Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And so it begins...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_pizza wrote:
Captain Corea
Quote:
I've always wondered when this sort of violence would raise its head here.

Sad story, but I'm rather intrigued by this comment. Care to elaborate? (Not that I'm in disagreement....or agreement!)

Basically, I've posted on here before about how the 'youth' in the West are pretty dangerous (while for the most part, it's middle-aged men in Korea that seem to be the bigger perpetrators).

Now, with how this story first read to me, it felt like that 'thug youth' culture had creeped its way over here.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I've always wondered when this sort of violence would raise its head here.

Man dies after brawl with teens

Quote:
A 39-year-old man died after an argument with teenagers resulted in a brawl while his wife and 6-year-old child looked on.

The Suwon Seobu Police Precinct said yesterday they booked a 16-year-old suspect, surnamed Kim, without detention on charges of bodily injury resulting in death.

The authority also charged another person, identified as Shin, 21, without restraint for assault.

What was to be a nighttime family outing turned out to be a tragic event on July 21 when Kim told a group of five teenagers sitting next to him at a table in front of a convenience store in Suwon, Gyeonggi to stop spitting and quiet down. The scolding soon turned into a heated argument and brawl.

The father of the 6-year-old hit his head on the asphalt, causing a brain hemorrhage, after being kicked in the head by the 16-year-old Kim.

Unconscious, Kim was immediately transported to a nearby hospital and underwent an eight-hour operation but died on Friday, six days after the surgery.

The suspect fled the site but later turned himself in to the authorities.

Sad story but it sure did not begin today! Something like that happened in the area I lived in Busan in 1998. An Ajuma was beaten severely by teens when she intervened because they were bullying a little kid.

These events may become more common (or more widely reported due to internet and social media) as teens change. This would not be a positive development. Also as the subsequent posts showed, this event seems to be a bit more complex than dangerous teens being violent.
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for what happened.

I warn everyone to NEVER assume that a Korean teenager will fold and to use your judgement. Are you in an empty park? Are you outnumbered? Are they bigger than you?

As westerners we are taught to think that Koreans respect older people etc. While most of them do, you have no idea if that INDIVIDUAL teenager does or not.

My tiny Korean girlfriend (26 years old) came home on a Saturday at about noon last summer after going for a jog and she was looking really down. While jogging through an empty section of the park she saw a big middle school girl bullying an elementary school girl. She thought that the stare would be enough but the middle school student was oblivious. My girlfriend told the middle school girl to move along, she stunned my girlfriend by swearing and physically intimidating her. Ironically (and luckily) a group of male high school students came biking through the park. As soon as the middle school bully saw that the 3 Korean dudes were not indifferent and were coming over she took off.

I was really angry and I even thought of going to some of the schools in the area to find the girl and report what happened to the principle. My girlfriend didn't want to pursue it because she was too embarassed.
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main thought on reading this was 'good on the guy for telling them to stop spitting'

I thought spitting was almost universally acceptable here, so I'm glad some people find it disgusting.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Now, with how this story first read to me, it felt like that 'thug youth' culture had creeped its way over here.

Thug youth in Korea is nothing new. Even in "my day" there were plenty of kids who carried knives and acted like gangsters and got into brawls. I mentioned it plenty of times here. I heard it was even worse in some schools and areas. It seems worse now because the media is bent on making stuff as sensationalistic as possible but as far as I could tell, this stuff was going on for a while. And none of those kids were listening to NWA. Most of that violence was/is directed at other kids rather than adults so I think its one of the reasons it hasn't gotten as much media attention.

I don't think an adult should think he can go around scolding younger people just because he's older. Too many think respect for elders means everybody younger than you shoud treat you like a boss.

Still, as far as random acts of violence, I do think it's something more likely to happen in the States.
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect these stories will only get more common with the spoiled kids growing up these days

Seoulman69 wrote:

What a sad perspective you have on this. One of the things I like about Korea is that people respect their elders but the youngsters seem to have lost that. The guy was probably saying what most people were thinking. Sadly, standing up to idiots cost him his life.

Don't you think there are too many old Koreans who abuse this system? It makes me angry seeing old people tell younger people to give them their seat on the subway, and not manage a thank you or even a smile/nod for it. Manners cost nothing. So many old Koreans have no class at all
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
I expect these stories will only get more common with the spoiled kids growing up these days

Seoulman69 wrote:

What a sad perspective you have on this. One of the things I like about Korea is that people respect their elders but the youngsters seem to have lost that. The guy was probably saying what most people were thinking. Sadly, standing up to idiots cost him his life.

Don't you think there are too many old Koreans who abuse this system? It makes me angry seeing old people tell younger people to give them their seat on the subway, and not manage a thank you or even a smile/nod for it. Manners cost nothing. So many old Koreans have no class at all

That is your judgement and you have a right to it. Calling them classeless is ignorant in my opinion. They were raised in a society where elders were respected and defered to. Things are changing but frankly that 70 year old man or woman is not gonna change. Also, there has been a clear degradation of certain things over the past decade in Korea and some clear improvements as well. I would not call youths not giving up their seats for elderly on public transit a positive development....but hey to each his own.

I for one always give up my seat for an elderly person, a pregnant woman, someone who is injured or handicapped and a mother with young kids. Thats just called kindness and thinking of someone other that yourself.

This was automatic in Korea a short 10 years ago, now it is rarer and rarer as kids pretend they do not see the old person as they focus on their Iphones....
sirius black

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems Korea is having 'growing pains' from the younger generation, the gen x and y'ers who have grown up with a bit more western influences and attitudes than the previous generations.

Korea (as well as Asia in general) does have that tradition of respecting your elders. America was no different decades ago when pretty much any adult could scold any kid in their neighborhood.

The 39 yo is from a generation where he expected the kids to adhere to him with a simply 'Ya' and being verbally scolded.

The kids are becoming more like 'typical' western kids and the older folks are staying Asian.

We've read articles now where parents are excusing the behavior of their children as opposed in the past where they would be embarassed by it and beat their kids for the same behavior.

As for the bullying, the same thing with regards to the bullies not being afraid to stand up to anyone, adults included. Kids are committing suicide due to bullying. Bullying is part of western school life as well and is traumatic. Many movies have been based about the HS student who was teased and years later has been affected by it.

Sadly, this story will probably be repeated as Korea goes through the same cultural changes that western nations did as moved into an industrialized 'modern' nation.
nautilus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, the westernization of Korea is nearly complete.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:

Somehow that does not sound all that positive. Laughing
nautilus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
nautilus wrote:

Somehow that does not sound all that positive. Laughing

Wink We'll know its complete when K-girls are all pushing prams at age 16 and the guys all have dreds.

Then it'll be a truly advanced nation
fermentation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you didn't read the article or are interpreting the story as you see fit.

Quote:
Don't you think there are too many old Koreans who abuse this system?

Yes definitely. I'm sorry but I don't see it as a positive when random adults can scold younger people because of what they perceive as rude. Being automatically given respect simply because you happen to be old is pretty stupid in my opinion.

I'm guessing most you won't so nostalgic about the "old days" if people older than you can hit you or scream at you because they can. That has happened to me when I was a kid. I personally welcome the progress.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not related to this, but a Korean co-teacher had recently told me that many parents here no longer scold their kids because they are afraid they'll have low self esteem. Yeah, I know...we're all rolling our eyes. Kind of stupid! Having too much self esteem is not always a good thing especially when you don't learn to correct your behaviour and arrogance is bred.

That said, a guy mouthing me off just because he's older ain't going to fly either. Respect ought to be mutual. But, if an 80 year old gets mouthy back home, I think we'd all let it slide. If a 45 year old does, we'll show him one of our fingers.
nautilus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Being automatically given respect simply because you happen to be old is pretty stupid in my opinion.

I don't think so... I think its a good guideline which helps preserve civilized society.

However I agree that older people who manifestly abuse their status should indeed immediately lose any special treatment they enjoyed.

Sorry but I know for a fact that I am wiser and deserving of a modicum of automatic respect from people half my age. Certainly at least my students!
rainman3277

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
fermentation wrote:
Being automatically given respect simply because you happen to be old is pretty stupid in my opinion.

I don't think so... I think its a good guideline which helps preserve civilized society.

However I agree that older people who manifestly abuse their status should indeed immediately lose any special treatment they enjoyed.

Sorry but I know for a fact that I am wiser and deserving of a modicum of automatic respect from people half my age. Certainly at least my students!

Respect is based on overall, not one thing. Because you are older? Heeeeeeeell no. I know some guys who have done certain things I respect, but the body of their work makes we have no respect for them as a person.
Guys who always provocate 'respect for age' are you generally do so because they have trouble earning that respect
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: