Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Canadian fan I would not say the woman's team got robbed or that the ref made calls to assure a US-Japan finals.

The ref apparently warned McLeod to get going with the ball. That call is indeed quite rare but heck it was not a phantom call either. As for the handball, Nault twisted away from the ball and let her arm drop, the ball hit her hand squarely after deflectin off the arm of another canadian defender. The ref really has no chance here, the penalty has to be called. Also remember that such calls are made in split seconds without the benefit of sitting on your couch with a cold beer watching HD slow motion replays from dozens of camera angles.....

I am proud of our girls and will root for them in the Bronze medal game. The American team also played a heck of game and never game up. That winning goal was absolutely fantastic even if it did break our canadian hearts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:

At least our girls didnt sit on the pitch crying for over on hour.

Right. Our girls (a handful or so, including our Captain) just refused to shake hands with the opposing team. Complete garbage. Where's the class, ladies?

As for the game: Very exciting, but the right team won. We gave up 3 different leads. We deserved to lose. We were simply "hanging on" for most of the game. The better team won.

Canada needs to stop their whining. It reeks of the insecure, petty, big-brother envy that we're so well known for. Kinda reminds me of another little country from the East that complains a lot
catman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I am sure the players and their British coach would have had no problem with the result if their opponent had been Brazil.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job by the men's Korean soccer team securing a bronze medal. They won a well played (exept for the first 10 minutes where Korea looked hesitant) game against Japan and the US women's team. I was hoping Japan won because I prefer they style of play but the US fully deserved the win.

Kudos to the Canadian Women for getting a Bronze vs France. They basically played (not willingly) the rope-a-dope with France and scored the winner in the 92nd minute.
madoka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
Forgive me, I am British. Showing your emotions so openly - and in public no less - just won't do!

For the Brits on Dave's who complained about crying during the Olympics . . . oh the irony!

From the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443659204577575401395853744.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

Among the three countries with the most gold medals thus far, China cries the least, with only 7% of its athletes succumbing to tears. More than 17% of American winners cried, while a whopping 37.5% of athletes from host country Great Britain cried.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IOC doesn�t want South Korean player to accept bronze after making political statement

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/ioc-says-south-korean-player-t-accept-bronze-145955541--oly.html

Quote:
IOC officials have recommended that a South Korean soccer player will be barred from collecting his bronze medal after he celebrated his team's victory over Japan by holding a sign that addressed an ongoing, hot-button political flap in the region.
Jongwoo Park held up a sign that read, "Dokdo is our land," a reference to a peninsula that both the Japanese and Koreans claim as their own.

I like the fact that he wrote his sign in Korean. That way, he was sure to convince the people who most need convincing that Dokdo belongs to Korea. Well thought out.

Last edited by flakfizer on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
Forgive me, I am British. Showing your emotions so openly - and in public no less - just won't do!

For the Brits on Dave's who complained about crying during the Olympics . . . oh the irony!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443659204577575401395853744.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

Among the three countries with the most gold medals thus far, China cries the least, with only 7% of its athletes succumbing to tears. More than 17% of American winners cried, while a whopping 37.5% of athletes from host country Great Britain cried.

I had no idea that 37% of British athletes were crying disconsolately while their coaches appealed to the judges.

Oh wait...
madoka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I had no idea that 37% of British athletes were crying disconsolately while their coaches appealed to the judges.

Oh wait...

If I were British, I'm sure I'd be sobbing uncontrollable over your attempt at sarcasm.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Privateer wrote:

Oh wait...

If I were British, I'm sure I'd be sobbing uncontrollable over your attempt at sarcasm.

...or perhaps your use of an adjective where an adverb is needed.
cj1976

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
madoka wrote:
cj1976 wrote:

Oh wait...

Shedding a few tears is nothing to be embarrassed about. Sitting on the floor, wailing in protest like a 5 year old is completely different.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Crying Games. Brits know all there is to know about them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/12/eva-wiseman-column-crying?newsfeed=true

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9464349/London-2012-Olympics-The-Crying-Games.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-19192486
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*beep* you guys find some stupid things to argue about.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
Privateer wrote:
madoka wrote:
cj1976 wrote:

Oh wait...

Shedding a few tears is nothing to be embarrassed about. Sitting on the floor, wailing in protest like a 5 year old is completely different.

Well the British public had a different reaction than you.
drydell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flakfizer wrote:
Quote:
IOC doesn�t want South Korean player to accept bronze after making political statement

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/ioc-says-south-korean-player-t-accept-bronze-145955541--oly.html

Quote:
IOC officials have recommended that a South Korean soccer player will be barred from collecting his bronze medal after he celebrated his team's victory over Japan by holding a sign that addressed an ongoing, hot-button political flap in the region.
Jongwoo Park held up a sign that read, "Dokdo is our land," a reference to a peninsula that both the Japanese and Koreans claim as their own.

I like the fact that he wrote his sign in Korean. That way, he was sure to convince the people who most need convincing that Dokdo belongs to Korea. Well thought out.

Headline news this evening- this story contains two classic elements that will get Korean netizens worked into a frenzy
1 Dokdo
2 perceived injustice again Korean team (denying athlete bronze ceremony)

Right now I can hear the clattering of a million keyboards hunting all other examples of political protest in the Olympics where the teams involved didn't get a similar reprimand..
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Headline news this evening- this story contains two classic elements that will get Korean netizens worked into a frenzy
1 Dokdo
2 perceived injustice again Korean team (denying athlete bronze ceremony)

Right now I can hear the clattering of a million keyboards hunting all other examples of political protest in the Olympics where the teams involved didn't get a similar reprimand..

If he doesn't get his medal I wonder if he'll have to do military service? I suppose on the one hand he won't have a medal but on the other hand he's a martyr to the cause.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: