot of hubbahubba or what? I know it's foolish of anyone to think S. Korea would ever listen to Ban, Ki-moon but this is different because it's not that simple. Yes, countries often turn their nose up at the UN but it's especially not nice when they do it to Ban, Ki-moon. Nonetheless, I think this is a little different since S. Korea is the first country to do so with the CERD. Congratulations S. Korea Laughing
rollo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the woman HIV positive? She is not currently employed as a teacher is she seeking another e-visa? If the answer to either of the questions is no, I sense the power of the mighty whitey attitude or mental illness. That being said Korea is doing the right thing as far as HIV positive people.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Angeloser wrote:
At the OP's first link given go to the blog and get an update, S. Korea has ignored the CERD.

I went to the blog...but only see the original story.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:
mighty whitey attitude

Racism has no place on this forum. I am tired of people trying to define people by bloodline.

We all have the same blood called human blood it's red and comes in types O+, A+, B+, AB+, O-, A-, B-, AB-.

My daughter is not mixed blood, her blood is all red and all the same type. She happens to be 100% Korean and about 20% Australian at the moment, as nationality isn't mutually exclusive. As she gets older she will become 100% Korean and 100% Australian, and if you don't agree with that then take this opportunity now to refuse credit for her future Nobel Prize, Olympic Gold Medal or anything else she might achieve.

As far as South Korea refusing to submit a defense to CERD, if it is true then this is a very troubling development. Korea made a promise to the world when they ratified ICERD and the optional protocol accepting jurisdiction of CERD.

The bigger issue though if this is true, is the violation of the Korean constitution with reference to Article 6.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is nice to see you still miss the point by a mile los angel...oh well.
rollo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down Big Fella 1. Mighty whitey is an expression used to describe people who have the "white man's burden" syndrome. You know the ones who teach a few months in South Korea and aim to "civilize "the populace. either you do not know what racism is or you misunderstood. I was speculating why a woman would seek to get involved in the policies of a country she is not a citizen of?? The topic is about a woman who has appealed to the U.N. about H.I.V testing for the e-2 visa class. The Korean constitution I do not believe covers temporary workers as such it may not be relevant. Korea has made progress in its treatment of H.I.V positive people. I think testing is a good thing more people need to be tested. It is a health issue not a human rights issue. So Koreans should be governed by a non -elected body like the U.N??
Francis-Pax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: HIV Testing Policy Challenged - UN Coalition on Human Ri Reply with quote

tideout wrote:
The story with other links is here:

http://populargusts.blogspot.kr/2012/07/mandatory-hiv-testing-policy-challenged.html

Here's the opener for reference:

The Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights has accepted a claim against South Korea filed by a New Zealand woman who was employed as an English teacher in the country. VOA Correspondent Steve Herman in Seoul reports the case challenges mandatory HIV testing for many foreigners working in South Korea.

I'm posting this as it's been of interest and discussed here in the past.

Regards.

Here is a thought. I used to teach in Korea, but now I am in the Middle East. This HIV testing issue used to make me angry when I was in Korea. Now I teach at a much better job that pays me significantly more money and in a place that does not have negative attitudes towards English teachers.

Complaining about getting tested for HIV here didn't even cross my mind. I also never heard anybody talk about it among my colleagues. True experience...

Reading this thread made me think about it.
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Los Angeloser wrote:

I went to the blog...but only see the original story.

So simpleton I suggested you go to "the blog" not the link. Careful now, you'll have to back up a bit to late Nov.
http://populargusts.blogspot.kr/2012/11/nyt-on-multiculturalism-in-korea-and.html
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
It is nice to see you still miss the point by a mile los angel...oh well.

Sure, only you know what constitutes discrimination. Anyone who thinks otherwise "misses the point." Rolling Eyes

Of course(as you say) S. Korea couldn't have been discriminating against e-2's because they are from 7 different countries. Kyopo exemption means/meant nothing, Korean ethnic supremacy doesn't exist anywhere in the S. Korean gov't especially with rules concerning e-2's.

Korea can't even explain it's own Immigration policy when asked by the CERD people. Gotta admit they have a brilliant bunch there aye, ignoring the issue is best. Congratulations S. Korea Laughing
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you also crusading the world for other forms of discrimination Los?

You must be really racking up the travel miles with your crusader jet and crack team of human rights warriors.

Seriously, if you expect a country to listen to the UN on it`s internal policies, you will be waiting a long time.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Are you also crusading the world for other forms of discrimination Los?

You must be really racking up the travel miles with your crusader jet and crack team of human rights warriors.

Seriously, if you expect a country to listen to the UN on it`s internal policies, you will be waiting a long time.

Credit where credit is due, Japan did not ratify CERD as they know racism is part of their culture.

Korea learnt this racism when they had the Japanese war criminal running the show, yet they ratified CERD.

At least Korea should exit CERD and admit that racism is their culture too.

Sorry it's 2 years since I've been home. I will fix that next month but Korean racism is upseting me at the moment. As I wrote on another post my Korean daughter has red blood, all of the same type. She isn't mixed, she's 100% Korean, hopefully the holiday can help her become more than 20% Aussie. Not I don't hink that equals 120%, they aren't mutually exclusive.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I wrote on another post my Korean daughter has red blood, all of the same type. She isn't mixed, she's 100% Korean, hopefully the holiday can help her become more than 20% Aussie. Not I don't hink that equals 120%, they aren't mutually exclusive.

Question

What do you mean there?

Your daughter is 100% Korean, meaning you are Korean or you married a Korean woman who had her from a previous mariage?

Otherwise, she is mixed no?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: