Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Mokpo good times?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flex Bulkchest

Location: currently?...I don't know it's a room, with a computer....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Is Mokpo good times? Reply with quote

So, I'm still sitting on the fence about heading off on a Korean adventure. I originally wanted to be in Seoul, but the only good job offers I could get ahead of time, which is critical to my lack of funds, are in the south. I'm mostly considering a job in Mokpo. I was wondering if anybody who's been there could shed some light on the city. Was it a good time? Any thing to check out?
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deplore katydid to give you a better answer... Anyways been there three times.. I live in Gwangju, (look at a map) have seen the downtown, and if you really need all the ambiguity for your personaly life, don't head to Mokpo, it is small. ONly 260,000 but rest assured that you can cut the last zero off any population number for a Korean city and get the real feel for the city in a western context. So you are really looking at city of 26,000. Yes, that is right.

Mopko girls are hot, kind of trend setters, yes I am saying that, but I feel I have a rght to too... Go you will be happy, you can always party in Gwangju for the weekends if Mokpo proves too small..
mokpochica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Mokpo. This is my second year living here and I find the people to be very friendly and quite polite.

Check out this town and city guide for more info about Mokpo and other cities. (Mokpo is in Jeollanamdo.)

BTW, Mokpo is growing and I believe the population is about 350,000 now.
katydid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean if my answer is already deplorable? Smile

I was lucky to live in downtown, where I could easily hop on a train to Seoul or Busan if I wanted to go to a larger city. I found the foreigner population to be small and kind of stifling.
I live in Gwangju now, and I have to say, while there is much more to do here, the people in Mokpo were much nicer and friendlier to me. (But that may just be because I now live in a larger city.)
goose_76

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: mokpo is good enough times... Reply with quote

I lived there for a year and I had a good time. When people say it is a "small" city, you have to remember that 47 million people jammed in that tiny country means that even small cities are not so small (population-wise). It can get boring but like someone else said, Gwangju is only an hour away and there is tons to do there. Just make sure you're not picturing "middle-of-nowhere, USA" make no mistake about it- it is a city with lots of people around and things to do... go for it...
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did the op end up in Mokpo?

After a couple of years on the southeast coast I'd still consider living there in Mokpo on the southwest coast for its regional significance for travel.

I spent my summer vacation in the province, going on the 3-hour ferry from Mokpo to the westernmost Korean island of Hongdo, to the landing tide phenomenon on Jindo (couldn't "walk on water" at the time), to a good hike up Wolchulsan, to the green tea hills of Boseong, to the traditional village and hot springs near the southern coast, to a decent week in the Wando region of islands.

I want to return. There's quite a bit for the offbeat traveller and nature enthusiast. Not to mention its proximity to Jeju for affordable weekend excursions.

The one drawback is that there's no Busan within an hour of there. But for someone wanting a year away from the concrete jungles, Mokpo's not a bad choice.

IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: