Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korean penalties were very well taken. Top corner most of the time.
cj1976

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GB penalties were mostly pretty good, but what the hell was Sturridge thinking? He is not Rivaldo or Zidane FFS!
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leicsmac wrote:
hwa jang shil wrote:
Oh Christ No! GB awarded not 1 but 2 penalties! I'm not going out for a week if GB win this.

Both stonewall definite penalties though.

But try telling a passionate Korean that...

We were watching the game on a korean network online and the commentators agreed the first one was clearly a penalty, no outrage, only a bit of dissapointment. They actually blamed the Korean defender on that play. On the second penalty, the announcers were surprised (those two penalties were close together) and thought perhaps the call was more borderline but they sure did not rant or become outraged at the call.

As for the game it was closely contested and the penalties were good. Korea shot very well and so did GB. That last GB shot was a good try and the Korean goaltender made a great save.

As for fans, my wife was pissed off at the two penalties when they happened. After she saw the replays she calmed down but that is no different from sports fans anywhere!

As for the quality of play, I like the olympic tournament because it gives me a chance to see some of the younger players that may end up on the world cup team eventually. Quality of play is up and down but overall it is competitive and fun to watch.

I also enjoyed the women's soccer tournament where Canada and Japan have done very well. Entertaining games for the most part.
catman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really thought the better team won.

Would love to see Korea meet Japan.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
Although GB were probably the better of two fairly poor teams, they didn't take their chances when they had them..

You are literally the only person I have come across who thinks this. I didn't watch the whole game, so don't have a person opinion, but most of the post-match reaction seemed to suggest the better team won.
cj1976

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
Although GB were probably the better of two fairly poor teams, they didn't take their chances when they had them..

You are literally the only person I have come across who thinks this. I didn't watch the whole game, so don't have a person opinion, but most of the post-match reaction seemed to suggest the better team won.

Team GB created more chances than Korea and got into their penalty area more times, but on the whole their passing was piss poor. Korea on the other hand, passed the ball better but were quite toothless up front, except for the goal that the keeper really should have saved.
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guo Shang was allowed to progress to the next race despite straying into her opponent's lane. Trying to placate China?

The claim that Philip Hindes' remarks were 'lost in translation' is also transparently thin.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
cj1976 wrote:

Some Korean journalist/commentator spread a lot of lies before the game, that GB were almost unbeatable. So obviously Koreans were over the moon with the victory, and felt like they had achieved something really special. Fair play to them for winning, it was a good achievement, but myself and none of the other British that I've spoken to about the game are too shocked at losing. Since when did footballers from the British Isles become a force to be reckoned with in international tournaments?
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an epic game between Canadian Women's soccer team and the US. Christine Sinclair was absolutely brilliant and both teams played their hearts out. A classic match.

Kudos to the US for overcoming 3 one goal deficits and taking the game with hardly a minute left in the second OT stopage time.

The ref made one decision that raised eyebrows (giving the US a free kick in the Canadian box for a delay of game on the canadian goalie) but I cannot say she (ref) was at fault there. The game was quite physical but for the most part clean.

Congrats to the US and now go Canada for the bronze.
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the disappointment in being knocked out of the football by Korea, I can take great comfort in knowing the French are 'baffled' by GB's success at the games. A picture says a thousand words..

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/londonspy/team-gb-success-leaves-french-perplexed-104810081.html
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I love the reply the Brits gave them: 'Our wheels are round'.

Normally in the Olympics I love seeing how Australia and New Zealand do. Because you are like how the British should do if you take away cynicism, negativity, laziness, and bad habits. Now we have this phenomenal cycling team who just blow these stereotypes away. And Australia has been *just* falling short of gold so many times it's like you're jinxed this time around.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an American I have to say the Canadian women got robbed this morning, calling a 6 second violation on a goalkeeper without being warned by the center referee? NEVER heard that one called except at maybe the U12 rec level by a 15 year old referee

then a handball on the resulting free kick? hand/arm was in a natural position and it appeared not to play the ball NOBODY calls that one at that point unless the referee's name is Moreno and are running for office in the US.

Almost as bad as Korean television's coverage of the games. London OLYMPIC???? Anchors doing the "Tea Han Min Gook!!!!" cheer (Imagine Bob Costas going "USA USA!!!! during a telecast?) 2 channels showing the same event at the same time? god it makes me want NBC's coverage, thank god I have a BBC One stream going
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ +1 for keeping your perspective real
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian women absolutely robbed. It wasnt just that one terrible call either. Blatant hand ball by Americans in goal area right before that insane call. Several times Americans pu the ball out but blamed on Canadians. Frustrating to watch Canada play their best game ever only to have a ref pre-determine the outcome. I guess a grudge match for the US to get revenge on Japan for the World Cup is better TV than Canada in the final. Officiating has been corrupt across all sports this Olympics. Water polo and boxin refs have already been disciplined, bit I wont hold my breath for FIFA to act, especially against the USA.

At least our girls didnt sit on the pitch crying for over on hour.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
Canadian women absolutely robbed. It wasnt just that one terrible call either. Blatant hand ball by Americans in goal area right before that insane call. Several times Americans pu the ball out but blamed on Canadians. Frustrating to watch Canada play their best game ever only to have a ref pre-determine the outcome. I guess a grudge match for the US to get revenge on Japan for the World Cup is better TV than Canada in the final. Officiating has been corrupt across all sports this Olympics. Water polo and boxin refs have already been disciplined, bit I wont hold my breath for FIFA to act, especially against the USA.

At least our girls didnt sit on the pitch crying for over on hour.

Don't worry, her in crying on the fencing platform has accomplished more in her life and worked harder at what she does than me or you as an English teacher. I certainly won't sit in judgment.

I mean how much different is that from people who live in Korea for years yet come on to message boards to whine about how life isn't fair here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: