Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gapyeong Canada Monument in SK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreyden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Gapyeong Canada Monument in SK Reply with quote

Hello, I've been in Korea for about a month now and would like to visit the Canadian war memorial in Gapyeong. I realize that it probably isn't the most exciting monument, but the ship my grandfather served on is listed there and I'd like some pictures for back home.

I haven't been able to find much information about the location however. According to wikipedia it is located at Buk-myeon, Gapyeong-gun, Gyeonggi Province. I think I will be able to get a train from Seoul to Gapyeong Station, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

Has anyone been there before/familiar with the area? Any help would be great!

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapyeong_Canada_Monument)
SMOE NSET

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like your best bet is to go to Gapyeong Station and take a taxi. Basing off of Naver maps, it shouldn't cost you more than 20,000W round trip. Heck, if you are just taking a photo, the taxi driver might just stay and wait for you to finish.

Buses from Gapyeong Station according to Naver:
33-19
33-20
33-21
33-22
33-25
33-26
33-27
33-29
33-30
33-31

They all go to 이곡리 (정미소앞) bus stop #44-159. From there, it looks to be a short walk to the memorial. The bus stop before it is 가평읍 so listen for that and get ready to get off, or write down the bus stop name in Korean and ask the bus driver when you get on to tell you when to stop.

At the bus stop, cross to the other side of the road (should now be opposite of the river) go right and head down the road. You will see a little green fenced in area and the memorial is in there. You can see the memorial from the road. There is a huge brown sign both in Korean and English saying where it is.
Dreyden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Those are great directions, I'll probably head down there in a day or two, thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: