Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

galaxy player 70 plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: galaxy player 70 plus Reply with quote

have you got your hands on a galaxy player 70 plus, and how does it compare in speed to an SII? if you own one, did you put ICS or Jellybean on it and how long do you find the battery lasts?

also ive seen hdmi out mentioned but does it have MHL?
chaz47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: galaxy player 70 plus Reply with quote

chungbukdo wrote:
have you got your hands on a galaxy player 70 plus, and how does it compare in speed to an SII? if you own one, did you put ICS or Jellybean on it and how long do you find the battery lasts?

I have a YP-GB70NB. I don't know if it's a "plus" model. It's my first Android device so I can't compare it to anything like the SII. I primarily purchased it as an eReader but it's become so much more. It's really a handy device. I look at it as a micro-tablet. I have used it for artsy stuff, photo stuff, music composition stuff. In short it rocks.

One quibble I have with it though, is the OS. For some reason, not all of the apps access the camera and mic. For example, my crappy default camera app can access the front facing cam, but no others can. Also, Skype can access the mic, but Kakao cannot. These are probably issues that could be addressed by the app developers?

Do you think upgrading the OS would solve these issues? How hard is it to do? (As mentioned, I am an Android noob.)

Battery life is satisfactory, I've had mine for about a year and still get through a full day and more on a single charge. Although, I rarely use it for video or audio. I typically doodle with it or read eBooks. The pinch zoom feels pretty zippy.

chungbukdo wrote:
also ive seen hdmi out mentioned but does it have MHL?

I don't believe it has an MHL option. Does that requre a separate port? It does indeed have an HDMI out.
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: galaxy player 70 plus Reply with quote

Quote:
One quibble I have with it though, is the OS. For some reason, not all of the apps access the camera and mic. For example, my crappy default camera app can access the front facing cam
On the 5MP front cam, how do you feel the pictures turn out?

Quote:
Do you think upgrading the OS would solve these issues? How hard is it to do? (As mentioned, I am an Android noob.)
I don't have experience with your device or know how well it is supported, but you might want to look up Cyanogen Mod 9. Your device is kind of rare since its only in Korea, but I bet it will be supported by now. Check out the XDA developer forums.

Quote:
Battery life is satisfactory, I've had mine for about a year and still get through a full day and more on a single charge. Although, I rarely use it for video or audio. I typically doodle with it or read eBooks. The pinch zoom feels pretty zippy.
How/why do you doodle with it? Do you have a stylus? What program do you use?

Quote:
I don't believe it has an MHL option. Does that requre a separate port? It does indeed have an HDMI out.
If its like the Galaxy SII, you can do it through your Micro USB when the device supports MHL http://www.handtec.co.uk/shopimages/products/normal/Sam_GalaxyS_II_MHL_Adapter_M2.jpg With that adaptor, you plug a power cord into the square part as well as an HDMI cable into the port you can see there. Then when you're doing HDMI out you can be charging your phone at the same time.

Thanks for your review
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have a quadrant score for this?
chaz47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: galaxy player 70 plus Reply with quote

chungbukdo wrote:
Quote:
One quibble I have with it though, is the OS. For some reason, not all of the apps access the camera and mic. For example, my crappy default camera app can access the front facing cam
On the 5MP front cam, how do you feel the pictures turn out?

It seems to depend on the camera app.

Quote:
chungbukdo wrote:
I don't have experience with your device or know how well it is supported, but you might want to look up Cyanogen Mod 9. Your device is kind of rare since its only in Korea, but I bet it will be supported by now. Check out the XDA developer forums.

Quote:

chungbukdo wrote:
How/why do you doodle with it? Do you have a stylus? What program do you use?

I use Sketchbook Mobile and my finger, so far as I know I can only use the rubber nipple style stylus which is only marginally better than my finger. Once I am done with a sketch I export it to Pixlromatic for filters. At first I did it just to be silly but actually got some interesting metallics using Pixlr... pretty low-res though.

Quote:
chungbukdo wrote:

If its like the Galaxy SII, you can do it through your Micro USB when the device supports MHL http://www.handtec.co.uk/shopimages/products/normal/Sam_GalaxyS_II_MHL_Adapter_M2.jpg With that adaptor, you plug a power cord into the square part as well as an HDMI cable into the port you can see there. Then when you're doing HDMI out you can be charging your phone at the same time.

Thanks, hit a busy spell at work... will follow up on this OS upgrade later.

chungbukdo wrote:
Thanks for your review

Sorry for the late reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: